Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

What places have you all been to before a game and what did you think?

So far I have been to:

Boi Na Brasa

Moupou

Fornos of spain

The Spain

Hell's kitchen

Next game we are thinking either Je's soulfood:

"Je's

34 William St.

(973) 623-8848

This down-home spot may well be the center of the New Jersey soul food universe. Fried chicken, catfish, smothered pork chops and chicken, liver, short ribs, collard greens, mac and cheese -- all the Southern standards are here. I love the meatloaf, and I don't even like meatloaf! Among the visitors over the years: Shaquille O'Neal and Patti LaBelle."

Or Casa Vasca:

Casa Vasca

(973) 465-1350

141 Elm St, Newark, NJ 07105

Casa Vasca: I have tried all the Spanish Restaurants in Newark & have been going to Casa Vasca for the last 25yrs..The food the service is top notch .If you can find Elm street you'll find a great dinning experience.This restaurant has been under the same ownership since I've going.The prices are very reasonable.

Where have you eaten and what have you thought?

What places have you all been to before a game and what did you think?

So far I have been to:

Boi Na Brasa

Moupou

Fornos of spain

The Spain

Hell's kitchen

Next game we are thinking either Je's soulfood:

"Je's

34 William St.

(973) 623-8848

This down-home spot may well be the center of the New Jersey soul food universe. Fried chicken, catfish, smothered pork chops and chicken, liver, short ribs, collard greens, mac and cheese -- all the Southern standards are here. I love the meatloaf, and I don't even like meatloaf! Among the visitors over the years: Shaquille O'Neal and Patti LaBelle."

Or Casa Vasca:

Casa Vasca

(973) 465-1350

141 Elm St, Newark, NJ 07105

Casa Vasca: I have tried all the Spanish Restaurants in Newark & have been going to Casa Vasca for the last 25yrs..The food the service is top notch .If you can find Elm street you'll find a great dinning experience.This restaurant has been under the same ownership since I've going.The prices are very reasonable.

Where have you eaten and what have you thought?

Well, what did you think of all those places? I'm trying Hell's Kitchen for the first time tomorrow and might try Boi Na Brasa before my next game in January.

The only place I've been is Arena Bar. The place has a good bar atmosphere with a decent draft selection. The food is OK at best ... the buffalo sauce sucks though. They've usually got a radio station there pregame doing trivia and offering prizes (last time I won a DVD set for the TV show "24" ... can you say "Christmas gift for mom?"). Go there for the drinking and the fan-friendly atmosphere, but go somewhere else for dinner.

Anyone else care to post reviews?

Wasn't that impressed with Hell's Kitchen.

It took a little while to find, but me and my stupid friends are more to blame for that than anything. Once we got there, a couple of my buddies were taken aback by the dress requirements posted out front. They didn't matter, though, because no one was enforcing the no hat rule or anything else.

The only beers they had available for pitchers were Bud Light and Stella. We got two pitchers of Bud Light, I got the Buffalo Wings, my one buddy got chicken fingers, and my two other friends got burgers. The meat patties for the burgers were smallish, but everything else was fine with them. The chicken fingers looked like they came from alien chickens ... like a cross between BK's chicken fries and calimari. Very weird looking, but not horrible tasting. The only food we had with no complaints were the wings ... got 'em hot and they were very good (to me, you can't be a great sports bar with sub par wings).

Presented with a choice between Hell's Kitchen and Arena Bar, I'm taking Arena Bar.

Now I guess I'll try Boi Na Brasa before my next game in a month or so.

Wasn't that impressed with Hell's Kitchen.

It took a little while to find, but me and my stupid friends are more to blame for that than anything. Once we got there, a couple of my buddies were taken aback by the dress requirements posted out front. They didn't matter, though, because no one was enforcing the no hat rule or anything else.

The only beers they had available for pitchers were Bud Light and Stella. We got two pitchers of Bud Light, I got the Buffalo Wings, my one buddy got chicken fingers, and my two other friends got burgers. The meat patties for the burgers were smallish, but everything else was fine with them. The chicken fingers looked like they came from alien chickens ... like a cross between BK's chicken fries and calimari. Very weird looking, but not horrible tasting. The only food we had with no complaints were the wings ... got 'em hot and they were very good (to me, you can't be a great sports bar with sub par wings).

Presented with a choice between Hell's Kitchen and Arena Bar, I'm taking Arena Bar.

Now I guess I'll try Boi Na Brasa before my next game in a month or so.

The dress code is really for other nights when the locals are there. I asked the bouncer/off-duty cop about the no hats after 11 rule and he said it is amazing the difference in attitudes people have without hats. I guess I just don't get it. gang thing?

We tried to go to the Arena bar after the game and it was overcrowded. DANGEROUSLY so. So we went back to hells kitchen got a table listened to some good music, drank Guinness, and ate wings... plus some of the waitresses are hotter. ;)

Its bar food. Not great but not bad.

'

BTW how the heck did you get lost? didn't you see my directions? :giggle:

The dress code is really for other nights when the locals are there. I asked the bouncer/off-duty cop about the no hats after 11 rule and he said it is amazing the difference in attitudes people have without hats. I guess I just don't get it. gang thing?

We tried to go to the Arena bar after the game and it was overcrowded. DANGEROUSLY so. So we went back to hells kitchen got a table listened to some good music, drank Guinness, and ate wings... plus some of the waitresses are hotter. ;)

Its bar food. Not great but not bad.

'

BTW how the heck did you get lost? didn't you see my directions? :giggle:

We took the train in, Walked up to Je's on Williams.

I had the fried chicken platter, greens, and mac and cheese, and some sweet tea, my cuz had the fried and smothered pork chops, black eyed peas, and mash potatoes, my pops had the baked catfish, greens, and the black eyed peas. and my bro had the same as I did.

We also spilt some homemade bannanna pudding and a pinaple coconut cake.

Best food yet that we had in Newark.

Total cost $80 tip included

I kinda figured that about the dress code thing. But I don't get the late-night no hats rule either.

As for us getting lost? Well, like I said, me and my friends can be pretty stupid sometimes. :doh1: I knew it was on Lafayette, but for whatever reason we walked about eight blocks down Ferry Street checking out all the restaurants and whatnot in the Ironbound. None of us had ever been in the Ironbound section, so chalk it up to unfamiliarity I guess. It was pretty cool to see just how many different dining options there are. It's pretty overwhelming.

I liked the food at Hell's Kitchen better than Arena Bar. But I still prefer Arena Bar, maybe because it reminds me of a college bar and I wish I was still in school. :whistling: Hell's Kitchen is a nice place, though. We got jipped on the waitress front ... there are some lookers there, but we got stuck with the bald dude.

Both places are WAY better than any options we had at the Meadowlands ... oh wait ... we didn't have any there.

I grew up in the Ironbound section of Newark. Here are nearby food places, although some might not be open after a game just call ahead or something.

Portuguese BBQ

FERRY BARBECUE

89 Ferry St.

973-344-7337

PULASKI BARBECUE

384 Walnut St.

973-344-8061

Bakeries/Cafe

Delicia's Bakery

167 Ferry St.973-589-0504

Dunkin Donuts

139 Ferry St.

973-817-8230

Riviera Bakery

124 Ferry St.

973-491-9000

Teixeira's Bakery

186 Ferry St.

973-344-4902

Padaria Brasileira

44 Ferry St.

973-465-4455

Brazilian Food

BRASILIA GRILL

99 Monroe St.

973-589-8682

BRASILIA

RESTAURANT

132 Ferry St.

973-465-1227

CASA NOVA

262 Ferry St.

973-817-8712

HAMBURG

• 2 months later...

Bringing this one back from the dead ....

Does anyone know what the deal is with there being two Boi Na Brasas? I think this Friday I might FINALLY check the place out, but the website has two different addresses (and they aren't very far away from each other, either). Any input?

Also, I've been to Scully's a few times since the last time this thread was alive and kicking. Of the three Newark bars I've been to pre- and post-game, I prefer this one now. The food is better (although, last time I got the reuben and some of the corned beef was cold), beer selection is top notch, and the atmosphere is great. It's definitely my new preferred place to grab a brew (especially now that they've Nazi-ed up the Goal Bar).

Bringing this one back from the dead ....

Does anyone know what the deal is with there being two Boi Na Brasas? I think this Friday I might FINALLY check the place out, but the website has two different addresses (and they aren't very far away from each other, either). Any input?

Also, I've been to Scully's a few times since the last time this thread was alive and kicking. Of the three Newark bars I've been to pre- and post-game, I prefer this one now. The food is better (although, last time I got the reuben and some of the corned beef was cold), beer selection is top notch, and the atmosphere is great. It's definitely my new preferred place to grab a brew (especially now that they've Nazi-ed up the Goal Bar).

Edited by Reverend_Hellh0und

Go to the Chucassaria (sp) one that is better (and closer) imo. word of caution. Park for the arena and walk as ferry st becomes a parking lot.

I like skully's as well but thier Guinnes is $4.00-$5.00 a pint pregame where Hell's is $2.50.....

What did they change at the goal bar?

The Churrascaria is the one on Adams Street, right? I'll be coming from the train so parking won't be an issue, but thanks for the heads up.

The Goal Bar used to be fully open and available to regular ticket holders before and after games. Now regular ticket holders are limited to a roped off section while a curtain is drawn to block the view of the ice (albeit, the one game I saw the curtain was a day game so it may have only been drawn to keep sunlight from hitting the ice). Goal Bar ushers also made one of my buddies go down to the main concourse to go to the bathroom rather than allow him to use the facilities right there at Goal Bar. Beer bought at Goal Bar can't be brought to the concourse either, so you have to pound your drinks before going to your seat at the start of the game (I can understand this rule with mixed drinks, but to do this with beer, which is sold on the concourse, is just ridiculous).

Too many rules and limitations there now. I'll just stay at my Newark bar of preference a little longer from now on, thank you.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

The Churrascaria is the one on Adams Street, right? I'll be coming from the train so parking won't be an issue, but thanks for the heads up.

The Goal Bar used to be fully open and available to regular ticket holders before and after games. Now regular ticket holders are limited to a roped off section while a curtain is drawn to block the view of the ice (albeit, the one game I saw the curtain was a day game so it may have only been drawn to keep sunlight from hitting the ice). Goal Bar ushers also made one of my buddies go down to the main concourse to go to the bathroom rather than allow him to use the facilities right there at Goal Bar. Beer bought at Goal Bar can't be brought to the concourse either, so you have to pound your drinks before going to your seat at the start of the game (I can understand this rule with mixed drinks, but to do this with beer, which is sold on the concourse, is just ridiculous).

Too many rules and limitations there now. I'll just stay at my Newark bar of preference a little longer from now on, thank you.

Edited by Reverend_Hellh0und

The no beer thing is a newark ordinance, they consider the goal bar, fire lounge and ice lounge as well as the resturaunt each a separate "bar/esablishment", I know its stupid but they actually had the city cracking down on them. Don't know about the bathrooms but this year is definatley a "learning year for them"....

The Newark ordinance thing is pretty stupid, but if that's the case then those are the rules they have to play by. No choice there, really. But they did make my buddy use the concourse bathroom again on Friday. Weak. Although the curtains weren't drawn this time, so that must have just been a day-game thing to keep the sunlight from hitting the ice.