2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Geno made Tannehill look like Bart Starr tonight.

He's completed 40 passes over 80 attempts over the last 2 weeks. 2 fumbles for the season, and 4 interceptions.. for a total of 6 turnovers over the last 3 games. That's an average of 2 turnovers a game. Meanwhile we've lost the last 2 games by 1 possession?! Who's got the blood on their hands here folks?

..this team is 2-1 with Michael Vick, maybe even 3-0. Pathetic! Absolutely pathetic.

He's completed 40 passes over 80 attempts over the last 2 weeks. 2 fumbles for the season, and 4 interceptions.. for a total of 6 turnovers over the last 3 games. That's an average of 2 turnovers a game. Meanwhile we've lost the last 2 games by 1 possession?! Who's got the blood on their hands here folks?

..this team is 2-1 with Michael Vick, maybe even 3-0. Pathetic! Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah the screaming for Vick will be loud... You gotta think he starts next week.

I hope they pull the plug early on this dolt unlike with sanchez. Geno Smith was the best qb of a bad bunch. He is not our starter. Vick will fumble on occasion...but overall he is miles ahead of Geno. Geno doesnt understand basic game situations. Thinks 15 yard sacks are A-ok and telegraphs multiple passes into the waiting arms of the opposition. He is so far behind...so bereft of NFL instincts that he almost belongs in a special education program for nfl qb's. I mean some of his throws make me wonder it someone took the wonderlic for him. He is dumb as a rock.

I hope they pull the plug early on this dolt unlike with sanchez. Geno Smith was the best qb of a bad bunch. He is not our starter. Vick will fumble on occasion...but overall he is miles ahead of Geno. Geno doesnt understand basic game situations. Thinks 15 yard sacks are A-ok and telegraphs multiple passes into the waiting arms of the opposition. He is so far behind...so bereft of NFL instincts that he almost belongs in a special education program for nfl qb's. I mean some of his throws make me wonder it someone took the wonderlic for him. He is dumb as a rock.

Sanchez did some good things with the Jets...he did win some big games, both in the regular season and the playoffs.  Smith is a different story so far.  Curious to see what the Jets do...I'm guessing he gets another week, but if the Jets lose again (whether Geno is to blame or not)...what next?

I remember how sad it was seeing Dan Blackburn having to play with two blockers, because of the severe nerve damage he sustained. The poor bastard was incapable of rotating his glove hand, so to continue his career......... he played with two blockers. :closedeyes:

That's exactly the same feeling I got last night seeing Rex line up: Calvin Pace, David Harris & Quinton Coples at Corner. That's what Rex has sadly become. Rex Ryan is Dan Blackburn. He's become a 3 legged dog running a marathon. He's Arnold Schwarzenegger in the scene from Terminator 2.. ripping his own arm off, just to stay alive. ----and what's most sad about this whole charade, is that despite the cards he was dealt.. he's still doing an admirable job coaching this season. Notwithstanding a QB who's turned the ball over half-a-dozen times in 3 games.. notwithstanding a 7th rounder opposite a Safety who's never played CB as his two starting corners.. notwithstanding Benny Hill officiating, who in two weeks negated 2 TD's for the Jets.. notwithstanding everything & anything! If you've been watching the games, you'd know.. this team could (and should) be 3-0 at this very moment.

If I'm Woody Johnson, I would extend Rex Ryan tomorrow! I send a message to Idzik that: "I know what you're trying to do here, but I won't allow you.. so you better make it work." Rex Ryan is not a bad coach, in fact.. he's damn good! There would be 5-6 teams (including 2 within the Division alone) lining up for his services, if and when the Jets fire him on Black Monday.. and after 3 years of not making the playoffs, that's saying something.

Edited by Beezer34

Rex has survived and schemed around atrocious QB play for years. This year you couple that with bad officiating and there is only so much he can do. Other teams dont have weekly pick 6s and red zone int's.

Rex deserves, for once, an average QB.

Looking at the Jets schedule now, if they don't beat Detroit the season is over.

What I'd LIKE them to do: Beat the rest of the NFC teams.

The Jets play well against teams outside the AFC. They should've won these games the last two weeks, but they spotted Chicago 14 points yesterday.. and squandered a 21-3 lead the week before. Rex went 3-1 against the NFC last season, and (after doing a little research) he's never had a losing record for the year, in any one season he's coached the Jets since 2009. I think it's very possible for the Jets to beat both Detroit & Minnesota. **This takes the Jets to 3 wins.

What they're ABLE to do: Go .500 within the Division.

However they need to do it.. DO IT! I don't care how, just do it. If NE beats us the first time, then we have to beat them the second time. If the Pats sweep us, then we have to take both games against either Miami or Buffalo. We can split with all three teams for all I care, it doesn't matter.. just get to (at least) 3-3 against the AFC East. **This takes the Jets to 6 wins.

What they NEED to do: Beat both KC & Tennessee.

It won't be easy.. both games are on the road afterall. But they absolutely need to take both of these games. **This takes the Jets to 8 wins.

What they SHOULD do: Win at least one game they're not supposed to.

This usually happens at least once every year anyway. A team comes in overlooking the Jets, and bam.. we're giddy for a week. That's what needs to happen again this season. Whether that's Denver, San Diego, Pittsburgh.. whoever. Find a way to manufacture 1 victory against a team they're not favored against. **This would take the Jets to 9 wins.

..it's not an easy path, and nothing has gone right for them at all this season.. so, nobody should expect that to change. But it is still possible for this team to get their act together, and string a bunch of wins to make it to 9-7. I still believe that's possible.. I just don't believe that Geno Smith has the wherewithal to make it happen. Whether 9-7 is good enough to make it into the playoffs is anyone's guess.. but at least it would be an improvement from last year, and enable Ryan to justify coming back for a 7th season.

I don't think Sanchez ever finished in the top 20 in passer rating.

JETS_zpse76cced1.png

These are the only 2 players over the last 40 years that have been considered elite quarterbacks to have played for the Jets, since Joe Namath.

They are Top 10 in NFL history all-time in every statistical category for a quarterback. They have both made the Probowl with the Jets.. they have 800 combined TD's. They are players who struck fear into the opponents they played. --And make no mistake about it.. Michael Vick falls into that classification.

At 34 years of age, Vick is still an elite QB in the NFL. He can still lead you through crazy games.. he can still win you games.. he can still steal games! He is the most legit QB this franchise has had since Favre.. and he is on the FVCKING BENCH!!! How comfortable would Jet fans feel going up against Pittsburgh with a: Vick\Roethlisberger head-to-head? How about Rivers -vs- Vick? How about our two games against the Pats?? --you don't think Brady\Vick would get you primetime??

This team needs to WAKE THE FVCK UP!! We're not the Jacksonville Jaguars that need to cultivate a QB, at the cost of losing games.. WE'RE A GOOD FVCKING FOOTBALL TEAM!!! WE'RE A TEAM WITH TOP 5 DEFENSE, PLAYING WITH HALF A WING'S WORTH OF CORNERS!! WE'RE A TEAM THAT SHOULD BE 3-0.

CUT THE sh!t, SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE.. AND PLAY THE FVCKING BETTER QB! --SOMETHING THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE 3 WEEKS AGO!!!!!!!

no. Not really at all. I don't think Sanchez ever finished in the top 20 in passer rating.

Sanchez was never asked to carry that kind of load until after the O-Line deteriorated and the running game was non-existent.

Constantly playing on a third down and long without any protection is a non-win situation for any QB and took its tool on Sanchez over the past few years.    I could see Sanchez taking over as a starter in St. Louis in the next year or so.

In Vick's last three seasons prior to this one, he's played in 30 games and thrown 27 INT and fumbled the ball 10 times (not sure how many the other team recovered).  And as we know, he's never a sure bet to stay on the field.  Not saying he couldn't better what Smith has done, but just saying Vick too makes his share of mistakes, and we can't even really say that he would still be healthy at this point.  The "3-0 with Vick" hypothesis is a little flawed.

That being said, if Smith isn't getting it done against the Lions, I could see him getting benched during the game, and Vick getting a shot to run with the job, especially with the next 8 games being tough ones (four against divisional opponents, trips to SD, NE, KC and BUF, home games against the Broncos and Pittsburgh)...basically, if Smith gets benched and Vick plays well, win or lose, the Jets are definitely not automatically going back to Smith the following game.  You can't really make a case for any of those eight games being gimmes for the Jets, which means if Smith stinks against the Lions for so much as a half (the Jets have to find a way to beat the Lions), the Jets have to ride Vick and hope his play helps his team get four wins (preferably five) in those eight games.  If the Jets beat the Lions, that means they'd be 6-6 or 7-5.  I'd think most Jet fans would take that at this point, if they knew they were going to be 2-2 to start the season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If Smith gets benched and Vick plays well, win or lose, the Jets are definitely not automatically going back to Sanchez the following game.

Sanchez isn't a UFA anymore CR. He's with the Eagles. I would love to have him back here, believe me. I think alot of Jets regret losing him the way we did, and appreciate what they had. They'll never admit it.. but it's truth.

Sanchez isn't a UFA anymore CR. He's with the Eagles. I would love to have him back here, believe me. I think alot of Jets regret losing him the way we did, and appreciate what they had. They'll never admit it.. but it's truth.

Whoops, I didn't mean to mention Sanchez...that was a big-time slip!  I meant Smith.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

In Vick's last three seasons prior to this one, he's played in 30 games and thrown 27 INT and fumbled the ball 10 times (not sure how many the other team recovered).  And as we know, he's never a sure bet to stay on the field.  Not saying he couldn't better what Smith has done, but just saying Vick too makes his share of mistakes, and we can't even really say that he would still be healthy at this point.  The "3-0 with Vick" hypothesis is a little flawed.

That being said, if Smith isn't getting it done against the Lions, I could see him getting benched during the game, and Vick getting a shot to run with the job, especially with the next 8 games being tough ones (four against divisional opponents, trips to SD, NE, KC and BUF, home games against the Broncos and Pittsburgh)...basically, if Smith gets benched and Vick plays well, win or lose, the Jets are definitely not automatically going back to Smith the following game.  You can't really make a case for any of those eight games being gimmes for the Jets, which means if Smith stinks against the Lions for so much as a half (the Jets have to find a way to beat the Lions), the Jets have to ride Vick and hope his play helps his team get four wins (preferably five) in those eight games.  If the Jets beat the Lions, that means they'd be 6-6 or 7-5.  I'd think most Jet fans would take that at this point, if they knew they were going to be 2-2 to start the season. 

If Smith craps it up against Detroit then it's going to be Vick against the killer schedule we face after. At that point Rex can't let the season and his job slip away by sticking with the inferior hand too long. Vick has his flaws, 27 picks in 30 games is a little under 1 a game...you can live with that as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground. But with Vick you just flat out get a superior, veteran QB. The most elusive QB in the NFL, great arm strength...erratic at times but when Vick is on he can flat out win a game on his own. Geno can't. If Vick has one of those games where he has his accuracy and you can't put a hand on him...the Jets CAN go in and win some of those unwinnable games.

It's really a Foley/Testaverde 1998 situation again. Though Vinny was a lot more likeable.

I don't know what the Jets internal rumblings are, but this is not looking like a great division. I mean if things stay as they are I think NE takes it at 10-6 or something. We can't just wait around for a QB in a year with a ripe division.

Edited by '7'

Vick has his flaws, 27 picks in 30 games is a little under 1 a game...you can live with that as long as he doesn't put the ball on the ground.

..without question, Vick has his flaws. Every QB has flaws. But Vick's flaws are correctable. They're not due to limitations in skill-set, they're more about style & choice selection. You can reinforce ball security\responsibility, and decision making.

The guy flat-out wins games.. period! He's played 132 games, and has lost 48 of them! That's what I look at when I see Michael Vick, a player who can still steal you games.

Edited by Beezer34

He's played 132 games, and has lost 48 of them! That's what I look at when I see Michael Vick, a player who can still steal you games.

This is very misleading Beez.  Someone looking at the way you posted this info would think the guy is 84-48.  Here are more accurate and telling numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm

131 GP, 109 starts, 58-48-1 record. 

Right now he'd almost definitely be an upgrade over Smith, but he's not this big win-stealer. 

This is very misleading Beez. Someone looking at the way you posted this info would think the guy is 84-48. Here are more accurate and telling numbers:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/V/VickMi00.htm

109 starts, 58-48-1 record.

ProFootballReference is strictly looking at Vick's win\loss scrupulously through the games he's started. That's flawed, because: #1) They say he started 109 games, yet 58+48+1 doesn't equal 109. --and: #2) You're not accounting for the situational type role(s) that Vick had as a player, throughout much of his time in Philadelphia. Furthermore, where is the statistical variance in trying to determine the 23 missing games of the difference? :noclue:

*Example: In 2009, the Eagle went 11-5. Vick played 12 games, but only started 1. Through the last 5 games of the season, the Eagles won all 5 games. During those 5 victories, Vick rushed for nearly 70 yrds, (5.6 yrds per carry) and accounted for 3 TD's. 3/5 of those games were won by one possession or less. Without Vick, it's very likely that the Eagles may not have went 5-0 to end their season. Having said that.. do I think Vick should get credited for all\some of those wins? --no. However, there's no clear cut attributable method to properly account for how he helped make a play successful. Or, how many drives Vick kept alive through 1st downs. etc..

I'm not saying my train-of-thought is without flaws either.. but there should be a grey area for players like Vick who play WR\RB\QB.

I have to agree with CR, you're posting and looking at the numbers in a skewed way. Using that metric I could just as easily say Vick only won 58 of the 131 games he's played in the NFL, that would be just as unfair.

At least stick with the actual W/L record next time instead of posting numbers in a way that's obviously agenda driven. And clearly there's a two game difference between record and starts because he didn't finish two games that someone else got the decision in (injury, benching).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Only saw about half the game, but looked like more of the same.  Dumb, stupid mistakes by Geno and hopeless play from the secondary.  I really hope Rex doesn't pay for Idzik's arrogant nonsense.  He's not the greatest coach in the world but good christ can you give him a chance with an actual NFL QB and a AVERAGE secondary?