Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

One thing that's significant about this year as opposed to most years is that besides Jagr (and perhaps Zidlicky), NJ doesn't really have prominent guys going UFA. I mean, this just isn't true of NJ ever - 06 they had Langenbrunner and Elias, 07 Gomez and Rafalski, 08 .. Pandolfo and Salvador, but 09 had Gionta and Madden, 10 had Kovalchuk and Martin, 11 had Langenbrunner and Arnott, 12 had Brodeur and Parise, 13 had Elias, Zidlicky, and Zubrus, etc. Everyone else on the team is signed through next year - trouble is, I'd really want Jagr for next year. Really wouldn't mind dealing Zidlicky though.

lol uh oh, queue sterio coming in to note that we only re-signed two of those prominent guys you listed.

Seriously, it could be argued that the reason we don't have any prominent ufa's this year is because we already let them all walk over the past 6 years lol.

lol uh oh, queue sterio coming in to note that we only re-signed two of those prominent guys you listed.

Seriously, it could be argued that the reason we don't have any prominent ufa's this year is because we already let them all walk over the past 6 years lol.

well if you noticed and mentioned it's because there's actually something to mention lol

Edited by SterioDesign

I know and don't disagree I'm just hoping it doesn't throw the thread jnto an off topic tizzy.

personally im just gonna wait to see what Lou does this season.

but so far and in the past seems like all the teams except NJ are doing exactly what im saying Lou should at least allow himself to do. 

See Vanek, Diaz, Callahan... it's happening everywhere. Gms are checking with the players if they'll be able to keep them THEN they choose if they should keep them for a push OR trade them to assure they get something for them. It's only common sense to AT LEAST look into it, not keep yourself and the player in the dark and simply hope things go well a week before free agency.

They need to sell. But in the end they will do nothing either way.

Selling would be so dumb.  They're 2 points out of a playoff spot.  And if we do make it, there isn't one team in the East that can steamroll us in the playoffs.  Any team we play we could make a series out of.

why and why? Why wouldn't jagr fetch a first? He's playing better than last year when he was traded for a conditional first.

And why would you want to move him? We're still very much in contention and a ~#25ish pick in a weak draft isn't going to help much anytime soon. I would much rather wath jagr play the final 30 games and sink or swim with him than just give up any playoff hope for a late first.

I agree Jagr wouldn't fetch a 1st.  While it is possible, I just don't see it.

Just got this

ESPN - LW Thomas Vanek turns down contract offer from Islanders, likely to test free-agent market, agent says

What a terrible trade the was for the isles

That lowers his value though at least.  Now that we know he's going to test free agency, teams won't be willing to give up a lot of assets for him.

Brad Boyes in Florida is a free agent after this season and could be got for relatively cheap. 

Might be a Hail Mary type trade to hope he gels on a scoring line and is able to contribute.

I would love someone with a bit more grit. I imagine Chris Stewart as a gritty player but I've never really seen him play much.

Selling would be so dumb.  They're 2 points out of a playoff spot.  And if we do make it, there isn't one team in the East that can steamroll us in the playoffs.  Any team we play we could make a series out of.

I agree, why would you sell if your in the running for a playoff sport.

Brad Boyes in Florida is a free agent after this season and could be got for relatively cheap. 

Might be a Hail Mary type trade to hope he gels on a scoring line and is able to contribute.

I would love someone with a bit more grit. I imagine Chris Stewart as a gritty player but I've never really seen him play much.

Boyes would be a nice pickup imo.  He's excellent in the shootout for one.  And maybe he'll start to play hard knowing that he's on a team fighting for the playoffs.

I agree, why would you sell if your in the running for a playoff sport.

A lot of people feel that even if we make the playoffs, we would get embarrassed.  My counter to that is even if that does happen, there is absolutely no negative in making the playoffs.  I'd rather make the playoffs and lose in 4 straight games 10-0 than not make the playoffs at all.

Chris Stewart is the rumored return for Callahan with a new contract.  Just a rumor I know, but for our purposes, it would tend to show that the Devils don't have what it would take to satisfy St. Louis.

If they're looking for an NHL forward, it wouldn't be worth it.

why and why? Why wouldn't jagr fetch a first? He's playing better than last year when he was traded for a conditional first.

And why would you want to move him? We're still very much in contention and a ~#25ish pick in a weak draft isn't going to help much anytime soon. I would much rather wath jagr play the final 30 games and sink or swim with him than just give up any playoff hope for a late first.

We are not in contention. Cut the nonsense.

Selling would be so dumb. They're 2 points out of a playoff spot. And if we do make it, there isn't one team in the East that can steamroll us in the playoffs. Any team we play we could make a series out of.

People have been saying this for a month or two and yet we have never actually been in a playoff spot. This is not a quality team and it needs to get younger and faster. Sell and retool.

People have been saying this for a month or two and yet we have never actually been in a playoff spot. This is not a quality team and it needs to get younger and faster. Sell and retool.

me cut the nonsense? Half of what you post is nonsense... Right now we're a 48% chance to make the playoffs. How is that not in contention? Go root for the oilers if your interested in rebuilding they do it a lot over there.

WTF are you talking about?  The Devils are right there.  They may not make it, but to say they're not in contention is ludicrous. 

The goaltending is going to be better than it was earlier, with Schneider getting more of the starts.  BTW the Devils are 6-2-3 in their last 11 GP when Cory gets the nod.  They're also 11-6-6 in their last 23 overall (.610 point%).  There's reasons for optimism  

Yes we are in contention.  We have been in a playoff spot before actually.

We have a great defensive team.  We just have an inconsistent offense.  But even then the offensive problems with this team are greatly overstated.  The vast majority of the teams in this league are averaging in between 2 and 3 goals a game.  We're one of them.  Believe it or not, we can score enough to be successful.

me cut the nonsense? Half of what you post is nonsense... Right now we're a 48% chance to make the playoffs. How is that not in contention? Go root for the oilers if your interested in rebuilding they do it a lot over there.[/quote

All of what you post is nonsense. Then I guess everybody is still in contention! Even the isles!!!!!!!!!!

Until you factor reality into it.

Yes we are in contention. We have been in a playoff spot before actually.

We have a great defensive team. We just have an inconsistent offense. But even then the offensive problems with this team are greatly overstated. The vast majority of the teams in this league are averaging in between 2 and 3 goals a game. We're one of them. Believe it or not, we can score enough to be successful.

Excuse me, we were in a spot for what all of three days? Give me a break.

We have a decent defense. It is not great. We are a mediocre team which could very easily become poor based on a minimal slip in goalie play and continued lack of offense.

I agree. I want to keep him, and I don't think Lou will move him unless we're at least 10 points out by the deadline.

He's looked slow as molasses the last couple weeks and he couldn't skate in the third period at all.

All of what you post is nonsense. Then I guess everybody is still in contention! Even the isles!!!!!!!!!!

Until you factor reality into it.

We have an easy schedule the rest of the way.  We're 2 points back.  The Isles are 8 points behind us.  Do you even check the standings?

We have an easy schedule the rest of the way. We're 2 points back. The Isles are 8 points behind us. Do you even check the standings?

Three game swing is easily doable for them to catch up to us. We will fall flat on our face most likely. I have zero faith in this team to get it done and make the playoffs. And if anything the Devils have played like total garbage against teams they should beat. No schedule is every easy. Ever.

Excuse me, we were in a spot for what all of three days? Give me a break.

We have a decent defense. It is not great. We are a mediocre team which could very easily become poor based on a minimal slip in goalie play and continued lack of offense.

He's looked slow as molasses the last couple weeks and he couldn't skate in the third period at all.

Well, look at how long some of the other teams have held a playoff spot.  It's been about the same amount of time.  Philly held one for maybe a week.  Check the standings.

We have a great defensive team is what I said.  I wasn't talking specifically about the defensemen.  But if we wanna talk specifically about the blueline, then yes we actually do have a good one.  We have a top 10 blueline in the league.  I'd like you to try and tell me all the teams that have a better group of defensemen than we do.

Jagr hasn't had any speed for 5 years now.  What's your point?

Three game swing is easily doable for them to catch up to us. We will fall flat on our face most likely. I have zero faith in this team to get it done and make the playoffs. And if anything the Devils have played like total garbage against teams they should beat. No schedule is every easy. Ever.

If the Isles are close to us, I'd really like to hear your opinion on the separation between us and the last playoff spot is.  Apparently 2 points is more than 8 points in your mind.

Well, look at how long some of the other teams have held a playoff spot. It's been about the same amount of time. Philly held one for maybe a week. Check the standings.

We have a great defensive team is what I said. I wasn't talking specifically about the defensemen. But if we wanna talk specifically about the blueline, then yes we actually do have a good one. We have a top 10 blueline in the league. I'd like you to try and tell me all the teams that have a better group of defensemen than we do.

Jagr hasn't had any speed for 5 years now. What's your point?

There is a difference between not having speed and not being able to skate and get skated around or through. Jagr has lost his legs. It's abundantly clear over the last few weeks and will only get worse the end of this year. He looked awful in the 3rd against the Preds and even in the Blues game he was flailing and came close to taking a bad penalty.

Our defense is solid as a unit. But it's been designed to be the strength due to our offensive issues.

Well, look at how long some of the other teams have held a playoff spot. It's been about the same amount of time. Philly held one for maybe a week. Check the standings.

We have a great defensive team is what I said. I wasn't talking specifically about the defensemen. But if we wanna talk specifically about the blueline, then yes we actually do have a good one. We have a top 10 blueline in the league. I'd like you to try and tell me all the teams that have a better group of defensemen than we do.

Jagr hasn't had any speed for 5 years now. What's your point?

If the Isles are close to us, I'd really like to hear your opinion on the separation between us and the last playoff spot is. Apparently 2 points is more than 8 points in your mind.

That isn't what I said. You're pretty terrible at comprehension. I made my remarks to emphasize how close the standings are and looking critically at the teams play. We are 2 puts from the 8th spot but we are also only 6 from the bottom.