Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Remember when the Mets were as many as 15 games under .500 (on June 15 and again on June 17)?  From June 18 on, they've quietly gone 13-8.  They actually have a winning record in their last 40 games (21-19). 

Things have really worked out well for Anna Benson since the Mets traded her (now-ex) husband:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/baseball-wives-anna-benson-arrested-breaking-estranged-husband-kris-benson-house-article-1.1393203

I just remember how annoying she was...she was a 7 who strutted around like she was a 10, and after the Mets traded Benson just one season into his new contract with them, she said things like "We wouldn't have signed here if we had known we'd be traded."  Right Anna, like the Mets signed YOU when they signed Kris. 

It was clear that the Mets were quickly growing tired of her nonsense, and I remember Kris going on the WFAN (think it was with Mike and the Mad Dog) and being resigned to the fact that the Mets were fed up with Anna's trailer-trash nonsense.  He also sounded extremely bummed about it all...by most accounts, he's supposed to be a very mellow and straight-laced guy, and a pretty nice one too.   

Ed Coleman reports Marcum is likely done for the year.

Not surprising; this is what Marcum is, we all knew it, and it's a big reason why a starter who posted an above average ERA and FIP from 2010-2012 could only land a 1 year, incentive-laden deal.

Torres is the most likely replacement. Solid numbers as a starter in the PCL this season and he's looked great in relief. 

Edited by nmigliore

Wright has been an on-base machine this series. OBP for the season as of right now is over .400. Beautiful.

In his last 11 GP, Wright has walked 13 times and struck out only 4.  Can't do any better than that. 

Wright has been a beast since June 5...the RBI number is low, but that's not his fault...nobody hitting before him gets on base with any regularity:

31 GP, 129 AB, 20 RS, 47 H, 13 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 13 RBI, 19 BB, 21 K, .364 BA 

OB% for all of June was .402, and for July so far it's .490. 

Sadly, Daniel Murphy's season is growing more mediocre by the day.  OB% is now down to a pretty bad .302. 

Listened to Fatso talk with Coleman yesterday (pretty much the only reason I listen to Fatso at all, to hear what Ed has to say about the state of the Mets).  Here's what was said:

1) Fatso and Ed don't think it's worth trading Byrd, in that they don't think he'll bring anything back, and that he's good for the clubhouse and very well-liked.  I admit that a month ago I was probably on the same wavelength, but Byrd's numbers are now pretty damned solid...he's on pace to hit 26 HR and drive in 88 runs in 484 AB for the season.  I don't think it should be a foregone conclusion that he couldn't bring something back, even if it's a low-level A-ball, something of a longshot-type prospect.  But I don't see the point of keeping him around and not at least exploring the trade market...the Mets are playing better lately, sure, but they're still 9 games under .500, and should the Mets be passing up a deal that could help them in the years to come, just so they can have the slightest chance of winning 80 games in 2013?  I say no.

2) Apparently Satin's problem is that he's a hitter who doesn't possess power and doesn't really have a position...according to Ed, he's a pretty bad fielder in all positions he's played.  He's also slow on the basepaths.  Sounds like Daniel Murphy, but Murph was able to make himself a decent second baseman with time and hard work.  Satin played most of his minor league games at second base...I wonder if that's worth exploring again?  As much as we all know Satin isn't going to be a .362 hitter, he HAS shown the ability to draw walks (Murph flat-out doesn't do that).  Satin looks like a guy who might be able to get on base to the tune of 35-36% of the time, and hit some doubles while he's at it.  I like Murph's attitude and we all know the guy gives a sh!t and works his ass off, but I think he's pretty much plateaued as a player, and he's simply not very good at anything.  Satin looks like he has a shot to be a .290-.300ish hitter who can walk. 

3) Fatso feels that Wheeler is probably a long way towards becoming a consistent winning pitcher in the majors.  I have to agree on that.  I think the Mets did the right thing in bringing him up, in that I'm all for getting starting pitchers out of the PCL as soon as possible, and I think it's a good thing for the Wheeler types to see how tough the majors are.  So far, Wheeler looks like a guy who might not be ready, but I want to see him start another 3 games or so and see how they go, then go from there.  I don't think it would be a bad thing at all if he had to go back down...the PCL doesn't seem to bother him anymore, and he'll have gotten a nice taste of the majors.  Ideally it'd be great if he could improve up here, but based on what I've seen so far, don't know if it's going to happen.  Feels like a longshot right now.

4) Ed and Mike feel like it would be a bad idea to trade Parnell, unless the Mets are overwhelmed with an unbelievable offer.  I agree on this as well.  It's true that his success is coming on a team that is playing with minimal pressure, but he really seems to have turned a corner.  I've already shown how bad outings tend to be isolated...he promptly goes back to becoming the unhittable stud he's been since late last season after rough games.  The closest thing he's had to a "slump" was a three-outing stretch from June 4 to June 9 (two losses, 2.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER).  Since then?  A 1-1 record, 7-7 in saves, 14.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K.  He has not allowed a HR this season.  So while I'm not 100% opposed to the Mets moving him, I do think they have to get a great return to justify doing so.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Ed Coleman reports Marcum is likely done for the year.

Not surprising; this is what Marcum is, we all knew it, and it's a big reason why a starter who posted an above average ERA and FIP from 2010-2012 could only land a 1 year, incentive-laden deal.

Torres is the most likely replacement. Solid numbers as a starter in the PCL this season and he's looked great in relief. 

Good for Torres...yeah, was having a good season in the PCL.  He's 30 years old and clearly isn't going to be a long-term starter, but nice to see a guy get a chance after looking like he might not get another one (previous call-ups with the White Sox and Rockies didn't go so well).  It all starts with an opportunity.

In his last 11 GP, Wright has walked 13 times and struck out only 4.  Can't do any better than that. 

Wright has been a beast since June 5...the RBI number is low, but that's not his fault...nobody hitting before him gets on base with any regularity:

31 GP, 129 AB, 20 RS, 47 H, 13 2B, 1 3B, 6 HR, 13 RBI, 19 BB, 21 K, .364 BA 

OB% for all of June was .402, and for July so far it's .490. 

Sadly, Daniel Murphy's season is growing more mediocre by the day.  OB% is now down to a pretty bad .302. 

Listened to Fatso talk with Coleman yesterday (pretty much the only reason I listen to Fatso at all, to hear what Ed has to say about the state of the Mets).  Here's what was said:

1) Fatso and Ed don't think it's worth trading Byrd, in that they don't think he'll bring anything back, and that he's good for the clubhouse and very well-liked.  I admit that a month ago I was probably on the same wavelength, but Byrd's numbers are now pretty damned solid...he's on pace to hit 26 HR and drive in 88 runs in 484 AB for the season.  I don't think it should be a foregone conclusion that he couldn't bring something back, even if it's a low-level A-ball, something of a longshot-type prospect.  But I don't see the point of keeping him around and not at least exploring the trade market...the Mets are playing better lately, sure, but they're still 9 games under .500, and should the Mets be passing up a deal that could help them in the years to come, just so they can have the slightest chance of winning 80 games in 2013?  I say no.

2) Apparently Satin's problem is that he's a hitter who doesn't possess power and doesn't really have a position...according to Ed, he's a pretty bad fielder in all positions he's played.  He's also slow on the basepaths.  Sounds like Daniel Murphy, but Murph was able to make himself a decent second baseman with time and hard work.  Satin played most of his minor league games at second base...I wonder if that's worth exploring again?  As much as we all know Satin isn't going to be a .362 hitter, he HAS shown the ability to draw walks (Murph flat-out doesn't do that).  Satin looks like a guy who might be able to get on base to the tune of 35-36% of the time, and hit some doubles while he's at it.  I like Murph's attitude and we all know the guy gives a sh!t and works his ass off, but I think he's pretty much plateaued as a player, and he's simply not very good at anything.  Satin looks like he has a shot to be a .290-.300ish hitter who can walk. 

3) Fatso feels that Wheeler is probably a long way towards becoming a consistent winning pitcher in the majors.  I have to agree on that.  I think the Mets did the right thing in bringing him up, in that I'm all for getting starting pitchers out of the PCL as soon as possible, and I think it's a good thing for the Wheeler types to see how tough the majors are.  So far, Wheeler looks like a guy who might not be ready, but I want to see him start another 3 games or so and see how they go, then go from there.  I don't think it would be a bad thing at all if he had to go back down...the PCL doesn't seem to bother him anymore, and he'll have gotten a nice taste of the majors.  Ideally it'd be great if he could improve up here, but based on what I've seen so far, don't know if it's going to happen.  Feels like a longshot right now.

4) Ed and Mike feel like it would be a bad idea to trade Parnell, unless the Mets are overwhelmed with an unbelievable offer.  I agree on this as well.  It's true that his success is coming on a team that is playing with minimal pressure, but he really seems to have turned a corner.  I've already shown how bad outings tend to be isolated...he promptly goes back to becoming the unhittable stud he's been since late last season after rough games.  The closest thing he's had to a "slump" was a three-outing stretch from June 4 to June 9 (two losses, 2.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER).  Since then?  A 1-1 record, 7-7 in saves, 14.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K.  He has not allowed a HR this season.  So while I'm not 100% opposed to the Mets moving him, I do think they have to get a great return to justify doing so.     

Gary Cohen mentioned the other day that Murphy may be just fatigued from the Mets unprecedented brutal schedule. Times like this I wish we had Turner to give him a few breathers. Murph and Wright have been the only constants in this lineup. Still he did get a big sac fly last night against a lefty, and another hit as well

Rumor has it the Red Sox made an offer for Parnell, but the Mets countered and asked for Jackie Bradley...which then Boston promptly rejected.

Yeah the Mets aren't getting Jackie Bradley or a prospect anywhere near that good for Parnell. I do hope they keep shopping him though.

Should have just thrown this into my post last night but Wright is sitting with a 159 OPS+ right now; single season high is 149 (2007). He's pretty much right in line with what he was doing in his career peak in the mid-2000's: .300+ AVG, near-.400 OBP, .500+ SLG. Nothing but encouraging to see after giving him that long deal and in light of last year's weary 2nd half.

Murphy just seems to get a little more disappointing each day; his defense has been real shoddy of late and he's hitting just .219/.256/.290 since June. His season 92 wRC+ ranks 16th out of 21 qualified 2B and he's 13th in fWAR (and could rank much lower if you substitute DRS for UZR as the defensive component).

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah the Mets aren't getting Jackie Bradley or a prospect anywhere near that good for Parnell. I do hope they keep shopping him though.

Should have just thrown this into my post last night but Wright is sitting with a 159 OPS+ right now; single season high is 149 (2007). He's pretty much right in line with what he was doing in his career peak in the mid-2000's: .300+ AVG, near-.400 OBP, .500+ SLG. Nothing but encouraging to see after giving him that long deal and in light of last year's weary 2nd half.

Murphy just seems to get a little more disappointing each day; his defense has been real shoddy of late and he's hitting just .219/.256/.290 since June. His season 92 wRC+ ranks 16th out of 21 qualified 2B and he's 13th in fWAR (and could rank much lower if you substitute DRS for UZR as the defensive component).

If Parnell continues to pitch well, you may be able to get a team to do something drastic if that team gets desperate enough. 

Agree on Wright, the nightmare scenario I envisioned as a possibility (a full season like last year's second half) has come nowhere near to fruition...like I said, only down number is his RBI, and that is not his fault.  The only downer is you wonder how many of these kinds of seasons Wright has left.  Sucks to see what is shaping up to be a terrific season (and fairly consistent) for Wright getting wasted, but Passive couldn't be bothered with trying to make 2013 relevant, so that's how it goes. 

Murph is pretty much proving now that he's not an everyday player on a good team, tired or not.  His weaknesses persist.  2013 was meant for this...filtering out the meh players.  Right now I think Murph has got to be put in the soyonara category with guys like Doofus (the Mets BETTER be moving on from him, enough already) and others. 

I don't know how the Mets will possibly be able to do this, but I would love to see Satin get extended playing time at second base.  Find out if it's even an option...at the very least, we can find out what he's got at the plate.  Because I think the Mets have given Murph enough time to prove he can be more than an average everyday player, and he's proving that, save for those unconscious hot streaks he goes on here and there, he's just that - very average.  Too bad, I wish his heart could be transferred to more gifted players.   

If Murphy keeps performing badly and Satin keeps finding ways to hit in limited playing time, maybe we see it. I doubt it's something that will work -- Satin looks the part of a 1B/DH or player without a position (which is the same conundrum with Wilmer Flores) -- but in the 2nd half of a lost season, it wouldn't hurt to try. 

If Murphy keeps performing badly and Satin keeps finding ways to hit in limited playing time, maybe we see it. I doubt it's something that will work -- Satin looks the part of a 1B/DH or player without a position (which is the same conundrum with Wilmer Flores) -- but in the 2nd half of a lost season, it wouldn't hurt to try. 

I know Satin has the look of a guy without a position, but so did Murph.  Satin could very well be a train wreck at second...it's more of a "what the hell?" thing for me...like you say, it can't hurt to try, and right now Satin is more intriguing to me than Murph.  I think we've firmly established what Murph is.  Satin is still a mystery. 

Cain gone after 2/3rds of an inning...threw 36 pitches.  What the hell happened to their pitchers this year?

Good for Zack.  First game where he didn't seem to be fighting himself. 

3-1 record, 3.54 ERA 

At least some of Zack's numbers look pretty good at a quick glance. 

Mets now 16-9 since June 15.  Damn.

No one can tell me Byrd has no trade value.  Maybe he won't be nearly as good in 2014, but he looks like he can help someone in 2013.  And he's CHEAP.

Yeah, great job by Wheeler tonight. Definitely his best start so far.

101 pitches in seven innings is a hell of a lot better than 101 pitches in five, lol. 

Funny how Terry says the Mets have to start keeping Harvey's innings down.  Does this clown even listen to himself?  YOU are most of the problem here Terry! 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Has anybody heard ANYTHING about Travis D'Arnaud?  Is he ever going to play again this season?

101 pitches in seven innings is a hell of a lot better than 101 pitches in five, lol.

Funny how Terry says the Mets have to start keeping Harvey's innings down. Does this clown even listen to himself? YOU are most of the problem here Terry!

Maybe 'someone' in the front office had a sit-down with TC after the latest push the envelope start with blisters...

He's still hurting a bit when running. Sure seems like he'll be a September call up at best.

Man, lost year for Travis.  He's going to be 25 at the start of next season too...getting up there a little. 

Has anyone noticed what Oliver Perez has been up to in Seattle the last two years? He's seriously been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. I kid you not. He's back to throwing hard, he's suddenly throwing strikes, and he's missing tons of bats this season. He's not just doing it against lefties -- his strikeout rate is actually higher against righties this season. Some other fun facts:

- He has the 7th highest Zone%, that is pitches inside the strikezone, among all pitchers with at least 60 IP since 2012.

- He has the 17th highest F-Strike%, that is first pitch strike rate, among all pitchers with at least 30 IP in 2013.

- He has the 7th lowest Contact%, that is contact rate against, among all pitchers with at least 30 IP in 2013.

- His 1.92 ERA since 2012 is the 8th best among all pitchers with at least 60 IP.

Jeff Sullivan, who wrote an article on Oliver Perez today for Fangraphs, pretty much summed it up best:

It’s almost inconceivable that Perez would develop into a reliable strike-thrower, but here we are, and this is our universe. A few years ago, Perez threw strikes like he thought strikes were balls. Now he has the same strike rate as CC Sabathia. This is a sport that we try to predict.

Baseball can be really weird.

Has anyone noticed what Oliver Perez has been up to in Seattle the last two years? He's seriously been one of the most dominant relievers in baseball. I kid you not. He's back to throwing hard, he's suddenly throwing strikes, and he's missing tons of bats this season. He's not just doing it against lefties -- his strikeout rate is actually higher against righties this season. Some other fun facts:

- He has the 7th highest Zone%, that is pitches inside the strikezone, among all pitchers with at least 60 IP since 2012.

- He has the 17th highest F-Strike%, that is first pitch strike rate, among all pitchers with at least 30 IP in 2013.

- He has the 7th lowest Contact%, that is contact rate against, among all pitchers with at least 30 IP in 2013.

- His 1.92 ERA since 2012 is the 8th best among all pitchers with at least 60 IP.

Jeff Sullivan, who wrote an article on Oliver Perez today for Fangraphs, pretty much summed it up best:

Baseball can be really weird.

I hadn't even noticed since Ollie had been so "out of sight, out of mind" but wow....nobody could've anticipated such a turnaround. Still I don't think he could've done it here under intense media scrutiny

meanwile Jason Bay is hitting .214 (albeit with 11 home runs)