Immediate rule clarification regarding articles

DevilMinder

Really? So if you owned the "Pepperkorn Daily Ledger Record Post Press Times of New Jersey" and it was the source of your income and jobs for all involved in its publishing and your advertisers decided to reduce or stop advertising due to low readership thereby putting your paper in the red you'd be ok with it? Might as well post those articles directly to a message board then huh? Why bother with the newspaper?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? So if you owned the "Pepperkorn Daily Ledger Record Post Press Times of New Jersey" and it was the source of your income and jobs for all involved in its publishing and your advertisers decided to reduce or stop advertising due to low readership thereby putting your paper in the red you'd be ok with it? Might as well post those articles directly to a message board then huh? Why bother with the newspaper?

I'm not changing anything. I never said anything about you owning/running the Star-Ledger. I said if you owned a newspaper.

As for the Star-Ledger, they are likely just enforcing their own policy and I'm sure NJDevs.com or even NHL related articles are not their only target. I have seen newspapers, magazines, and other news outlets make such requests on other message boards that have nothing to do with hockey or even sports for that matter. It goes back to the classic "If you allow one you have to allow all".

My guess is that these media outlets do in fact see their traffic/revenue drop or they wouldn't bother.

if the star-ledger does this, there should definitely be a forum-wide boycott of viewing/using its articles. who needs its silly intrusive advertising anyway - gullitti's blog is far better than anything that clown chere is writing these days

cease and desist is one thing, but no one is citing old articles or looking for them on the forum.

RD's right, DM, you might as well just edit the posts. It won't take you much longer than deleting the threads in question. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I'm pretty sure the Star-Ledger has no legal right to force you to delete entire discussions. The initial posts might be infringing, but there's no way responses discussing the articles are infringing on copyrights (unless the person was an idiot and quoted the entire article). Quoting a sentence or two in order to specifically address it qualifies as fair use.

EDIT: Sammy's got a good idea with moving the threads to a hidden forum. This takes them out of public view -- thus hopefully satisfying the S-L's demands -- and it gives you time to clean them and put them back into circulation.

Edited by RowdyFan42

RD's right, DM, you might as well just edit the posts. It won't take you much longer than deleting the threads in question. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I'm pretty sure the Star-Ledger has no legal right to force you to delete entire discussions. The initial posts might be infringing, but there's no way responses discussing the articles are infringing on copyrights (unless the person was an idiot and quoted the entire article). Quoting a sentence or two in order to specifically address it qualifies as fair use.

EDIT: Sammy's got a good idea with moving the threads to a hidden forum. This takes them out of public view -- thus hopefully satisfying the S-L's demands -- and it gives you time to clean them and put them back into circulation.

Edited by squishyx

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.