A different take on "Miracle"

KitKatTGM

A Fair-at-All-Costs Coach? That Would Be a Miracle

T.J. Simers

February 10, 2004

It's a hockey movie, which ordinarily would make it the worst kind, but knowing ahead of time it didn't end in a tie suggested "Miracle" was going to deliver a satisfying payoff.

In fact, the Disney account of the U.S. hockey team's gold-medal victory in the 1980 Olympics was not only uplifting, as you might expect, but entertaining and loaded with the kind of first-rate hockey action you'd expect to see

Yes, it's way too cynical. For every Knight that goes too far there's a Parcells who doesn't and wins.

The irony is Brooks was not the bad cop by nature (at least he wasn't when he dealt with professionals later on), but he knew with college kids he had to put his foot down more, especially when he was dealing with kids from different parts of the country and various rivalries (Boston-Minnesota).

You should have known that it was a $hitty article in the thread title. The writer is from LA nuff said. Hes just a hollywood beat writer who knows jack about sports. I hate people like this guy who have to make a stance just to be different and want attention and the same hate goes for hollywood too.

I've heard Brooks admit that he was deliberately cruel to unite the players against him. Anything to unite them. Does that make him a bad human being? No. Those players, while young men, were not children. I wouldn't advise trying it with children. And if you have a coach who did try it with kids I wouldn't want that person coaching kids.

But you notice that none of his players really had a bad word to say about him afterwards...unlike the Soviet players who said plenty about Tikhanov once they were allowed to say it.

The perfect person to write about hockey.

T.J. Simers is the most hockey-phobic writer on the Times, and I normally don't like him, but I still think he made an important point this time.

And I don't really dislike Brooks, though I wish he'd chosen Derian Hatcher to be on the 2002 Olympic Team.

I finally figured out what T.J. stands for in his name... Total Jacka--.

Don't read anything Simers says -- I cancelled my subscription because of him, and I view the L.A. Times as two steps below the National Enquirer for allowing him to write there.

Read the New York Post if you want to read a real newspaper... yes, even they are more reilable than the Times, in my opinion!

It reminds me of the movie *61 when one of the sportswriters asked the other if he ever played baseball. And the little weasel said no.

I never played organized hockey before, so I can't comment on what these guys go through playing. (I have played baseball, football and basketball). I can love the game and understand it, but I was 10 years old when this thing happened and wasn't out in Minny for practice.

Point being. I think old TJ falls into the same category.