Colorado Still Winless At Home...

insanity_gallops

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they're just tired from playing too long in the playoffs two years in a row   :P

like the Devils?

nod.gif Yes YIS, that's exactly what I was saying. I'm pleased you picked up on it. Sublty is a wonderful thing. Seems funny I of all people should be writing that but, you know, one would never know how truly sublte I am!

SIDEBAR:

This is a riot -- check out this aggressively belching smilie! I LOVE it!!

1drink.gif

I was so busy being happy about it, that I didn't even consider the reasons for it.

OK, so right now you've got Forsberg struggling. I don't think he's scored in a few games (but I'm not tied to the stats, so please don't shoot me if I'm wrong).

Do you think the Avs fans are calling for Foppa to be traded like some Devils fans are through minimal games this year re: Elias or Nieds?

I think we're WAY too quick to jump on guys who are struggling. Esp. when other parts of their game ARE working.

Yes, we need Elias to score. And we'd love Nieds to score. Obviously, they know it, we know it, the guys who sweep up at CAA know it.

But I'm not willing to give up key pieces of our unit, because of struggling. Right now, I'd say it's up to Burns to help the guys out who are struggling. As the coach, you figure out how to best work with your players (some want coddling, some need tough talk, some need -- hell I don't know I'm not the coach) and then you get the most out of them.

We have a LOT of talent on this team. We have talent on our team capable of doing things that guys in the league aren't. And while it's not showing it offensively, it is showing defensively (I'll just call Edmonton an aberration for the moment).

The hurry-up face-off is hurting the Avs for 2 reasons, first they always liked to mill around, see who was out there & set up the play (apparently that was a big part of Hartley's strategy). And second, they would delay & delay to get their top guys some rest and they could have extra-long shifts.

Yeah, I heard someone call this the "Bob Hartley rule" cause he's infamous for that.

If Engblom is right, and the forwards aren't helping on defense, they're in a lot more trouble.

Plus, none of the Avs defensemen are particularly fast.. Blake, Morris, and Skoula have better than average speed, but Foote, DeVries, and Muir are not particularly quick. Especially Muir and DeVries.

Methinks the Avs might've traded away Drury too quickly, but it's more likely that they've just made too many changes since the Cup year..

Getting Morris was the right move. Everyone will begin to question it, but the ones that are are the standard practioners of fallacious logic.. i.e. the media. If any of them put thought into their work instead of looking for simple causes.. well, this is a problem all over, so I'll cut this rant short.

Is it possible that ESPN overrated Morris?????

Nahhhhh...couldn't be. :evil:

Seriously, though, people were saying that the enforcement of the obstruction rules was going to be a real problem for Foote. Looks like they were right, what I don't think people expected was that Blake would have issues as well.

Well, true..

But that's true of any player that goes to the Avs. Remember how everyone noted how great Kasparaitis was for the Avalanche? What tripe. He came to New York and plays the same garbage, Marchment-style hockey he always has.

Another player was Theo Fleury, who was expected to lead the Avs to the promised land..

And of course all of the crappy depth Avs that have come along.. Nieminen, Josef Marha, Eric Messier, etc.

The Avs are assuming that Radim Vrbata, Alex Tanguay, and Steven Reinprecht will play the same without Drury.. this might've been a poor assumption. I don't think those three players are that good but they have happened to play with talented linemates.

A rising tide lifts all boats in hockey... it's surprising but I think it's true.

As of right now Drury might be the better player then Morris but I don't think he has that much more upside left. Drury is a good skater with fantastic stick handling skills, but his shot doesn't exactly strike fear into goalies like from Forsberg or Sakic. Morris on the other hand has far more potential and the Avs are pretty good at developing their players. In 2 years from now I predict this trade will definately be in the Avs favor. Drury is at most going to score around 35 goals in his prime, while Morris might replace Blake when he is gone in 4 about for years.

Well it looks like the Avs are going to finally going to win a game at home. They're up 5-3 on the Blue Jackets with just over 5 minutes to go, according to NHL.com's scoresheet.

...ok and in the time it's taken me to write the commentary above, the Blue Jackets have scored a goal. It's now 5-4 Colorado with 3 minutes to go... are they going to blow another lead late in the game?