Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#901 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

@TGfireandice: RT @GlobeKPD: Getting some very positive vibes just now out of NHL's Manhattan Project. A vy encouraging word relayed from owner's side.

Positive vibes? Did they all get stoned and listen to Bob Marley?

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#902 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

He isn't right. Even if it's over tomorrow, he isn't right.

I don't know, this whole meeting's starting to smell like a setup (in a good way). Think about it, the whole hockey world hates both Bettman and Fehr. Even them coming to a deal isn't going to give everyone warm fuzzies, it would be just like - finally. But if you have a deal that everyone thinks originated with the players and owners themselves, a lot of the bitterness over the lockout gets glossed over since it's the guys who matter to hockey fans - team owners and players - that laid the groundwork for a deal to finally get done instead of Bettman/Fehr, who everyone's going to hate no matter what. Plus if there are going to be concessions on both sides which presumably there are, Bettman/Fehr don't want to be seen as the ones who gave them because of their labor reps.

Not to mention after the guy's story comes out all the big Canadian guys (McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun) go dark for like eighteen hours, and nobody directly refutes it - only saying that they don't know anything about it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#903 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Unless Jacobs was the guy holding everything up and Jacobs told Burton the owners were going to get compromises going tomorrow. Then Burton would have a pretty good case for saying he thinks a deal could be done today or tomorrow.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#904 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I don't know, this whole meeting's starting to smell like a setup (in a good way). Think about it, the whole hockey world hates both Bettman and Fehr. Even them coming to a deal isn't going to give everyone warm fuzzies, it would be just like - finally. But if you have a deal that everyone thinks originated with the players and owners themselves, a lot of the bitterness over the lockout gets glossed over since it's the guys who matter to hockey fans - team owners and players - that laid the groundwork for a deal to finally get done instead of Bettman/Fehr, who everyone's going to hate no matter what. Plus if there are going to be concessions on both sides which presumably there are, Bettman/Fehr don't want to be seen as the ones who gave them because of their labor reps.

Not to mention after the guy's story comes out all the big Canadian guys (McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun) go dark for like eighteen hours, and nobody directly refutes it - only saying that they don't know anything about it.

The twitter for icejerseys.com actually floated this theory earlier today. We will just have to wait and see.

#905 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Not to mention now the meme has become how the Penguins are ending the lockout (Burkle, etc), another excuse to pimp the Pens...that's part of what's convincing me this is an orchestrated setup :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#906 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

I don't care if Crosby rode a horse in armour out of the meetings with a new CBA in his hand...as long as it's over.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#907 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

It does seem to me this was the date the owners were finally going to start negotiating. I think it's obvious by bringing Burkle and Tanembaum into the meetings. In the process of this waiting they got the players to offer make whole and come down to 50/50. Now we should see a few trades of items to get a deal done.

#908 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

You know what, there may have been a leak out of Jacobs camp that this was the owners deadline to play hard ball. It's pretty thin but it's a possiblity. That may have been what he was reporting. I would love to be inside the BOG meetings tomorrow, I would say emotion will be let loose.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 05 December 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#909 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Daly refuted it right away through all sources who would listen. Union people also denied it although I think they were unnamed. McKenzie said he didn't know anything because journalists don't step on each other's toes like that - this Burton guy is well thought of by people, and they figure he's adhering to the same standards as a regular journalist.

Unless Jacobs was the guy holding everything up and Jacobs told Burton the owners were going to get compromises going tomorrow. Then Burton would have a pretty good case for saying he thinks a deal could be done today or tomorrow.

I don't see the angle for him to do that unless it somehow leaked out of the Bruins' organization.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#910 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Daly refuted it right away through all sources who would listen. Union people also denied it although I think they were unnamed. McKenzie said he didn't know anything because journalists don't step on each other's toes like that - this Burton guy is well thought of by people, and they figure he's adhering to the same standards as a regular journalist.

Daly was never going to say anything else. How long did the league deny the Atlanta moving to Winnipeg rumors last year before it was actually announced?

#911 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

TG refuted the Kovy to NJ reports...I guess that trade never happened. :whistling:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Daly: "We are going to meet tomorrow morning before our board meeting at 11."

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
Good signs: Daly, Steve Fehr stand side by side, say progress is being made, stay tight-lipped about details, say talks will continue.

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 December 2012 - 12:10 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#912 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

The fact Daly and S. Fehr addressed the media together, side by side is a good sign.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#913 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Daly was never going to say anything else. How long did the league deny the Atlanta moving to Winnipeg rumors last year before it was actually announced?

Is there a deal done now? No? Then the guy was wrong. I'm sorry, but his story never made any sense.

EDIT: oh yeah, I guess he has one more day to be 'right.' even though this could be a pretty clear case of eklunding.

Edited by Triumph, 05 December 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#914 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:27 AM

Is there a deal done now? No? Then the guy was wrong. I'm sorry, but his story never made any sense.

EDIT: oh yeah, I guess he has one more day to be 'right.' even though this could be a pretty clear case of eklunding.

I believe the exact words were 'there was progress made and a deal 'could' be announced as early as Tuesday or Wednesday'. Could leaves just enough wiggle room in case it gets done, say Friday instead of today but it seems like there has been actual progress either way.

And Eklunding is parroting onto the first rumor and then passing it off as your own scoop...this guy literally WAS the first one to say there's been progress made.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 December 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#915 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

From everything I've seen, this Burton guy seems pretty credible. I'd hate to see a credible guy get his name dragged through the mud just because everyone demands instant gratification on a scoop (Andrew Baggarly comes to mind).

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. One way or another, it's only Tuesday and I'd already say this has been the most optimistic week of the lockout.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#916 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

From everything I've seen, this Burton guy seems pretty credible. I'd hate to see a credible guy get his name dragged through the mud just because everyone demands instant gratification on a scoop (Andrew Baggarly comes to mind).

Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. One way or another, it's only Tuesday and I'd already say this has been the most optimistic week of the lockout.

Eklunding was harsh, but my sense is that he misunderstood the information he passed along. They're still negotiating, so what are they doing, pretending in there? It doesn't make sense that someone could report 'a CBA is about to be agreed to' when there weren't any negotiations to speak of, and I'm not buying the secret negotiations.

#917 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Looks like we are finally getting to the end of this. Owners are staying in NY until a deal is reached. Bettman wants it to be done by Friday. Owners want at least a 62 gm schedule to keep 100% revenue from sponsors.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#918 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,086 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Where did you see that Zub?

#919 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Where did you see that Zub?

Bettman wants deal done by Friday
http://blogs.edmonto...k-kypreos-says/

Yahoo Sports posted a month ago on the Sponsors deal with NHL
"According to a source with a good knowledge of the NHL’s business workings, the league has a deal with its major sponsors that will pay it 100 percent of its money if the league plays a schedule of 61 or more games. If the schedule dips below 61 games, the league will receive only 75 percent of its sponsorship money. That percentage continues to decrease down to 50 percent if the league only plays a 41-game schedule."

Sam Carchidi - Flyers Beat Wrtier
@BroadStBull: Source: Owners plan to stay in NY as many days as it takes to get settlement.

That deal with the sponsors is huge because obviously money talks and if the NHL wants to salvage 100% of sponsor revenue with a 62 game schedule they need to enact a new CBA as soon as possible.

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 December 2012 - 01:24 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#920 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Nick Kypreos: I've heard from players that they have been contacted by coaches to tell them to get ready

He said this on hockey central. I dont know how since coaches are not allowed to talk to players during a lock out. Either his report is wrong or they agreed in principle on a deal.

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 December 2012 - 01:31 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users