GDT: Rangers vs. Devils

snartly

Rupp has a major height advantage on Jansen although I believe Jansen to be the tougher guy. He's got some stamina man..he just never gets winded. The fact that Clarkson lost that fight to Dubinsky (in my opinion) was pretty much how the rest of the game went, embarrassing. Clarkson was starting to wind up, getting in a few good punches then, WAP, left jab by Dubinsky (with his head down) and Clarkson falls. So lame.

Boulton should have been the one to fight Rupp...he had one fight all year, threw one punch and broke his hand, so it's like he's been instructed not to fight. But if he can't fight, then what's he doing in the lineup when we have Cam?

didnt boulton draw a misconduct on callahan, did i see that right that should have been good for something

rupp backed out after he got winded and punches to the back of the head is poor

i saw clarky get it right below the ear/jaw both got bad grabs to start

slapdicking +1 except it seemed the refs had our back

Edited by lazer

I think you're right. Dubinsky also caught Clarkson early with a right.

http://www.hockeyfig...m/fights/108082

Very disappointing. The whole game. It takes me a while to get over a loss to the Rangers. You would think I would be used to it by now. I feel like if they play as well as they did last night and lose because of two or three mistakes they'll never win. There isn't much they can do. The best thing is to stop putting Brodeur in net because he is so god damn psychologically fvcked in the head from the Rangers that it's a distraction to the team now. Hedberg needs to start the final 5 games.

Very disappointing. The whole game. It takes me a while to get over a loss to the Rangers. You would think I would be used to it by now. I feel like if they play as well as they did last night and lose because of two or three mistakes they'll never win. There isn't much they can do. The best thing is to stop putting Brodeur in net because he is so god damn psychologically fvcked in the head from the Rangers that it's a distraction to the team now. Hedberg needs to start the final 5 games.

Bull. He earned the right to start 'em if he wants to.

The thing I love about Marty is is his intense hatred for the Rags. He's a goalie, they give up goals......move on.

Bull. He earned the right to start 'em if he wants to.

The thing I love about Marty is is his intense hatred for the Rags. He's a goalie, they give up goals......move on.

You're right, Jimmy! After all the players play for Marty's success and glory! Who cares if he was 5-20 against Lundqvist? Hockey isn't about winning games, it's about padding stats. C'Mon!

Was hoping Carter would have gave Gaborik an old fashioned two hander at the end.

Speaking of terrible games, game 2 2009 was my first playoff game. Lost in OT after Gleasons shot bumps off Havelid and goes into the net. For regular season, the Buffalo shootout last year where the puck went over Kovy's stick. Probably the low point of last year, saw some guy throw his Kovy jersey over the boards on to the ice at the end. Was also at the building two days later for his OT winner against the Oilers, ironically.

I was at both those games and I couldn't agree with you more

I was at both those games and I couldn't agree with you more

Yeah, me too. The Kovy one was tough.

One that's not getting a lot of mention around here is Game 6 in 2002, against the 'Canes. Everyone gets that sixth sense feeling from time to time, where you know your team just doesn't have it...me and my wife had a great tailgate and were so psyched and ready to go, so excited...and just five minutes into that game, I looked at her and said, "They're getting shut out today. They have nothing." She told me I shouldn't be so negative, but sure enough, the Devils were shut out that game (1-0)...the fans really let the Devils have it over the last few minutes, as they had just been so lifeless on the ice from the opening faceoff. That one sucked for me...not in the same fist-in-the-stomach way of Game 7 against the 'Canes in '09, but it still blew just the same.

I love kovy but you have to admit the guy is a minus magnet lol -3 for the rangers game the stat guys keep their fingers on the minus button as soon as his shift starts. and its not just the bad luck bounces, although he has had horrible luck. his style creates odd man rushes when he's not completely on his game. he really likes to play as a center and carry the puck in. how many times has he circled back around at his blue line to take a breakout pass, cross into the zone and draw 3 defenders near the blue line? if he draws them in close enough and gets a pass off he's brilliant, if its tipped or jumped its off to the races

I hate to tell you this, but we are NOT the same. I know how to pronounce the English language correctly, especially words that end in er. I know that it should be a crime to drive less than 80 mph in the left lane of a major NJ highway, especially in the spring/summer/fall. I know that 90% of the "characters" on Jersey Shore come from NY. I know what a Wawa is (for my South Jersey friends). I know that LI traffic on a Tuesday makes the GSP on a Sunday night in July look like an open highway in Montana. I know that Cornell and Columbia wish they were Princeton. I know that 80% of NYC looks like Newark, and has about the same crime rate, but New Yorkers will never admit it.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. The only reason people from NY are the same as those from NJ is because 1/2 of Staten Island is moving to places like Jackson, NJ to get out of NYC. Obviously what I said here is based strictly off of sterotypes, but we all know that most sterotypes contains a 1/2 truth.

You keep telling yourself and believing what you want. I lived in SI til I was 10, lived on LI til I was 27, then back to SI when I got a job here and have spent enough time in NJ to know what I see. I don't like to admit I live in SI, but that is a horse of a different color. I also know what Wawa is, they make good sandwiches, love the cheaper gas and all full-serve, love Bayway Liquors for much cheaper kegs (and better selection) and as someone who attended Cornell, have no interest in being Princeton. At least you didn't mention that dump, Rutgers. I have said many times, that Northern and Central Jersey, down to say Sayreville, NYC, LI, Westchester, maybe Putnam and Rockland, and Southwestern Connecticut, think Fairfield, should just become it's own state. Merge the Dakotas or the Carolinas, or Montana and Idaho to keep it as 50 states.

The bigger difference is between North and Central Jersey people with South Jersey.

Yeah, me too. The Kovy one was tough.

One that's not getting a lot of mention around here is Game 6 in 2002, against the 'Canes. Everyone gets that sixth sense feeling from time to time, where you know your team just doesn't have it...me and my wife had a great tailgate and were so psyched and ready to go, so excited...and just five minutes into that game, I looked at her and said, "They're getting shut out today. They have nothing." She told me I shouldn't be so negative, but sure enough, the Devils were shut out that game (1-0)...the fans really let the Devils have it over the last few minutes, as they had just been so lifeless on the ice from the opening faceoff. That one sucked for me...not in the same fist-in-the-stomach way of Game 7 against the 'Canes in '09, but it still blew just the same.

Leaving the arena after that game in 2002, I was more disappoined in some of our fans than in our team. The Devils had just come off back-to-back SCFs. It was obvious to me that either the Devs were spent from all of the playoff games and long seasons, or maybe they just couldn't match the hunger of the Hurricanes to get to their first SCF. Either way, when the final horn sounded, while a decent amount of fans were booing the team, I stood up and applauded the boys for all they had given us the past few years. One guy a few rows away from me did the same. He actually turned around and yelled at the fans not to boo.

Leaving the arena after that game in 2002, I was more disappoined in some of our fans than in our team. The Devils had just come off back-to-back SCFs. It was obvious to me that either the Devs were spent from all of the playoff games and long seasons, or maybe they just couldn't match the hunger of the Hurricanes to get to their first SCF. Either way, when the final horn sounded, while a decent amount of fans were booing the team, I stood up and applauded the boys for all they had given us the past few years. One guy a few rows away from me did the same. He actually turned around and yelled at the fans not to boo.

I was at that game too and honestly, I do not buy the whole tired excuse. Tell that the all the previous hockey dynasties such as the Islanders who won 4 in a row. They played listless all season long and it was taken out on Robinson who was replaced by Constantine. It was apathetic play and honestly it was a team that was hungier that won that series.

I did not boo them but I wasnt exactly happy either. Only good thing that came out of the season was the Arnott trade.

They have Wawa in CT too. You've got to get out more Mr. Duck. Krausers... now that used to be south of the city only but they now have those in CT too. HEY! You could have said "We know Stewarts is a pop-stand not a gas station!" :uni:

Having lived a significant amount of time in Huntington Long Island, Boston, Manhattan and New Haven CT I can say.... Chuck was right more often than not. but no one wants to be Princeton save maybe Dartmouth - maybe Brown but they'd much rather be Harvard. No way in HELL Cornell wants to be Princeton. BEAT Princeton in a hockey game maybe... but Cornell is the Cornell of the Ivies... :unsure: see what I mean? Columbia is the Jewish Ivy -- Columbia is in NYC, that's it's thing.... why on earth would they EVER want to be in the middle of nothing NJ? No... That was just THE stupidest thing ever said Chuck :evil:

NYC is nothing NOTHING like Newark. See the key is that NYC has very specific neighborhoods. and in those neighborhoods are equipped with grace areas if you will -- blocks where you realize you've left your zone and have enough time to turn around and not get messed with. It's just very clear. I'm not kidding or trying to be funny either. I've wandered every area NYC at all hours and never felt unsafe - and not because I'm just that stupid. Newark -- there are no firmly established cultural rules or boundries throughout the entire city as there are in NYC. That's why they're dangerous. Most cities have pockets of safe area you drive into and you have no idea what's surrounding you - you have a very slim margin for error. and it's ever changing so you can't be sure ever of where you are in terms of social boundaries. NYC is so established and the turnover is so slow - like 10 years so there is never gentrification per se -- people are given (or TAKE) time to adjust the boundaries in a realistic time frame and no one is displaced. (TAKING the time to adjust is protests, everyone is in it together - crazy artist were out with the homeless managing the Alphabet city gentrification). NYC is an amazing living city - anyone who's scared of it has spent too much time in all the sh!t burgs everywhere else. I was taken aback when I moved to Boston. It's a great city and all... but it's just got those areas - those pockets of inaction - a dearth of neighborhood where everything is vague and dangerous. You have to WORK to get into a dead zone in NYC.

As for the driving slow in the fast lane... you didn't learn to drive in NJ? Seriously -- NJ has sh!tty drivers and stupid road signs. But bad driving is pandemic - they're even sh!tty in Dearborn now - that was shock!

And why would anyone be ashamed of living on a landfill Staten island? It's not so bad - it's endearing even. I just dont understand the shame.

and Rutgers is not a dump... HOFSTRA THAT is a dump.... Rutgers is a rock solid safety school and it's a pretty sure fire set up for a decent white collar career. It is an ideal set up for a first tier grad school as well. All of the ambitious people with no delusions of grandeur went to Rutgers from my high school in CT.

I could go on and on.... NY, NJ, CT, PA MA -- they're all very different.

but Rockland and Fairfield....the same?... in really ANY WAY? Seriously? Chuck, as wrong as he was, is just far more on target than you Rag fan!

I was at that game too and honestly, I do not buy the whole tired excuse. Tell that the all the previous hockey dynasties such as the Islanders who won 4 in a row. They played listless all season long and it was taken out on Robinson who was replaced by Constantine. It was apathetic play and honestly it was a team that was hungier that won that series.

I did not boo them but I wasnt exactly happy either. Only good thing that came out of the season was the Arnott trade.

Oh, of course I was bummed out that they lost. But I couldn't be MAD at them for not becoming a dynasty. That's too high a standard for a fan to set, IMO. If it would've happened, then great. But that can't be EXPECTED.

Like I said, maybe they just couldn't match the hunger of the Hurricanes to get to their first SCF. Whatever the reason, it was obvious they didn't have what it took that year.

The 2002 talk reminds me of being there for the Ottawa game in '96 that ended our season shy of a playoff berth. I remember fans starting to boo as the game wore down. IIRC, they showed Dano starting to choke up on the bench on the jumbotron, and the boos of disappointment turned to cheers of appreciation for the previous year's accomplishments.

That was a weird game. I believe we also needed the Flyers to beat Tampa that day, and Devils fans were actually starting "Let's Go Flyers!" chants.

I could go on and on.... NY, NJ, CT, PA MA -- they're all very different.

but Rockland and Fairfield....the same?... in really ANY WAY? Seriously? Chuck, as wrong as he was, is just far more on target than you Rag fan!

Wait, who mentioned PA and MA, and I am only talking about Southwest CT, Fairfield County for example. Yes, the Rockland Putnam inclusion was a stretch. My wife is from Westchester and she gets annoyed when I say Westchester, Rockland, Putnam are all the same.

Edited by Matteau#32

The 2002 talk reminds me of being there for the Ottawa game in '96 that ended our season shy of a playoff berth. I remember fans starting to boo as the game wore down. IIRC, they showed Dano starting to choke up on the bench on the jumbotron, and the boos of disappointment turned to cheers of appreciation for the previous year's accomplishments.

That was a weird game. I believe we also needed the Flyers to beat Tampa that day, and Devils fans were actually starting "Let's Go Flyers!" chants.

The Flyers played Tampa the next day.

The Flyers played Tampa the next day.

I remember all the stink about the Flyers purposely throwing their last game so as to avoid seeing the Devils in the playoffs (the Devils owned them that year), and how the league was going to make sure it wouldn't happen, and how Bettman had addressed the issue...yada yada yada.

Meanwhile, everyone was overlooking the fact that the Devils still had a game to win.

And didn't ex-Devil Tom Chorkse actually have the game-winner for Ottawa?

Ugh...brutal, man.

I wasn't mad at that one so much as I was bummed...like you had said, they had gone to back-to-back Finals. It just felt weird for hockey to be over so early. I didn't boo though.

As for the Devils/Ottawa game...I was dating a girl who was going to Colgate at the time, and I was up there visiting her, trying to get the WFAN on...I managed to hear "Senators", then "win", but after a lot of antenna finagling, I finally heard "5-2 Ottawa win" (or something like it). I was so down for the rest of that weekend (and longer).

Wait, who mentioned PA and MA, and I am only talking about Southwest CT, Fairfield County for example. Yes, the Rockland Putnam inclusion was a stretch. My wife is from Westchester and she gets annoyed when I say Westchester, Rockland, Putnam are all the same.

It was meant to be a joke...sort of. If you want to be serious, I don't think you can say NJ and NY are the same. They're not. You can't just make a blanket statement like that. Hell, Chester is completely different from Parsippany, which is completely different from Nutley, which is completely different from Jersey City (and they are all northern NJ towns within 40 miles of each other).

The problem I have with a lot of people from NJ is that they play into the media stereotype about this state, hate on themselves, and openly wish they were from NY. NY'ers at least take pride in where they come from, no matter how misguided they may be. :P

It was meant to be a joke...sort of. If you want to be serious, I don't think you can say NJ and NY are the same. They're not. You can't just make a blanket statement like that. Hell, Chester is completely different from Parsippany, which is completely different from Nutley, which is completely different from Jersey City (and they are all northern NJ towns within 40 miles of each other).

The problem I have with a lot of people from NJ is that they play into the media stereotype about this state, hate on themselves, and openly wish they were from NY. NY'ers at least take pride in where they come from, no matter how misguided they may be. :P

I couldn't agree more with the last part of your post- people from NJ who hate being from NJ drive me insane. I'm born and raised here, and I couldn't be more proud. The people from Jersey who wish they were from NY should take their sorry, self-loathing asses over the Hudson and live there if they don't like it over here.

+1000

That's bugged me for the longest time.