Cormier pleads guilty, Won't get criminal record

DevilMinder

Thrashers prospect Cormier guilty of assault

ROUYN-NORANDA, Que. - Atlanta Thrashers prospect Patrice Cormier(notes) has been given an absolute discharge after pleading guilty to an assault charge stemming from a junior game last January.

He will not have a criminal record, meaning he will be able to travel to the United States.

Cormier was playing for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League last Jan. 17 when he elbowed Mikael Tam of the Quebec Remparts in the head.

Cormier, who originally pleaded not guilty last month, entered the guilty plea when he appeared in court today in Rouyn-Noranda.

It will be interesting to see if this was an isolated incident and he has put it behind him or will it comeback later in his career.

I don't think someone with such violent tendencies will ever really keep such feelings under wraps. The intent to injure is just too blatant...I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something like this again relatively soon

I don't think someone with such violent tendencies will ever really keep such feelings under wraps. The intent to injure is just too blatant...I wouldn't be surprised to see him do something like this again relatively soon

until he made the hit, i'll be honest in saying i did not know much of his violent tendencies.

Cormier was not a dirty player prior to these occurrences. He also is said to be an excellent team player with tremendous leadership qualities. If there was a way we could trade Clarkson back for him I would do it in a millisecond.

:blink:

I personally wouldn't want such a player on the devils. Ever.

:blink:

I personally wouldn't want such a player on the devils. Ever.

You just admitted earlier in the thread to not knowing much about him but now you're saying you wouldn't ever want such a player on the team? What are you judging him on, three hits that took place in like a four month span? I, too, would trade Clarkson for him without a doubt.

Cormier was not a dirty player prior to these occurrences. He also is said to be an excellent team player with tremendous leadership qualities. If there was a way we could trade Clarkson back for him I would do it in a millisecond.

HE was benched in the World Juniors for a questionable hit too.

Thing of it is, DRAWING penalties is part of the game as well. So if you have a guy out there who's going to get back at someone at all costs? That's just irresponsible. it's irresponsible to have that guy on your ice.

You don't want a cowardly player like that. If you're going to have a lose cannon, he's got to be goofy manly about it. Goofy in that he's willing to get his ass kicked over something -- the key is: willing to get HIS OWN ASS kicked. It's not the fire and fury that your really looking for -- it's a psychotic desire to prove yourself that your looking for. you'll probably meet with eventual success with a guy with that mindset. With a mean mindset -- you're success rate for conversion to decent player is probably pretty slim.

If the base motivation is revenge he's no good -- that's no good. and I dont think you can iron that out. Stupidity can't be ironed out either (Darien Hatcher). :noclue:

You just admitted earlier in the thread to not knowing much about him but now you're saying you wouldn't ever want such a player on the team? What are you judging him on, three hits that took place in like a four month span? I, too, would trade Clarkson for him without a doubt.

And your point is?

You may not realize what a person is capable of until he/she does it. Now that I know he has the actual ability to do something as vicious as literally assaulting someone on the ice for little or no reason, I'm damn happy he's gone and that he'll never wear a Devils sweater.

And no, he's had questionable hits follow him around his entire career. I doubt it's purely coincidental.

And your point is?

You may not realize what a person is capable of until he/she does it. Now that I know he has the actual ability to do something as vicious as literally assaulting someone on the ice for little or no reason, I'm damn happy he's gone and that he'll never wear a Devils sweater.

And no, he's had questionable hits follow him around his entire career. I doubt it's purely coincidental.

Can you please show me some videos of his questionable hits prior to that season?

Edited by devilsfan26

The fact of the matter is, he made some dumb dumb mistakes and cheap ass hits. This last one, shown above, you can see he knew what he was doing. He had the intent to injury another player. It is uncalled for. This is not the hockey that we have all come to love. Sure, hockey has hard hits, sometimes cheap hits, but when something like this happens.....another step needs to be made.

He should face criminal charges. This should be called assault. Players know what they are getting themselves into when playing professional sports....but for it to be caused by something like that? No way.

this video shows a few of his cheaper hits.

Edited by Quinn01

I'm not a big video searcher but he was suspended 2 games in 2008 ...

You saw the video above with three major cheap shots -- the guy was still in Juniors... exactly how many cheap shots do you THINK he should have racked up in what - 3 or 4 seasons in Juniors? :unsure:

This. Youtube his name, keep track of the dates and you'll find more than enough

Scott Stevens had every intent to use his shoulder the same way Cormier used his elbow. The problem is 14 and 15 year olds did not see the eras where cheap shots were common. Cormier has had two questionable incidents that I have seen. He does not have character issues and is not known as a loose cannon. I'm done arguing with fans who first seen the game in 2003.

And your point is?

You have not met him, you probably have no watched him play yet you have made your conclusion on his character based on one video? FANBOYS UNIT!!!!

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

HE was benched in the World Juniors for a questionable hit too.

Lets see how many questionable hits Daneyko has thrown in the corners or going off the ice....this has been going on in the NHL for decades. Cormier crossed the line once and certainly has payed enough for it. I would welcome him back into the organization in a minute and I'm sure Lou would as well. He most certainly didn't want to trade Cormier for Kovalchuk, Dudley insisted he was part of the trade.

Scott Stevens had every intent to use his shoulder the same way Cormier used his elbow. The problem is 14 and 15 year olds did not see the eras where cheap shots were common. Cormier has had two questionable incidents that I have seen. He does not have character issues and is not known as a loose cannon. I'm done arguing with fans who first seen the game in 2003.

Right, because you know this. And it's clear without a doubt from the ample video-evidence that scott stevens was a head-hunter with his shoulder hits, and had intent to injure, right?

Riddence. :hi:

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm not a big video searcher but he was suspended 2 games in 2008 ...

You saw the video above with three major cheap shots -- the guy was still in Juniors... exactly how many cheap shots do you THINK he should have racked up in what - 3 or 4 seasons in Juniors? :unsure:

Scott Stevens tried to injure players each and every game he played. Stevens wasn't trying to separate the player from the puck, he was trying to separate his head from his body. I have no problem with what he did, its part of the game. Cormier crossed the line and we sure as hell don't know if Stevens crossed the line at some point in his career. We weren't blessed with the videos we have today.

Right, because you know this. And it's clear without a doubt from the ample video-evidence that scott stevens was a head-hunter with his shoulder hits, and had intent to injure, right?

Riddence. :hi:

Stevens always hit shoulder to chin and strung up, not shoulder to chest. It isn't like he is a tall defensmen as well. Your just too much of a fan boy to realize your captain was a head hunter. I recognize it and love it. Don't play or watch the game if you don't like violence.

Its not fair to bring up how Scotty played. He played in a different hockey. They have changed what is legal and not legal now in the NHL. Most of Scottys hits would have deff gotten him suspended. Most of Scottys hits were up high in the head area to begin with.

Stevens always hit shoulder to chin and strung up, not shoulder to chest. It isn't like he is a tall defensmen as well. Your just too much of a fan boy to realize your captain was a head hunter. I recognize it and love it. Don't play or watch the game if you don't like violence.

Right, I'm a fanboy. That really cuts me deep. You people make me chuckle. Boy oh boy, get off your high horse, I can only hope to one day become as enlightened as you are about the sport of hockey :pray:

And obviously I'm a puss because I don't want to see someone who tried to kill a kid on the ice play again.

But I digress, I refuse to get into a pissing contest on an online forum. So, in summary:

-I don't think he should play in the NHL without some sort of counseling.

-You think he should be able to, because other players who have done simliar things in the past were allowed to continue playing.

I think you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. Cheers pal :cheers:

Edited by Devilsfan118