Fayne agrees to two-year deal with NJ

SterioDesign

Granted with the principal owner figuring out how he can afford to remain a season ticket holder again once the NHL takes the team away from him, maybe immediate savings are best, but they had a shot to get him locked up long-term at a great price.

You are gold with these

I believe Tri is referring to that he'll be a UFA by the end of this deal. If he signed a 1-year deal, the Devils could buy some UFA years from him next summer.

And if they signed him for four years and $3 million per, and wound up only buying one or no UFA years after the new CBA comes out then there's really no savings. Saying this deal is 'terrible' is a stretch. For all we know Fayne only wanted a two-year deal anyway and was willing to take the short-term hit to get market value in UFA.

And if they signed him for four years and $3 million per, and wound up only buying one or no UFA years after the new CBA comes out then there's really no savings. Saying this deal is 'terrible' is a stretch. For all we know Fayne only wanted a two-year deal anyway and was willing to take the short-term hit to get market value in UFA.

Under this deal, he gets $2.6M. You don't think he signs up for 4 years/9M? To beat the deal he just signed versus the deal I just made up, he has to make more than 3.2M per after 2014. I think he'll manage it, but it's close, and that would certainly mitigate some risk on his part.

No way that if this is Fayne's price that buying out his UFA years should cost $4.7M per like you are suggesting.

Edited by Triumph

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_re-sign_defenseman_mark_fayne_avoid_aug._2_arbitration_hearing/

Restricted free agent defenseman Mark Fayne signed a two-year, $2.6 million contract with the Devils today to avoid an Aug. 2 salary arbitration hearing.

Fayne, 25, more than doubled his 2011-12 salary of $555,000. He will earn $1.2 million in 2012-13 and $1.4 million in 2013-14.

I know Lou always try to sign the players at the cheapest possible prices, but the fact that he dug so much on that deal and signed Fayne at 1.3 per year does that mean that he is leaving as much cap as possible for possibly a couple of big names via FA or trades ?

Or, as I have argued, that we now have an internal cap.

The more I see the more convinced I am that we are operating under short term constraints.

Edited by AEWHistory

Under this deal, he gets $2.6M. You don't think he signs up for 4 years/9M? To beat the deal he just signed versus the deal I just made up, he has to make more than 3.2M per after 2014. I think he'll manage it, but it's close, and that would certainly mitigate some risk on his part.

No way that if this is Fayne's price that buying out his UFA years should cost $4.7M per like you are suggesting.

I completely disagree. Yes, I suppose the Devils didn't lock him up "long term" with a 4-year deal, etc. But as of right now we have 8 legitimate NHL defensemen signed for the upcoming season. And although I don't think that Fayne was necessarily the Devils best d-man, it's pretty much a best-case-scenario ... two-year contract dollar-wise. If he has a great year in 2013, the Devils will be able to renegotiate a long-term commitment if they so desire. In short, this gives the Devils flexibility on so many levels and is a steal of a deal as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not worried about Fayne long term, if he leaves UFA then so be it. We will have gotten incredible value out of him. You can't keep all you assets and maybe there will be compensation for UFA's in the new CBA.

Or, you could look on Twitter, and then, without complaining or being rude about it, add said information yourself.

Takes only slightly more work than attacking others.

I looked on Twitter when the thread was posted and didn't see anything about Fayne at that time. I shouldn't have to go searching for someone's source when they post a signing. He's been here long enough to know to include the link for things like this.

I'm not worried about Fayne long term, if he leaves UFA then so be it. We will have gotten incredible value out of him. You can't keep all you assets and maybe there will be compensation for UFA's in the new CBA.

I doubt there will be compensation and even if there were, what would it be, a 3rd round pick?

Right now Fayne is the second youngest guy on defense - there's 4 guys under contract who I probably want no part of when their deal is done. I get that maybe those won't be UFA years but they'd still be being bought at an excellent price. And if the young guys succeed, Fayne could always be dealt. I guess this is Lou's ' prove it' contract but I wish he'd take a little more risk.

I love it for now, especially with the ownership issues, but as Tri has said, I don't like the short term steal when he's one of the guys I'd like to keep long term. Unless Lou is planning on using him as trade bait for a winger (not impossible), I don't love signing a decent quality, young d-man for only 2 years at an amount that borders on insulting. Just makes resigning him that much harder. Not saying resigning Fayne needs to be a priority, especially with guys like Urbom, Burlon, and most importantly Merrill coming up, and Larsson coming of age, but still.