What is going on with the refs?

Neb00rs

It probably looks worse than it is cause the PK stinks again, but when one team dominates 5-on-5 and the other team's the one getting suspect calls to kill off our momentum that's mind boggling.

QFT.

Sure are mostly Rags and Kings on that list.

Triumph u don't buy Tippets point at all?

I thought the refs had a real bad game last night. But I don't think there's anything untoward going on. Dustin Brown has been the best penalty drawer in the league by far over the last few years. And with the Kings playing so well with the puck, it's only natural that they're going to draw more penalties than the opposition.

I think team reputation plays into it. The Devils aren't known as a high octane team that will draw a lot of penalties, so they don't.

The Devils also featured 2 of the biggest complainers the last few years, Clarkson and Langenbrunner, so refs tuned them out.

Devils also didn't help themselves with the Sykora penalty box thing. Referees have a long memory as a group, the reffing after the fat pig incident was atrocious, so even of its only subconscious, I think that incident hurts a little.

I thought the refs had a real bad game last night. But I don't think there's anything untoward going on. Dustin Brown has been the best penalty drawer in the league by far over the last few years. And with the Kings playing so well with the puck, it's only natural that they're going to draw more penalties than the opposition.

So if PHX "embellished" a little more you don't think it's going to help them draw more PP's? What about the link that poster posted, sure showed a lot of Rangers and Kings on that list.

The reffing isn't biased. It's just not very good or consistent. Go to any fan site, and you're gonna see posts just like these.

Yep, I tend to agree. During the Philthy series I was popping around some of their boards and they were moaning about how the refs were against them, we were getting the good calls, etc. (although pretty much everyone agreed that one game was wildly lopsided in the Cryers favor.... Was it game 2? I have already started to forget).

Anyway, I tend to think that the rule changes and the impetus to try to change the game by reinterpreting certain calls has left refs a bit stumped. However, if I was a bit more of a conspiracy theorist type I would really start to feel like the NHL had decreed from on high that they wanted an LA-NY Stanley Cup come hell or high water. Too bad for them the Devils are playing 'cuz we've brought the hell.

Nothing is "going on with the refs," it's just a very difficult game to officiate, and this time of year it becomes more difficult and every mistake is magnified because the stakes are higher.

I usually agree with this, but NOT calling Doughty for a textbook UFC double leg takedown until Doan goes back at him and then giving them matching minors at the end of that game last night was DISGRACEFUL.....there's NO WAY you can frak up a call like THAT......

I see him and Callahan (not the only two who do it, but two of the most prominent) pulling the same routine over and over in games:

Step 1. Take a run at a guy and deliver an unnecessarily hard and slightly late, but not quite illegal, hit.

Step 2. Stay nearby waiting for any sort of physical retaliation.

Step 3. If anything at all comes, milk it for all its worth, hit the ice, and look in the direction of the nearest ref for the call.

This draws penalties nearly every time. The refs absolutely eat this sh!t up. They are always looking for any retaliation behind the play after a big hit, and they just love to dish out roughing minors for this sort of thing, even if the "retaliation" was nothing more than a light crosscheck or slash to the leg, which is significantly less severe than the sort of thing that goes on in post-whistle scrums all night long and doesn't get called then. It's all about the timing and embellishment. I think it's pretty trashy and dishonest, but I can see why fans of LA and NY love their ability to dish out a big(-ish) hit and then draw a penalty from it.

I usually agree with this, but NOT calling Doughty for a textbook UFC double leg takedown until Doan goes back at him and then giving them matching minors at the end of that game last night was DISGRACEFUL.....there's NO WAY you can frak up a call like THAT......

Here's the Doughty takedown. Keep in mind both him and Doan received penalties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY8eQYx2E54

That's actually a real move in judo called morote gari:

Here's the problem: Bryce Salvador did the EXACT same thing in the Flyers series and there was no call. If anything, Salvador's take down was more blatant IMO. Now this isn't to say that I disagree with you per se, but strangely enough this isn't an area where the refs have been inconsistent AFAIK. For some reason they have been consistently allowing these sorts of takedowns. I have absolutely no idea why and I wouldn't even venture much of a guess as to why either, but it would be difficult to argue that what happened in the kings-Yotes series was a penalty and not penalize the Devs as well.

It's possible the ref just didn't notice that Doughty grabbed Doan's leg and thought he took him down legally.

This. In every sport but baseball, the players have gotten too big and too fast for the refs to keep up. Replay has helped a little in football, but refs are going to miss a lot of calls in every sport just because they can't see them. Embellishers definitely get rewarded. It blows, but I don't think there's much that can be done to fix it, except maybe making the ice bigger to open things up more.

It took an awful lot of arguing from several posters to make the case that Poni shouldn't have a goaltender interference call. Regardless, the fact that they didn't call the penalty there, when they easily could have on a borderline play, means they don't have some agenda against the Devils. I also noticed nobody bothered to argue against the obvious interference penalty Parise should have had 30 seconds or so later. A borderline call and an obvious call go our way as the refs swallow their whistles in the last two minutes. If they wanted to give the game back to the Rangers in the last two minutes they could have, but didn't.

I'm wasting my keystrokes here though, there's no arguing with the tin-hat crowd, so continue your tirades against the reffing conspiracies in between History Channel specials on Roswell aliens, the JFK assassination, and the 9/11 Truthers.

The truth is: The players are too big for the field. The refs' cant see it all. The only solution is to put stripes on the linesmen in cases of blatant fouls. But you still have to have the refs' consult with them and some of those idiots have the God complex (like umpires).

I can't believe there's 'any' complaining about the refs today. We got the majority of power plays, which should happen when we're dominating. They got one power play when they won a couple of shifts to start the third, bfd. We can't kill a penalty to save our lives in the postseason and squandered power play after power play, what were the refs supposed to do today, knock in the puck for us? They had some goofy icing decisions but whatever, we could have been there all night and not scored.

If you don't think there is a conspiracy or rigging going on, you are not watching the game or just don't wanna be labeled as a tin hat wearer.

You are lame. We had twice as many chances on the powerplay. A few missed calls, whatever. Happens in every game to every team. Refs don't win or lose games.

The linesmen screwed up 2 icing calls that should have been waived off. A Ranger had touched the puck both times. I could see it clear as day from my seat. The refs were fine.

That being said, I'm not one to buy into the conspiracy theories cause if that was true the Rangers would make the Finals every year.

Edited by Satans Hockey

They do, but they certainly didn't today. No conspiracy at all.

Short of an Ed Hochuli, Broncos/Chargers game call, they don't and never do. I can't remember the last time that ever happened in a Devils playoff game that mattered. Take care of you own business, and it isn't a problem.

I can't believe there's 'any' complaining about the refs today. We got the majority of power plays, which should happen when we're dominating. They got one power play when they won a couple of shifts to start the third, bfd. We can't kill a penalty to save our lives in the postseason and squandered power play after power play, what were the refs supposed to do today, knock in the puck for us? They had some goofy icing decisions but whatever, we could have been there all night and not scored.

You can't just simply look at the number of PPs and conclude it's fair, otherwise game 1 was very fair officiating, as well.

Where was the call on prust for his blatant elbow, the call on the play that injured elias? Were the linesmen intoxicated today? If it's not biased officiating, then it's certainly terrible officiating. Either way, it's not fun to watch.