Pekka Rinne signed a extension with NSH

SterioDesign

Grab some big mobile european kid, with a good defense he plugs his .913 sv% or so.

The irony that this is coming from a Devils fan. For years others have bashed Broduer saying he was only good because of our defense. They would say things like 'grab some mobile french canadien kid, plug him into the devils, and he would put up the same numbers'. lol

Also, Rinne faces tons of pressure because their team spends much of the game in their own end. Yet, they'll amass 100 points. Rinne is insanely good.

Edited by devlman

The irony that this is coming from a Devils fan. For years others have bashed Broduer saying he was only good because of our defense. They would say things like 'grab some mobile french canadien kid, plug him into the devils, and he would put up the same numbers'. lol

its a never ending story that we're gonna have to hear forever

• Brodeur was only good because he had good defense in front of him.

• Devils are done without Brodeur he was the only reason they we're winning.

lol well buddy pick one

Rinne is not insanely good. Remember 2 years ago when everyone was on Ryan Miller's nuts? Last year he was good. No one thought he was worthy of a Vezina. He took a decent team to the playoffs and lost in the first round. That's what's likely to happen with Rinne, given that he was merely good the two previous years. Except I don't think Nashville will make the playoffs this year.

Anyway, there's no convincing some people, but that contract is abysmal. Thankfully NJ won't be getting involved in that mess - hopefully they can get Vokoun.

Also re: Brodeur - it was to a large degree the defense. Brodeur was an above-average goalie for many years, but he was never the best in the league, and he even had some really bad seasons (2001, for instance).

Edited by Triumph

Also, Rinne faces tons of pressure because their team spends much of the game in their own end. Yet, they'll amass 100 points. Rinne is insanely good.

Except we've seen Nashville replace other capable goalies like Vokoun before, and post-lockout NHL is a bit different than pre-lockout NHL in how important a goalie is.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Rinne is not insanely good. Remember 2 years ago when everyone was on Ryan Miller's nuts? Last year he was good. No one thought he was worthy of a Vezina. He took a decent team to the playoffs and lost in the first round. That's what's likely to happen with Rinne, given that he was merely good the two previous years. Except I don't think Nashville will make the playoffs this year.

Anyway, there's no convincing some people, but that contract is abysmal. Thankfully NJ won't be getting involved in that mess - hopefully they can get Vokoun.

Also re: Brodeur - it was to a large degree the defense. Brodeur was an above-average goalie for many years, but he was never the best in the league, and he even had some really bad seasons (2001, for instance).

no one thought of miller for the vezina? Do you follow hockey? Lol. Either way I don't even see the relevance to how rinne isn't exceptionally good. So miller and rinne aren't really good goalies? Haha ok whatever. Ignore every goaltending stat they dominate in and leading mediocre teams to good regular seasons. But if they lose first rd they must be overrated. Here's a suggestion - actually watch them play.

Edited by devlman

no one thought of miller for the vezina? Do you follow hockey? Lol. Either way I don't even see the relevance to how rinne isn't exceptionally good. So miller and rinne aren't really good goalies? Haha ok whatever. Ignore every goaltending stat they dominate in and leading mediocre teams to good regular seasons. But if they lose first rd they must be overrated. Here's a suggestion - actually watch them play.

lol like you can see save percentage. the difference between elite (.920) and average (.910) is one shot in a hundred.

no one thought of miller for vezina in 2011.

lol like you can see save percentage. the difference between elite (.920) and average (.910) is one shot in a hundred.

no one thought of miller for vezina in 2011.

Oh what was I thinking, watching the games is meaningless when analyzing a player, duh! ....some people just apply odd logic to things. You're simply delusional and wrong on everything you have said in this thread. You really should try actually watching the games. You'll see all the qualities of an elite, worldclass goaltender. And he posts the numbers to boot. I'm wastingmy time with this.

Edited by devlman

Oh what was I thinking, watching the games is meaningless when analyzing a player, duh! ....some people just apply odd logic to things. You're simply delusional and wrong on everything you have said in this thread. You really should try actually watching the games. You'll see all the qualities of an elite, worldclass goaltender. And he posts the numbers to boot. I'm wastingmy time with this.

I watch plenty of hockey. My point is that you cannot see the difference between goalies. But okay, Rinne is world class, because you said so.

They're two years apart. How can Bernier be the "Future"

Not in the sense that they play Quick til he retires and then plug in Bernier. But to ease Bernier in. Then again, I don't really follow LA nor watch many of their games... so my opinion only comes from Phil Esposito / Scott Laughlin from my drive home (XM's Home Ice)

Good move by the Predators. It was mentioned here a few times that they are a salary floor team which is absolutely incorrect. Their owners have stated several times that the money is there to be at the midpoint of the cap and that they are setting themselves up to be able to afford the big 3. It's been speculated that Shea Weber was just waiting to see what happened to the other two before signing a big contract in Nashville because he didn't want to be the only big fish in the pond. If this helps get the ball rolling on the other two, the deal is even better.

Rinne, Weber + Suter signed to long term contracts in Nashville almost guarantees that team they will have a long string of playoff appearances. Basically the poor-mans Stevens, Niedermayer and Brodeur.

Edited by Lateralous

Good move by the Predators. It was mentioned here a few times that they are a salary floor team which is absolutely incorrect. Their owners have stated several times that the money is there to be at the midpoint of the cap and that they are setting themselves up to be able to afford the big 3. It's been speculated that Shea Weber was just waiting to see what happened to the other two before signing a big contract in Nashville because he didn't want to be the only big fish in the pond. If this helps get the ball rolling on the other two, the deal is even better.

Rinne, Weber + Suter signed to long term contracts in Nashville almost guarantees that team they will have a long string of playoff appearances. Basically the poor-mans Stevens, Niedermayer and Brodeur.

they signed the worst one to a terrible deal. they are currently a floor team - if they've been authorized to spend more, great, but their roster does not have a significant amount of fat on it, so it's not like they are going to be able to make signings in addition to these players. they are a smart organization with a good system, but this contract is going to severely hamper them - there's absolutely no guarantees that they won't become a floor team again in the future.

they signed the worst one to a terrible deal. they are currently a floor team - if they've been authorized to spend more, great, but their roster does not have a significant amount of fat on it, so it's not like they are going to be able to make signings in addition to these players. they are a smart organization with a good system, but this contract is going to severely hamper them - there's absolutely no guarantees that they won't become a floor team again in the future.

Again, thats some odd logic you are trying to fit there. If they are currently a floor team or near-the-floor (even with this huge contract) then they wont be hampered from signing more players...Even with a new Weber contract they'll still have space to sign good players.

Great deal by the Preds.

Again, thats some odd logic you are trying to fit there. If they are currently a floor team or near-the-floor (even with this huge contract) then they wont be hampered from signing more players...Even with a new Weber contract they'll still have space to sign good players.

Great deal by the Preds.

huh? Teams have an internal budget - some teams, like the Rangers, can go over the salary cap, but the teams that are at the salary floor are there by choice, not because they are saving cap room. Right now Nashville doesn't have a second pairing or scoring depth, and they don't have it in part because of their internal budget.

Edited by Triumph

Is your argument that Rinne isn't that good or that you shouldn't spend that much on a goaltender in general?

The sentiment the past few seasons seems to be that you don't need high priced goaltending to win in the playoffs, which is somewhat true since it's a total crapshoot most years. Most goalies in the NHL are capable of stealing a game or series so by securing the top tier guys you're really just increasing your odds that they will play well when needed. That being said, goaltending is still hugly important during the regular season (look at Phoenix the last two seasons).

The key for Nashville is that they have 3 guys who by all accounts want to stay but are waiting for the others to jump first. So while this may be 1.5 million more than you ideally want to pay a goalie, if it helps them lose the reputation of not being able to afford their own UFAs and lock up Suter and Weber, is it worth it? He's also one of the faces of the franchise at this point. I think Nashville is slowly becoming a really good little hockey market and continuing the string of playoff appearances will do nothing but continue to build on the support they have.

As for depth, they do pretty well with the drafting and development. Between Klien, Blum and Ellis, I don't think they have much of a problem on the back end. Every year I watch the draft and wonder why they don't draft a scoring forward, but if they lock up the big 3 and hit on a few forward draft picks, they can make the occational run in the playoffs. Also, teams like the Preds that are always developing good talent will be able to trade for some extra offensive help at the deadline in years they think they have a shot to win after the majority of salary has already been paid. Lindback can probably be used as trade bait for more offense this year with Pickard waiting in the wings.