94 replies to this topic

#21 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

I think the tempting assumption regarding Moose is something along the lines of "Moose has played well in the few games he's seen, give him a ton more!"

We can't assume Moose would keep up his stellar play in consecutive games; he's a backup. He does a fantastic job at what backups do; he isn't necessarily built to start a ton of games like Marty is

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#22 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

marty was fine and far from the reason for the loss. that being said, "fine" will not get the devils very far in the playoffs. for the devils to get past the 2nd round and even into the finals, marty needs to be 02-03 playoff marty.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#23 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

marty was fine and far from the reason for the loss. that being said, "fine" will not get the devils very far in the playoffs. for the devils to get past the 2nd round and even into the finals, marty needs to be 02-03 playoff marty.

They tied the game in regulation. The OT was tie. The Shoot Out started with Kovy scoring first. You know the results Toronto 3 shots 3 goals vs Devils 3 shots 2 goals. Is it Elias to be blamed for the missing a point for missing a goal? Or is it the goalie you called "fine" and ""FAR" from the reason for the loss". Sorry no one else was in goal with the job of stopping the puck? Two scores on the glove side and one down low. Sorry I don't call that "fine" It was his plate, his food.

Edited by LucifersDog, 24 March 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#24 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Marty's career save % in the shootouts is what, 75%?

Yeah, I'll give him a bad shootout once in a while. He's been damn near stellar in them. He got beat glove twice, which never happens..you could tell his was pissed at himself

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#25 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

They tied the game in regulation. The OT was tie. The Shoot Out started with Kovy scoring first. You know the results Toronto 3 shots 3 goals vs Devils 3 shots 2 goals. Is it Elias to be blamed for the missing a point for missing a goal?

..maybe our offense is to be blamed for not scoring 4 or 5 during the game. Or perhaps the defense should've help allow less than 18 shots. :rolleyes: Comical how everyone and everything gets the finger point, aside from Marty. *Newsflash; You're not any less a fan to acknowledge when your goalie had a bad game.. especially when he acquiesces the fact. "That was a tough game for me. It’s my job to try to get a big save somehow and try to win. We should've won that game."
Fact is Marty's won 4 out of his last 13. He absolutely needs to pick up his play, if we're to sustain any type of long run into the playoffs.

I understand the love our fanbase as for Brodeur. All-time great.. the franchise.. I get it. But he's got 26 wins in 53 played. Back on topic of this thread.. if Brodeur struggles at all come April, Hedberg will see playoff time.

..you could tell his was pissed at himself.

..and I admire that about him. It goes to show you that despite being 40, and having won everything possible there is to win, he still cares.

Edited by Beezer34, 24 March 2012 - 12:11 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#26 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hedberg doesnt even exist once the playoffs start unless Marty is historically bad or gets hurt. Its not even worth thinking about.

I personally think Hedberg may get a game if the series' go very long i.e. if the first round goes 7 and then its clear that the next round is going to be a slog as well, we may see Hedberg in a game 4 or 5 sort of situation if we have a series lead, but it really just boils down to how Marty is feeling. I dont see him voluntarily giving up a playoff start at all.

I like your signature. I feel like the number of people out there who are Devils // Seahawks fans is probably small, but I am proud to be one of them. Posted Image

#27 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Toss up at this point...Brodeur will get the start because he's Brodeur, but I would feel slightly more confident with Hedberg in net. He's just quicker.

The Devils don't have the defense for Marty to appear like the 02-03 Marty
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#28 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

What's puzzling to me is that I thought the plan would be that Marty would start to take more time off as the playoffs neared. It looks to me like fatigue is already setting in.
Marty just doesn't have the stamina to go a seven game series and our defense isn't good enough to make up for Marty's fatigue issues.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 24 March 2012 - 03:47 PM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#29 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

They tied the game in regulation. The OT was tie. The Shoot Out started with Kovy scoring first. You know the results Toronto 3 shots 3 goals vs Devils 3 shots 2 goals. Is it Elias to be blamed for the missing a point for missing a goal? Or is it the goalie you called "fine" and ""FAR" from the reason for the loss". Sorry no one else was in goal with the job of stopping the puck? Two scores on the glove side and one down low. Sorry I don't call that "fine" It was his plate, his food.

Except if it was anyone but Marty, or he had stopped all the shootout attempts, we wouldnt have heard a peep from you. You have a very nice habit of disapearing when Marty does well.
It's the whiskey talking.

#30 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

What's puzzling to me is that I thought the plan would be that Marty would start to take more time off as the playoffs neared. It looks to me like fatigue is already setting in.
Marty just doesn't have the stamina to go a seven game series and our defense isn't good enough to make up for Marty's fatigue issues.

Fair. I'd like to see DeBo rest him enough to get his strength up, but not enough to fvck with his timing. It's gonna be a tough balancing act.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#31 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Just alternate between the 2 for the rest of the stretch. If Marty's still struggling and Hedberg is still playing splendid start Moose. Otherwise start Marty, and if he has an awful game one and two then you have to go with Moose.

#32 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,900 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I like your signature. I feel like the number of people out there who are Devils // Seahawks fans is probably small, but I am proud to be one of them. Posted Image

Myself, you, and gdhi make for a small faction on this board. I'm pretty sure Don is also a Seahawks fan if I'm not mistaken. Thrilled we got Matt Flynn; Packers backups tend to do well as starters once they get there.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#33 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Myself, you, and gdhi make for a small faction on this board. I'm pretty sure Don is also a Seahawks fan if I'm not mistaken. Thrilled we got Matt Flynn; Packers backups tend to do well as starters once they get there.

Flynnsanity! I have reason for a lot of optimism though it is cautious. Like you said though, last time we got a Packers backup named Matt... Great things happened. Hass is still my favorite football player of all time.

#34 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I cant remember when Marty ever gave up 3 goals in a row, in a shoot out. Un Marty like.
#35 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

when he comes back with a massive game today everyone will go he is the best omgz.

#36 Gunslinger27

Gunslinger27

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

when he comes back with a massive game today everyone will go he is the best omgz.

Beetle from your lips to godz ears my brotha ! :boogie:
#37 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

But he's no longer the best (playing still)...even he knows that...they should split the remaining games and start whoever is playing better.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#38 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

But he's no longer the best (playing still)...even he knows that...they should split the remaining games and start whoever is playing better.

So when you're career back up falters, your legendary starter has no rythym. Marty is getting these starts for a reason.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#39 hit the post

hit the post

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

So when you're career back up falters, your legendary starter has no rythym. Marty is getting these starts for a reason.

And that reason is ????.... Because he's the best...I've loved the guy for years,but he's not the best anymore...so the legendary stuff go's out the window....play who's playing better at the time...not the fan favorite....you win sh!t with that.
And The Rags Have How Many Cups--Can't win many with a Farm team.

#40 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

And that reason is ????.... Because he's the best...I've loved the guy for years,but he's not the best anymore...so the legendary stuff go's out the window....play who's playing better at the time...not the fan favorite....you win sh!t with that.

The reason is to get him into a rythym. I just said that. If you put in a career backup who has NEVER been a starter into the playoffs and you fail, you bring in a cold Brodeur half way through a series.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users