Elias snubbed again - St. Louis to replace Crosby at ASG

DevRickus

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=405848&...vid=DL|NHL|home

MONTREAL -- NHL All-Star Weekend just a little bit more hometown flavor.

Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay's top scorer and a native of the Montreal suburb of Laval, was named Thursday to replace an injured Sidney Crosby on the Eastern Conference roster for the 2009 NHL All-Star Game.

St. Louis, who has 46 points, is making his fifth All-Star Game appearance and his third straight. On the Tampa Bay scoring chart, he is two points ahead of Vincent Lecavalier, who was named to the All-Star Game earlier this month. The Lightning also sent rookie Steven Stamkos, the No. 1 pick in the 2008 Entry Draft, to perform in the Youngstars Game presented by Upper Deck.

Crosby withdrew Thursday from the 2009 NHL All-Star Game, which will be played Sunday (6 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS, NHL Radio, XM Radio) at the Bell Centre, because of injury concerns.

No offense to St. Louis but thats a disgrace:

Martin St. Louis - GP - 47, G - 17, A - 29, P - 46, +/- +11, PPg - 4, SHG - 2, GWG - 1

Patrik Elias - GP - 47, G - 20, A - 34, P - 54, +/- +14, PPG - 6, SHG - 2, GWG - 5

How does a sh!tty team like Tampa get 2 guys in? And I remembered Doc saying Elias is going to Mexico for a vacation so if thats the case and he said no then I am fine with it.

Mexico? Oh no! Tell him to bring his own water and food!!!

This is a good thing. Elias gets his rest and he doesn't get hurt.

Unless he's going to a club with his favorite pair of stretchy sweatpants on...

I am happy he isnt going but it is still ridiculous. The guy has done enough in this league to maybe earn a little respect.

According to TG, Elias had no interest in going as a replacement.

"When I pointed out to Patrik Elias last week in Columbus that Crosby was ailing, he said he had no interest in going to the all-star game as an injury replacement. He already had plans to go away for the long weekend."

Ugh...much as I understand Patty not going I wish the NHL had just given him the nod so he could decline them originally.

And I really hope they offered this to Phil Kessel before St. Louis. Otherwise that'd just be a disgrace.

Kessel still has mono, he isn't going to be back till mid-February probably.

I love Elias but let's be realistic, it's not a snub when the player himself says he has no interest in going as an injury replacement. I'm not even sure being left off the team in the first place was as much a snub as it is an inevitable consequence of trying to fill out a 21-man roster with at least one player from all 15 teams, and having four Habs being voted into the starting lineup.

Edited by Hasan4978

Kessel still has mono, he isn't going to be back till mid-February probably.

I love Elias but let's be realistic, it's not a snub when the player himself says he has no interest in going as an injury replacement. I'm not even sure being left off the team in the first place was as much a snub as it is an inevitable consequence of trying to fill out a 21-man roster with at least one player from all 15 teams, and having four Habs being voted into the starting lineup.

Oh right forgot about that. Still think St. Louis was not the next obvious choice however.

Oh right forgot about that. Still think St. Louis was not the next obvious choice however.

I could care less either way, but just to play devils advocate, there's only three EC players who have more points than St. Louis (whose +/- of +11 is like a +25 on a good team) and aren't on the All-Star team already: Elias - who didn't want to go, David Krecji of Boston who's in the YoungStars game anyway, and Nicklas Backstrom of the Caps who withdrew from the YoungStars game himself.

Edited by Hasan4978

I could care less either way, but just to play devils advocate, there's only three EC players who have more points than St. Louis (whose +/- of +11 is like a +25 on a good team) and aren't on the All-Star team already: Elias - who didn't want to go, David Krecji of Boston who's in the YoungStars game anyway, and Nicklas Backstrom of the Caps who withdrew from the YoungStars game himself.

Krejci actually isn't in the YoungStars. This is his 3rd year in the league technically, although he really only played a few games in the 2006-2007 season before suffering a concussion.

Edited by devilsrule33

Krejci actually isn't in the YoungStars. This is his 3rd year in the league technically, although he really only played a few games in the 2006-2007 season before suffering a concussion.

Ah...I guess you'd better tell Yahoo! then :lol:

Jan 22 C David Krejci, headed to Montreal as a future star, had two assists in each of the last two games and is 3-8-11 over the last seven.