GDT: ECF Game 5 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

ZeroGravityFat

I think you and I are two of the older fans here and have followed this team some of the longest, so I understand your frustration. However, even I lost hope in the late '80s. I missed the Cinderella run of '88 because I was so tired of losing and simply didn't follow hockey that year. I ended up tuning in for the late part of the finals and that was it. Does that make me fair weather? I suppose so. But then again I was there rooting from about '81 when they were lame duck in Colorado to early '88 and there was a LOT of losing and I started up again around '90 or so. Now one minute of losing isn't the same as half a decade of utter humiliation, including the infamous Gretzky attack on our franchise, but I guess I understand the sentiment. Most of our fan base isn't even old enough to know what it is like to have a losing season. Last season was the closest thing they've had those early days.

Just my couple o pennies.

In fairness, the Devils were improving slowly but surely each season after bottoming out in '84 with 41 points, and in '88 had actually gotten off to a nice start to the season before fading, then picking it back up again to get into the playoffs.

Yeah, some of the younger fans can come off as unappreciative, entitled, spoiled, whatever, but for me I've always maintained that fans can't help when they were born. If a fan was born in '87 or some year around then, his early Devils hockey experience might have consisted of watching the Devis win their first Cup...not every playoff run has ended in success, but a fan born in '87 has seen his team get to four Cup finals, win three Cups, be a factor almost every season, and miss the playoffs twice (he wouldn't remember the '89 playoff miss). If that's your frame of reference, yeah, it's easy to feel like it's preordained that your team automatically will enjoy sustained success.

Stan said it almost seemed unfair the rangers lost. Torts disagreed. That dinosaur fischler should call it quits already

Stan's not wrong though...we were complaining enough after losing Games 1 and 3 and we didn't even dominate either game as much as the Rangers dominated for 50 minutes tonight. I mean really, if we're going to complain about losing when we have the better of play let's at least acknowledge it when it (finally) goes the other way.

Well we took the Rags best punch and survived...sure some luck was involved but you know what...

the rags 3rd goal was luck

the fact that blatant high stick on callahan went uncalled was luck. That still has me angry, even after the win.

so whatever, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I know what went on, Torts drilled it in them "everybody is saying you're done, tired etc" so after the initial 3-0 shock they rags played with renewed fire and intensity

WE STILL WON

we broke there fvcking hearts. You can bank on it. The rags won't play at this level again, and neither will the Devs.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Not counting my chickens just yet, but if your a Rags fan, are you really confident in this team right now? They have NOT won 2 games in a row in the playoff this season and I have a hard time believing that they will do it now. I firmly believe the Devils are in their head.

The Devils have the skate to the Rags throats not. Lets put them away on Friday!

LETS GO DEVILS!!

Mike

They won two in a row against Ottawa. I do think we will win at this point, though, that was a punch to the kidneys and Lundqvist has not been awesome the last two games. The Rangers came out of the shell tonight and I don't think we were ready for it, we got up 3-0 but they had a hard time with it. Now you have tape as they have rarely come out of their shell in the playoffs

Not counting my chickens just yet, but if your a Rags fan, are you really confident in this team right now? They have NOT won 2 games in a row in the playoff this season and I have a hard time believing that they will do it now. I firmly believe the Devils are in their head.

The Devils have the skate to the Rags throats not. Lets put them away on Friday!

LETS GO DEVILS!!

Mike

Kind of amazing that the Rangers are just 10-9 in the playoffs thus far. They lose Game 6 and they finish the playoffs with a .500 record. You rarely see that from a team that gets to the Conference Finals.

I might be wrong, but it looked to me like the Rangers were too busy trying to intimidate the Devils in the 1st period and maybe were too busy doing that than playing D and when the Devils put 3 in the net, it woke them up.

Rags come back and put in 3 on us and the Garden's rocking, but the Devs come back and score 2 to ice this game. Rags's Psyche has to be damaged but you can't count them out.

I said Devils in 7, but right now, you have to put them away Friday. you let the Rags back in and Sunday might be real ugly.

I'm not the most knowlegable hockey guy out there. I only comment on what I see and sometimes I see things wrong.

Mike

• Like 1

'The next time they let up a 3-0 lead' lol...the fact that was even said makes me laugh. You couldn't get away scripting this stuff in Hollywood.

Well, it does happen with this team. Remember blowing the lead to Carolina? Anyway.. shiit happens. I hope to God they can win on Friday and put the Rags away for good!

Nah....he has to defend it...the year after though...no matter what.

haha yeah I guess he would have to defend it.. I dont think hes going to retire either way, he plays it cause he loves it not becuase he reached some number where people now think hes old and slow

LETS GO DEVILS!!

Mike

I hunk the Rags won two straight games against the Sens (games 6 and 7).