337 replies to this topic

#61 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

Is it too hyperbolic to call this the Miracle on Pitch if they pull it out?

Eh it's not the same since the American team isn't comprised of college kids and I don't think Brazil is as dominant as the Soviet hockey team was. Either way, this is still great to watch.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#62 PeteyNice

PeteyNice

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

I mean, Spain and Brazil back-to-back (especially a Brazil team that kicked their ass earlier in the tournament) is not unlike the USSR/Finland in 1980.

It is very much unlike it. Leaving out the socio-political elements of USA/USSR, the American team in 1980 was a bunch of amateur kids while the Russian team was all professionals.

The US soccer team, like the teams from Brazil and Spain are all professionals.

Also, that came in the most important international hockey tournament at the time. The Confederations Cup is not nearly as big a deal.

It would be a major upset sure, but it cannot compare to the Miracle on Ice.
"Yo moms so fat, Russia can see her from THEIR house." -Anil Dash

Palin 2012

"Demand for Portland" -- Consumerist.com

"The New York football Giants marched into Little D and made 'America's Team' their prison bitch....[and next week the G-Men] will push the Packers up and down the frozen tundra like their own private zamboni!" -- Carl from Adult Swim

(No longer) Gotta check this every day

Living in constant fear of Fox Security

A proud member of the Reality Based Community

Official Nemesis of Triumph

"The player is fine." -- Brian Cashman

"[PeteyNice] f off!" --LOULAM1

"Petey, you're MY NEW HERO!!!" -- CRASHER

"bow chica bow wow" - RoughDraft

"I did it with panache and style, that's how I did it" - Mad Sweeney

#63 arena2004

arena2004

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Haha wow, never saw this one coming , but thats the great thing about football anything can happen.

Still wont count out brazil though.

Brazil is sick, funny as I grabbed some pickup chow and was talking to the owner who is Italian and two of his workers are from Mexico. Didn't know what to expect prior to the game but all three were in agreement the US had to score first only because "Brazil gets to emotional", that was from one of the Mexican guys who, looking at the game right now, looks dead on.

Lotta time left but big time prayers for Howard who has been a stud! LETS WIN THIS!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

"
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."

2010 Bon Jovi Tickets Here!

Posted Image

#64 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#65 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

Crap.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#66 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

Crap.

Yeah I 2nd that....1 minute in too :rant:

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#67 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

I just turned the game off since I'm nervous. I figure I'll browse the web, shave, take a shower and hopefully come back to see the US didn't collapse. Still its amazing the heart this team has showed.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#68 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

Damn, 2-1? Missed the Brazil goal. Cmon...

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#69 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

big break for US, that was in the net
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#70 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Man I hope the US can win by at least 2 now, so that goal/non-goal/whatever doesn't become a big issue.
--John Buccigross

#71 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

Howard, AGAIN .. biggest save of the night
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#72 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

I mean, Spain and Brazil back-to-back (especially a Brazil team that kicked their ass earlier in the tournament) is not unlike the USSR/Finland in 1980.

Not really, i expected you guys to get torn apart.

The trouble is this isnt a big tournament.

If the last two games were world cup games in any round then they would have been two of the greatest upsets in international football history.

If you guys do win its still an incredible feat.

Although your team is pretty good and they shouldnt be seen as a complete supprise, dempsey, spector, howard, guzan bocanegra, DeMerit , besley , and Bradley all play in top top divisions in europe.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#73 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

well that sucks
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#74 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

Ouch!!

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#75 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Well, ah well.. better luck in the WC next year
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#76 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

I was moderately joking because I wanted to use the term Miracle on Pitch. I understand the amateurs/professionals and social differences.

Regardless, the fact that the US had no business being where we are right now is fairly similar.

...sh!t.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#77 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,963 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#78 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

I like Casey.. i have a feeling hes gonna do something
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#79 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Well that sucks.

Nonetheless, an amazing ride.

And I'm sure many, many Americans watched a soccer game for the first time this afternoon.

#80 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,950 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

What a fvcking choke that ended up being. I don't want to hear about how this was a great step. I'm so fvcking pissed off right now. We had that game and we blew it.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 28 June 2009 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users