Larsson

Daniel

I'm worried because I'm beginning to believe this as well. FW's couldn't generate squat tonight. What does Clowe supposed to do well? Whatever Gionta/Bernier had two years ago is gone. Offensively, we don't pose a threat at all. The Devils are not a team to be scarred of for sure. As much as I like PDB, & I hope I'm wrong, he'll lose his job by mid Nov. There's a reason we are where we are. 

Larsson lost a ton of his upside after being hit by Simmonds a couple seasons ago.

I dont know how old you are, but remember when Pierre Turgeon was an Islander and got destroyed by Dale Hunters cheap shot, well he never was the same after that

Larsson also got rocked by PK Subban, that messed him up too

Larsson is already a pretty good #4 defenseman, unfortunately on this team he is being used at times as basically a #2 (except on the PK). If thats all he ends up being then yes he will be a bust, albeit a servicible one.

But I have to believe at only 20 years old he will do some maturing and improve over the next 3-4 years.

Problem is most fans who are obsessed with prospects and youth don't have any patience with them.

Larsson is already a pretty good #4 defenseman, unfortunately on this team he is being used at times as basically a #2 (except on the PK). If thats all he ends up being then yes he will be a bust, albeit a servicible one.

But I have to believe at only 20 years old he will do some maturing and improve over the next 3-4 years.

Problem is most fans who are obsessed with prospects and youth don't have any patience with them.

I think we'd have some more patience if we had a viable D as a stopgap while Larsson develops but we don't

Well that and actually, you know, letting him play.  Basically his entire game now consists of throwing weak blueline shots toward net in the offensive zone and being hesitant/getting coned in the defensive zone.  His first 50+ games he was a lot better in part cause they had no choice but to trust him.

This is selective memory, thankfully that season is now 2 years in the past so we can all forget it properly.  Larsson made horrible giveaways routinely and was ridiculously overmatched on the power play - it's astounding that they even asked him to play the power play in that first season.  What max is saying is correct - neither Larsson's backward skating nor his turning seems to have gotten better.  Tonight was a rough night for him, but it was a tough night for a lot of the team.  Still, he's only 20, turning 21 soon - there's still plenty of time for him to get better.

there's still plenty of time for him to get better.

I would agree, except that I don't see a real desire to play or improve. He doesn't strike me as a kid that if you call him in the summer to go skate, he does. You want rinkrats on your team. I remember whem Matt Duchene was drafted, they said he could name most players in the league and what sticks and patterns they used. He's into it. I just don't get that vibe from #5.

Also, fixing your skating is not an easy task.

Edited by hystyk28

I would agree, except that I don't see a real desire to play or improve. He doesn't strike me as a kid that if you call him in the summer to go skate, he does. You want rinkrats on your team. I remember whem Matt Duchene was drafted, they said he could name most players in the league and what sticks and patterns they used. He's into it. I just don't get that vibe from #5.

Also, fixing your skating is not an easy task.

This is a cultural issue.  I heard a story about Larsson wanting to use the weight room the night he was drafted.  He seems like a very hard worker to me.  But he is European, so he is probably lazy.

Corey Pronman @coreypronman 50s

Not at all but it is safe to be concerned. RT @Serenitynow418: @coreypronman Is it safe to call Adam Larsson a bust?

I follow him and vice versa. He's pretty solid. I wouldn't give up on Larsson yet. It's Year 3. Defensemen take longer to develop. McIlrath still hasn't made it but partially due to injury. He's 21 and off to a good start with Hartford. Patience must be shown.

The only thing we know for sure about Larsson is he is not on pace to be the next lidstrom or niedermeyer. To some that's a bust but he still has plenty of time to grow into a top pairing d.

In other words, Larsson won't go down in history as one of the ten greatest defensemen.

he looked better the first season he played, but seems to be going backwards

Well if his ability and standard of play is going backwards, if it is anything like his skating we dont have a lot to worry about,  because it wont be going backwards very quickly.  

defense takes a great amount of mental focus, you need to be out in front of the play constantly in your mind. anticipation is a premium and your engine needs to be rev'ing  at 10,000 rpms

larssons turns are not bad, the technical term is a pivot and stepout, he's fine, the problem is what preceeds that his gap control and his backward speed, mainly his speed. and thats most quickly generated by backwards crossovers. i noticed that they worked on those last year after he was sat, he came back quicker with a better motor. unfortunately it doesnt appear to be natural for him and when the bullets start flying things revert.  the question is can he stay focused and amped for 60 mins x 80+ games

btw  a bad as he looked on the kane move, tri was correct, he actually pushed him just wide enough with his length

He is playing more tentative this year, and too afraid to make a mistake.    This is a coaching issue, I wish Larry Robinson were still here because he would be a much better player right now.   I don't see Stevens as the teaching type as a coach.

He is 20 years old, it typically takes a young defensemen about 5 years to fully understand the game at the NHL level.

He is fine.   

The only thing we know for sure about Larsson is he is not on pace to be the next lidstrom or niedermeyer. To some that's a bust but he still has plenty of time to grow into a top pairing d.

I don't think you can really say that considering Lidstrom started playing with the Red Wings when he was 22 or 23. And sure, Lidstrom's numbers were great early on, but look at the team he had around him.

In other words, Larsson won't go down in history as one of the ten greatest defensemen.

Exactly, people overreact. If you thought he was going to be lidstrom level then yes he will be a bust but at only 20 he has plenty of time to grow into a great player.

Edited by dmann422