The Devils should just forfeit the rest of the series...

'7'

Sometimes that's enough.

Otherwise great post, but you left out lots of guys like Pavel Brendl and Grachev.

The only question is if grachev's #91 should be hung between giacomin and gilbert or leetch and richter? decision decisions

So do you think the third was the Devils stopping to figure out the "sofa maneuver"?

and I also want to add that this Rangers "system" is not like the Devils of old. The Devils of old made guys panic once they had to go into the Devils zone. You just saw it in their eyes -- they'd be on the rush and once they hit the blue line, choked up and started thinking. Did the Devils start hesitating to figure out the ice in the third? I think that was what the defense brought to Marty -- just made players broadcast their fear more so they were easier to read.

I too really loved your post '7' you really captured the game well.

no and i think we need to put together a stealth mission to kidnap the queen!

I don't think the queen has as much to do with it as the rest of the rugs constantly laying on the ice. According to yesterday's USA Today* (this doesn't include last night's game, obviously):

The Devils have blocked 37 shots since the playoffs started, with 21 blocked by Andy Greene.

Dan Girardi and Ryan McDongh have combined for 86 blocked shots. Marc Staal has 26, Ryan and Callahan has blocked 23.

* I don't have the online edition, so to properly credit quote is form USA Today, Monday May 14th, 2012, page 6C, in the article "No. 1 New York Rangers vs. No. 6 New Jersey Devils" by Kevin Allen

I don't think the queen has as much to do with it as the rest of the rugs constantly laying on the ice. According to yesterday's USA Today* (this doesn't include last night's game, obviously):

The Devils have blocked 37 shots since the playoffs started, with 21 blocked by Andy Greene.

Dan Girardi and Ryan McDongh have combined for 86 blocked shots. Marc Staal has 26, Ryan and Callahan has blocked 23.

The Rangers home scorer overcounts blocked shots. The Devils home scorer undercounts blocked shots.

HOME BLOCKED SHOTS, NYR: 666

HOME BLOCKED SHOTS, NJD: 332

ROAD BLOCKED SHOTS, NYR: 672

ROAD BLOCKED SHOTS, NJD: 606

I'm thinking you don't get through it. If the Rugs want to block shots with their faces and chests then let them; don't stop, hold the shot, and look for another angle just let it blast into them. A period or two of that should put some smiles on their bench, eh?

Exactly. They should keep shooting and keep shooting high on the Queen. The more faces they hit in the process the better. Man, I really have a strong dislike for these Rags. Besides, I hope we have better referees in game 2. Instead of being on a PP ourselves because of DZs hand on the puck we give up a PP goal. That sucks big time.

Blueprint to beat the Rangers: Study Brian Rafalski

So a major question for the Devils' coaching staff is: How to you beat Torts' sprawling wingers and get shots? This is especially important since the Devils already have had trouble scoring on goaltender extraordinaire Henrik Lundqvist. The answer is simple: go "Back to the Future."

Larry Robinson, the Devils assistant and defensive coach, was coaching Brian Rafalski during his tenure as the head coach of New Jersey in the early 2000s. Rafalski's offensive style from the point is the ingredient needed to neutralize flailing forwards who create snow angels while taking away your shooting lanes from the point.

Brian Rafalski mastered the hard wrist/ snap shot from the point, that was more accurate than a slap shot and more susceptible to deflections in front of the net. And he had a quick release. It's enough to make you think of adding Petr Sykora to the point on the Power Play because of his well-timed shot with the precision of a marksman.

Am I the only one that's legit worried? :(

I'm a bit troubled myself. The Devils worst enemy will be themselves. They CANNOT allow the Rangers and Lundqvist to get inside their heads. This would be a self-enflicted mortal wound.

Instead, the Devils have to work, work, and work. And if they go down a goal or two, be resilient to come back and score.

The Devils have a much more potent offense. They have to keep things simple, shoot more, and stymie the Rangers to a point where they start questioning themselves.

Also, you CANNOT have goals like the one Kreider scored last night.

Rafalski was also one of the best I've ever seen at keeping pucks in the zone, never saw a puck bounce over his stick, or through his legs. He kept everything in

Romanticizing the past just a little bit. He had his hiccups there, but so does virtually every defenseman.

Larsson

A year or two away.

Am I the only one that's legit worried? :(

No, but they've already proven me wrong twice in the postseason, after Game 3 against Florida I thought they were still choking dogs, and after Game 1 against the Flyers I thought they were the better team.

That said, Henry isn't Clemmensen/Theodore or Bryz, and the Rangers turn shot blocking into an art. Game 2's pretty much a must since I can't see us sweeping the home games. Plus the more they win, the less of a home ice we actually will have in this series.

• 3 weeks later...