Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

I have little to no faith in Niese repeating 2012 ever, who knows if he'll ever build up the arm strength again even if his injury is on the less severe side and doesn't require surgery

Buck is a disaster, shame D'Arnaud's progress back has been so slow. Mets have a guy in Vegas named Francisco Pena...honestly I can't imagine he's any worse than Recker or Buck at this point.

With Niese, guess we'll see.  It's always nice to have a lefty in the rotation, and if all goes well, Niese shouldn't be more than a #3 in a 2014 rotation and beyond...hopefully he's a #4 in time. 

I think where we have to temper immediate expectations is with Wheeler.  It's great that he's here, but I don't think it's going to be pretty for a while.  Think 5 IP, 100-pitch, 4 BB-type outings.  But he's both out of the PCL and pitching for the Mets...as long as it doesn't get really ugly, him learning to pitch at the major-league level on a team that can afford to let him go through growing pains can only be a positive, as long as Terry doesn't abuse him. 

I think it's Buck and Recker no matter how ugly it gets, until D'Arnaud gets here (and it may not be any better initially, but at least with him there's HOPE).  But with Buck's overall season performance (which would be about as bad as it gets if not for those first 10 games), I'm guessing if the Mets do actually manage to trade him, they're not only going to get next to nothing in return, they're probably going to have to pick up most (if not all) of his remaining salary as well.  But at least he's not going to be here in 2014, no matter what. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hefner's ERA comes down to 3.72.  He made five starts in June and had an ERA of 1.80 for the month.  That number is a little misleading (he also allowed 6 unearned runs in June), and clearly he's not dominant (33 hits allowed in 30 IP in June), but when you keep the walks down (only 5 in those 30 IP), you can get away with giving up a few more hits.

trancer70, welcome to the Mets forum.  Been kind of quiet in here lately, nice to see a new face. 

The Mets have quietly gone 15-14 in their last 29 GP, and 7-3 in their last 10.  At 25-40, this team was on pace for 62 wins, and people were talking about this team possibly losing 100 games (I never really saw them losing that many, but winning 70 was starting to look like a major challenge).  At 32-43, they're now on pace for 69. 

They've hardly been a model of consistency in going 15-14 (often the mark of a .500 team), but playing .500ish ball over 29 games has to be seen as a minor step forward for a team with a .427 winning pct overall.   

As for what the second half may bring...lots of questions.  Will Wright fade again in the second half?  Will Murph bounce back from a weak June and start finding ways to get on base when he's not in one of his unconscious streaks?  (Murph is 7-for-his-last-23, maybe he's getting it going again.)  Can Ike Davis come back up and not suck?  Will Zack Wheeler somehow instantly thrive like Matt Harvey, or will he go through growing pains?  Does Niese come back, and if so, how will he perform?  Can Hefner continue to surprise?  Can the bullpen remain hot?

As we know with question mark teams, not everything will work out in their favor, but if a lot of things break right, this team could possibly flirt with .500 ball the rest of the season.  There's 87 games left, so say they go 43-44 the rest of the way...that would make them 58-58 over 116 GP, which considering the expectations, and the fact that Sandy did very little to help the Mets at the major-league level, would be an impressive feat.  But if the Mets DO manage to do to pull that off (and like I said, a lot will have to go right), suffice it to say Met fans aren't going to tolerate a 10+ games-under-.500 record by the middle of May next season.  They will expect Sandy to be aggressive in improving the team...if the Mets bottom out again and finish in the mid-60s win-wise, even though we won't be happy about it, I think we'll all come to the realization that 2014 will be what 2013 was supposed to have been.    

you just know right away with parnell when he's completely helpless. In fairness though this is his 3rd consecutive day working. I just wish Terry didn't manage that game away in the 8th. Maybe we could've avoided using him

Edited by '7'

The bullpen isn't going to get it done every game, but Collins didn't handle it well at all.  Though I think Collins took out Harvey when he should have (he looked gassed to me), if Parnell wasn't off limits, why the hell did Terry wait until the game was tied before bringing him in?  If Terry brought him in for one extra out and it didn't work out, fine, at least he goes down with his best. 

BTW Harvey's last 5 starts:  34 IP, 19 H, 6 ER (3 of which came because Collins went too long with Harvey against Atlanta), 4 BB, 43 K. Guy is so scary good.  And it's so damned maddening how the Mets continually find ways to not win for him.   

Nice bounce back win to wash away some of the funk of last nights disaster. Gee is pretty solid when he's not pitching at Citizens Bank Park. And nice to see Murphy come back to life with 3 hits. Even worthless Buck had an RBI single!

Time is coming to unload Byrd. We can't make the same mistake as with Hairston last season

Edited by '7'

I hear what you're saying about Byrd, and I would lean towards trading him too, but the Mets might need him or a guy like him next season to play in the outfield...there's simply not many bodies in the system capable of being passable major-league outfielders right now.  Doofus really should not be back next season, as a first baseman or outfielder. 

If other teams aren't willing to give up anything remotely useful (and I know the return on Byrd isn't going to be anything huge), it could be argued it might make sense to keep Byrd and sign him for another year, but it would be risky for sure.

re:  Buck, kind of sad when an RBI single is cause for major celebration.  He just had as bad a month as a player could possibly have:  .162 BA, .225 OB%, .230 SLG, .455 OB+SLG.  It's pretty much impossible to be this bad and still get consistent major league at-bats. 

At this point, why not give Recker a few games, if only because it's almost impossible for him to be any worse at the plate than Buck was in June? 

Some weird numbers for RA Dickey:

In his last 11 starts:

0 ER: twice

1 ER: once

2 ER: 3 times

6 ER: 3 times

7 ER: twice

Now that the Jays are trying to claw back into things, must be maddening not to know what Dickey is going to give them from start to start. 

Speaking of other ex-Mets, Francoeur has just been designated for assignment...which probably means he will find his way onto another major league-team, have a pretty good first season or so with his new team, then suck again.  Guy seems to have a way of hanging around...1205 major-league games for his career.  Suffice it to say the Braves (as usual) knew what they were going when they gave up on him.

I hear what you're saying about Byrd, and I would lean towards trading him too, but the Mets might need him or a guy like him next season to play in the outfield...there's simply not many bodies in the system capable of being passable major-league outfielders right now.  Doofus really should not be back next season, as a first baseman or outfielder. 

If other teams aren't willing to give up anything remotely useful (and I know the return on Byrd isn't going to be anything huge), it could be argued it might make sense to keep Byrd and sign him for another year, but it would be risky for sure.

re:  Buck, kind of sad when an RBI single is cause for major celebration.  He just had as bad a month as a player could possibly have:  .162 BA, .225 OB%, .230 SLG, .455 OB+SLG.  It's pretty much impossible to be this bad and still get consistent major league at-bats. 

At this point, why not give Recker a few games, if only because it's almost impossible for him to be any worse at the plate than Buck was in June? 

For me age is a concern with Byrd...he's turning 36 this August, his 2011 and 2012 indicated a steady decline. I don't know what to make of his 2013, rebirth or anomaly? His obp is still pretty bad. But I love that he plays extremely hard every time, no dogging balls in the outfield, runs hard to first all the time.

Not sure what kind of return we'd get for Byrd. A solid bullpen prospect?

I'm not saying it would be ideal to keep Byrd, and he's not great by any stretch.  The Mets are just so screwed from an outfield standpoint.  I was thinking of his age when I said it would be very risky to keep him around another year...trust me, I'd be worried about it too.  But I don't think he's bringing anything much back of significance...I'm sure other GMs are well-aware of his weaknesses too.  I think he fetches back a marginal prospect at best, unless he gets crazy hot before the deadline...then maybe something a little better.  I think the Mets have to take the very best player they can get for him, regardless of position.

I think it's safe to say Wheeler's ascendance isn't going to be nearly as quick or smooth as Harvey's...looks like his route will be much more conventional, in that it's not going to be pretty at first.  Three starts, and it hasn't been easy for him in any of them.  24 baserunners in 16 IP, and a lot of pitches thrown. 

FINALLY, a Mets pitcher drills someone in retaliation!  About fvcking time!

Thank God Buck hit a dinger when it really mattered.

Oh well, one of those days.  16-16 over their last 32 GP. 

Dickey wins today to even his record at 8-8. 

Gotta admit, I still root for the guy.  Really comes off as a genuinely good guy in the Knuckleball! movie.  I would love to see him have a strong second half...hard to believe he's got more wins than Harvey.

Dickey wins today to even his record at 8-8.

Gotta admit, I still root for the guy. Really comes off as a genuinely good guy in the Knuckleball! movie. I would love to see him have a strong second half...hard to believe he's got more wins than Harvey.

I saw that movie recently too, impossible not to miss the guy really given how unique he is.

Last 33 GP:  17-16

Mets actually drew some walks for a change...even John Buck did...three of them!

Seven game hitting streak for Satin...now batting .395 with a .511 OB%.  I think we all know it's very likely Satin will cool off in a big way eventually, but the fact is he's made the most out of his opportunity.  So I think he deserves to play for a while and ride this out, no matter what Ike Davis does for Vegas.

And sadly for Ike, that's not much lately.  He went 0-for-5 with 3 K last night.  He's now 3-for-22 in his last 6 GP, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 3 BB, 6 K.  He's playing like a guy who belongs in AAA...outside of that 5-dinger-in-four-game burst, he hasn't done much. 

Syndergaard is off to a nice start in AA:  2 starts, 11 IP, 9 H, 3 BB, 16 K, 2.45 ERA.  He might see a little AAA ball before the season's out at this rate.

Montero is having a rough time so far since being promoted to Vegas:  18.1 IP, 27 H, 16 R, 12 ER, 7 BB, 19 K, 5.89 ERA.  Always hard to tell how much of a pitcher's struggle is PCL-related or if that gets inside a guy's head, but Montero is known for having pinpoint control...7 BB in 18.1 IP is a lot for him.  He's still getting his Ks, but he's really giving up a ton of hits.     

I think Ike probably expected to be called up after that HR streak, and has been slowly stewing since then (as evidence his tantrum the other night that got him ejected in the 6th)

on another note, Byrd did homer last night ggABD6A.gif

I think Ike probably expected to be called up after that HR streak, and has been slowly stewing since then (as evidence his tantrum the other night that got him ejected in the 6th)

on another note, Byrd did homer last night ggABD6A.gif

Whoa? That has to be Photoshopped or something. I saw the replay a bunch of times in HD last night and it CLEARLY hit the orange top of the wall. Where did you find that .gif? That's definitely a fake. 

Here is HD footage from MLB.com, again clearly hits the top of the wall it couldn't even be more obvious honestly: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28519333&game_pk=undefined

Edited by nmigliore