17 replies to this topic

#1 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

the team plays better in front of Hedberg rather than Marty? Marty seems to be playing well but the team isn't performing while he is in goal his record for the past 5 games is 0-4-1 Hedberg who has been warming the pine board comes in and the team plays maybe the only full 60 minute game very well. Just interested in your thoughts.

#2 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

No, I don't think its possible.

its just a coincidence in a couple of stats

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#3 Easy Parise

Easy Parise

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with the dog here. Start hedberg more.
Posted Image

#4 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Perhaps in a small enough sample size, sure. The team really wants to win one for moose once in a while.

But that novelty, assuming it exists, would probably wear off pretty quickly if he started every other game or something

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#5 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,722 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

So for this argument, we will be ignoring the 7-1-1 run Marty had that immediately proceeded the 0-4-1 run? Neat-o.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Perhaps in a small enough sample size, sure. The team really wants to win one for moose once in a while.

But that novelty, assuming it exists, would probably wear off pretty quickly if he started every other game or something

I don't buy it. I don't think the Devs are playing better in front of Hedberg to win him some games. It just how things are breaking for Hedberg, and Brodeur losing his ability to carry the team and becoming more of a serviceable goalie now rather than a gamebreaker.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I think it's more coincidence than anything else. Like DD56 said, not so long ago they'd gone 7-1-1 in front of Marty.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

o come onnnn.. you cant honestly believe that the Devils just didn't want to play yesterday. we had several shots ring off the post. we had to kill like 7 penalties to the islanders 2.. and its not like we were very outmatched in any of the stat categories that game. MAYBE you can suggest something like this if we were completely blow out, but that is not at all the case.

if you guys are suggesting that this team cant play for the biggest legacy of this franchise you are out of your minds. what a dumb suggestion, i am sorry

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#9 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Ridiculous notion.
Posted Image

#10 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

Tried to take a quick look at the numbers. Mind you, this was quick and didn't take into account shootout gimmes or anything like that.

Hedberg:
20 starts
65 goals-for in those starts
3.25 goals-for/game

Brodeur:
45 starts
115 goals-for in those starts
2.56 goals-for/game

I hate to throw gas on what I would have originally guessed is a made-up fire, but the numbers seem to back it up.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#11 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Or Moose got to start against the Capitals on Friday night. A team in such locker room disarray that the 1962 Mets in their present form could beat.

Devils only have 1 back-to-back and 3 in 4 this season. I see the afternoon Islanders game being more of a product of that than anything else.

#12 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I hate to throw gas on what I would have originally guessed is a made-up fire, but the numbers seem to back it up.

You have to look at the goal scoring stats in losses.. as that's where the grievance of this thread lies. Who cares if we win a 2-1 game, so long as we win. ;)
I think people seem to have a short-term memory when it comes to Brodeur's stats this season, based on the last 2 games where we got shutout and Marty only allowed 1 goal.
Marty's got 22 wins, and 20 losses this season. His GAA in losses is 3.34

..I know the MB30 ra-ra unit has been screaming foul since the Ranger\Islander games, that we left Marty out to dry (and they're 100% right to complain about those games) but I feel there's a bit too much focus on 2 games out of 20. Based on Brodeur's GAA in losses, the offense doesn't just have to score 2 or 3 to win.. they need to score 4 or 5.

I was at the game in January against the Bruins, and heard fans complain first hand; that the "offense lost the game for us.. we only scored 1 goal.. gotta score more." :blahblah:
..the game was 6-1. Even if we scored 5, it wouldn't have been enough.

Edited by Beezer34, 05 March 2012 - 07:06 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#13 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

imo i believe all teams play with a little extra edge when the backup is in, just bc of the sheer fact that they only play a limited amount of games during the season.

#14 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

So when the Devils went 23-8-3 with Marty starting a majority of the games, they weren't playing for him then?

And yeah the Caps were the 'only' team we played during this six-game stretch that didn't compete at all, that has nothing to do with who's in net.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 March 2012 - 06:38 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#15 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Boggles the mind that anyone would even for a second consider this theory seriously.
Posted Image

#16 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

personally i think brodeur has to work a lot harder now and was spoiled a bit in the beginning. the '94 team had 3 hall of fame defenders (fetisov, stevens, niedermayer)

i remember last year one of the analysts on the nhl network said that its not brodeur's fault, it's the defense in front of him. he said if you put brodeur in detroit, he would have better stats

#17 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

The only difference that i see is that sometimes... Actually lets make this EVERYTIMES the puck goes behind the net, even if theres 2 defenders near about to pick it up Marty is going to leave his net to go at least "touch" the puck... Even if its just slowing it down or stop it eventho it was about to stop.. He absolutely has to play it eventhough its absolutly useless and probaby fvcking around with what our dman had in mind in first place...

I dont mind when theres no one around and that hes actually making a pass or something..hes the best at it... But when hes doing it just for the sake of doing it its pissing me off

www.SterioDesign.com

#18 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

You have to look at the goal scoring stats in losses.. as that's where the grievance of this thread lies. Who cares if we win a 2-1 game, so long as we win. ;)

For the sake of continuing to play devil's advocate ...

Herberg:
9 losses
19 goals-for in those losses
2.11 goals-for per game

Brodeur:
20 losses
28 goals-for in those losses
1.40 goals-for per game

I think people seem to have a short-term memory when it comes to Brodeur's stats this season, based on the last 2 games where we got shutout and Marty only allowed 1 goal.
Marty's got 22 wins, and 20 losses this season. His GAA in losses is 3.34

..I know the MB30 ra-ra unit has been screaming foul since the Ranger\Islander games, that we left Marty out to dry (and they're 100% right to complain about those games) but I feel there's a bit too much focus on 2 games out of 20. Based on Brodeur's GAA in losses, the offense doesn't just have to score 2 or 3 to win.. they need to score 4 or 5.

To be fair, Hedberg's GAA in losses is 3.28.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users