DISCUSSION: KLEE TO DEVILS FOR SUGLOBOV

Weekes Head

This move is silly. When have these deadline deal trades for veteran dmen ever worked for lou?

Chambers comes to mind. Helped us in during the cup run, gave up what, semak? Didn't seem like a move to puut us over the top, but Along with broten, fit in well with the team and contributed. The devils always go by the philosphy of get quality players, and if you have enough, someone will step up at the right time.

The Klee trade is a 20 game + playoffs audition to see if we want him next year, while trying to help the team a bit this year. Every defensman was horrible early in the year(I thought too much was blamed on Malakov and McGilllis). Each defensman has been solid lately. AS for our second line, Elias getting healthy helps our second line. Actually, us having a solid fourth line should help us. Lou has brought back a hitting fourth line. Give the team a little spark, don't take penalties. Elias comes back, Marshall to 4'th line, Parise, Kozlov, Brylin. as the second line. Solid 4 lines. Key to the 'new nhl' is the powerplay.

If Klee fits in on the second pp unit and it produces, this trade is a steal. He ends up a healthy scratch every other game, then we havea problem. Probably end up somewhere in the middle.

• 6 years later...

Remember this insignificant deal in Devils history? The Devils traded 24-year-old Alexander Suglobov who had played one NHL game that season and scored a goal in it. He would go on to play 16 more games in the NHL for the Leafs and never recorded a point. Klee, on the other hand, played 24 uneventful regular season and playoff games combined. No harm. No foul.   The thing is with these deals is we never really know who might have been dealt or not. For rentals, teams debate between different prospects, or between a pick or a prospect. Well with this deal we now know. A certain former Toronto Maple Leafs executive was being asked about Clarkson's hot start this year after his 30-goal season. He responded by saying that one of the reasons why he is not an executive anymore is that he had the final say on which Albany River Rats the Leafs wanted in return for Klee. The Devils were offering either Alexander Suglobov or David Clarkson. The rest is history. 

Edited by devilsrule33

And people in this thread hated the deal for Suglobov...good god if they had taken Clarkson it could have wound up being ten times worse than the Sullivan-Gilmour deal that some people still haven't forgiven Lou for :P  Of course Clarkson didn't become what he has been the last two years until DeBoer came, before that people 'here' hated him cause of his contract.

Clarkson was an undrafted free agent who had a decent year in Albany but nothing great, and that was his first pro season after an undistinguished overage season in junior.  I don't blame him making that choice, but he did screw up.

And boy did I know nothing about hockey in 2006, haha.

hahah...Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate):

The Leafs have picked up one d and gotten rid of another...but they did steal Sublogov from NJ...he is a stud, and we are all shocked that Lou gave him up....this leaves Nashville, Vancouver and NJ to fight over Witt...

Shocker, Єklund (2.3% accurate) was wrong about that too lol

25 goals for Suglobov the next season?!

But props for the Fredo quote

I winced too.  In fairness this was in 2006 when there were a ton of 25 goal scorers in the league and toronto had no forward depth.  If I'd said 20 I don't think it would've been so outrageous, but I guess I'm always drawn to hyperbole.

This move is silly. When have these deadline deal trades for veteran dmen ever worked for lou? They always seem lost and a step slow in the system. So much so that Tommy albelin always ends up playing no matter what. Hell Ken Sutton was better suited at times than the scrubs lou brings in.

If suggs is not a part of the future plans at least trade him for something that IS.

I stand by this. Though after this Zidlicky and Salvador worked out well. Lukowich was pretty good too.

Clarkson was an undrafted free agent who had a decent year in Albany but nothing great, and that was his first pro season after an undistinguished overage season in junior.  I don't blame him making that choice, but he did screw up.

And boy did I know nothing about hockey in 2006, haha.

That was before the days of Fenwicks and Corsis.

I had two responses in this thread...I honestly didn't remember how I felt about the deal at the time, so I scanned through the thread to see what I thought.  I wanted Sluggo to get a shot, but I was kind of "meh" about the whole thing.  I do remember thinking at the time that, since Sluggo was already 24 years old, he probably wouldn't do that much in the NHL, but I never thought he'd play just 16 more games at the NHL level and not record so much as a single point in those games.  If I were to put a number to it, I would've expected him to get at least 50+ games at the NHL level, probably closer to 100, with maybe 20-30 points...basically, he'd get a shot with the Leafs, not do that much with it, then fizzle out.     

Re:  Clarkson, the fact that he became an NHL regular was impressive enough, given his pedigree.  No one ever thought he'd score 37 goals over an 89-regular season game stretch.  That exec was supposed to have seen that coming 6 years after making his choice?  At that time, almost everyone would've thought Sluggo had the higher upside.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This is an invalid question. Obviously Suglobov is likely to be in the NHL whereas Klee will not be, but the Devils were getting rid of Suglobov regardless. You cannot evaluate prospect for veteran deals this way or else they will all look bad. The Devils are getting a better player for one not on their roster and one not in their future plans.

Who will be a better player in 5 years - Peter Forsberg or Cam Janssen?

I like the fact that even today the answer to this question is still Peter Forsberg.

• Like 1

That was before the days of Fenwicks and Corsis.

I had two responses in this thread...I honestly didn't remember how I felt about the deal at the time, so I scanned through the thread to see what I thought.  I wanted Sluggo to get a shot, but I was kind of "meh" about the whole thing.  I do remember thinking at the time that, since Sluggo was already 24 years old, he probably wouldn't do that much in the NHL, but I never thought he'd play just 16 more games at the NHL level and not record so much as a single point in those games.  If I were to put a number to it, I would've expected him to get at least 50+ games at the NHL level, probably closer to 100, with maybe 20-30 points...basically, he'd get a shot with the Leafs, not do that much with it, then fizzle out.     

Re:  Clarkson, the fact that he became an NHL regular was impressive enough, given his pedigree.  No one ever thought he'd score 37 goals over an 89-regular season game stretch.  That exec was supposed to have seen that coming 6 years after making his choice?  At that time, almost everyone would've thought Sluggo had the higher upside.

I don't think anyone is really blaming the exec for that decision, but it obviously looks bad now, and he was proud enough to admit that.. These things happen all the time where one team benefits and the other suffers on a mistake with the wrong prospect. GMs and other higher ups live with the consequences. I could sit for hours listening to what could have beens and what not

For example, when the Devils traded for Kovalchuk, the Thrashers badly wanted Patrice Cormier as the prospect in the deal. He had just been suspended for the year, but he was on Canada's World Junior team the last two years and had just captained the last one. He was highly regarded. Lamoriello did not want to give him up and practically offered every other forward prospect the Devils had at the time. Adam Henrique was just a few months away from breaking out where he would score 20 goals in 19 OHL playoff games and 8 points in 4 Memorial Cup games. At the time Cormier was more highly regarded by the Devils. But the deal was only happening if Cormier was in it. It's been about 3 years, and Cormier has 2 points in 30 NHL games.

Edited by devilsrule33

That was before the days of Fenwicks and Corsis. (Would that they would return -- though Tri was just as prolific, just none of the "hard data" to back up his bravado)

I had two responses in this thread...I honestly didn't remember how I felt about the deal at the time, so I scanned through the thread to see what I thought.  I wanted Sluggo to get a shot, but I was kind of "meh" about the whole thing.

Yeah,  Was it you who wrote blah?  At the time I saw no downside to the move -- but no upside either.  just blah...  I'm thankful for Clarkson sake he got to stay here.  He's one of those special born to be a Devil players I love. 

Yeah,  Was it you who wrote blah?  At the time I saw no downside to the move -- but no upside either.  just blah...  I'm thankful for Clarkson sake he got to stay here.  He's one of those special born to be a Devil players I love. 

And soon to be a UFA...and thanks to Lou's stance on not negotiating during the season, I'm sure he'll be gone.

No, he won't - he knows he'd suck anywhere else.  No one would use him properly.  The sole reason for taking Clarkson would be to make the Devils worse.  To my mind there's no other motivation out there for any other team -  unless DeBoer leaves to coach elsewhere and wants Clarkson with him.

Some many interpreters are needed to communicate Clarkson's worth... it's insane.  Lou has really strong complete hockey minds - very multidimensional thinkers.  It's why so many fans get befuddled and have to resort to In Lou We Trust to justify many successes.

Edited by Pepperkorn