Things you can't stand at a hockey game

spyro

The rangers suck chant is awesome. How can u hate it?

Because it's retarded and juvenile, but probably cool if you are about 6, The Rangers (to me) are a non-entity, far too insignificant to "make up" a chant about them, A total joke of a franchise from a city that thinks it can buy championships in all four sports- it does not happen in the real world ( unless you're Detroit)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because we pay their salaries

Perhaps if the slobs took their garbage and put it in the trash cans where it's supposed to be there wouldn't be a need for the extra cleaners to clean up arenas=less expenses for the hockey club=cheaper tickets.

I'm surprised at this response SH :unsure:

Perhaps if the slobs took their garbage and put it in the trash cans where it's supposed to be there wouldn't be a need for the extra cleaners to clean up arenas=less expenses for the hockey club=cheaper tickets.

If you think that would actually lower ticket prices you are out of your mind.

The day that they let people stay and watch the NFC championship on the jumbotron, I watched the cleaners come through. It's literally like one guy per four sections that just walks through each row to pick up trash, find lost items, or just generally tidy up. We'd need that anyway, whether people throw their trash out or not. Cutting those 20 guys' salaries wouldn't drop our prices a nickel.

Probably not SH, but I'm sure a little bit of respect would be appreciated, I don't throw trash from my car to give the street sweepers "something to do"

I'm not saying you do this, but personaly I think that people who leave trash all over the movie house and football-baseball-hockey-basketball stadiums/arenas are what they leave behind=trash, as opposed to putting the trash where it belongs-the trash can.

You ( not you personaly) wouldn't do it in your own home, so why do it in someone elses "home"

I think it's tacky and shows bad parenting, people should show some respect.

I don't think leaving trash behind is so bad. It's really no different than leaving your dishes on the table at a restaurant. There is someone hired to pick t up and if they didn't have that person it is simply more profit for the owner, not lower ticket prices. Besides, it is providing a job which is always a good thing.

Probably not SH, but I'm sure a little bit of respect would be appreciated, I don't throw trash from my car to give the street sweepers "something to do"

I'm not saying you do this, but personaly I think that people who leave trash all over the movie house and football-baseball-hockey-basketball stadiums/arenas are what they leave behind=trash, as opposed to putting the trash where it belongs-the trash can.

You ( not you personaly) wouldn't do it in your own home, so why do it in someone elses "home"

I don't throw my trash outside of my car because that actually affects the environment.

I don't give a sh!t if I leave trash inside any stadium/arena because they rip us off at is between ticket prices, parking, and prices of food. I personally don't have any respect for the stadiums/arenas and I don't care if I leave trash behind cause they have plenty of money to pay the guys to clean up.

btw this is one of the more absurd arguments I have had in awhile lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

I agree, it's a lack of respect. I work in a hockey shop and it pisses me off when people come in and pick up all the sticks and skates and then just leave a huge mess on the floor for me to clean up after them. I don't get it, when I go into a store, arena, theater, mall, whatever, I always put my garbage in a garbage can without even thinking about it, what is wrong with these people? Friggin animals.

I don't throw my trash outside of my car because that actually affects the environment.

I don't give a sh!t if I leave trash inside any stadium/arena because they rip us off at is between ticket prices, parking, and prices of food. I personally don't have any respect for the stadiums/arenas and I don't care if I leave trash behind cause they have plenty of money to pay the guys to clean up.

btw this is one of the more absurd arguments I have had in awhile lol

Come on man, the people who you are making clean up your mess aren't the ones setting the prices. It wouldn't kill you to just make someone's day at work a little easier by throwing your garbage out on the way to the exit.

Also, the people setting the prices are trying to make money since this is a business. They aren't ripping you off any more than a movie theater, amusement park, concert venue, etc.

Wow this is a juvenile argument. Maybe cleaning up won't lower ticket prices, but I can assure you that more people leaving more garbage will lead to higher prices.

And it's not the janitors fault that you pay a lot to attend a hockey game. Whatever job you have, I'm pretty sure theres a way people could feasibly find a way to make your job a living hell and justify it by some discrete policy your company has that you have no control over.

Didnt anyone teach you the golden rule?

Come on man, the people who you are making clean up your mess aren't the ones setting the prices. It wouldn't kill you to just make someone's day at work a little easier by throwing your garbage out on the way to the exit.

Also, the people setting the prices are trying to make money since this is a business. They aren't ripping you off any more than a movie theater, amusement park, concert venue, etc.

Make someone's work a little easier? Why should one have to think about that? For one, that job isn't exactly difficult and second, not everyone leaves trash behind or even has trash. So right there they don't have to collect from every single seat.

What if everyone left their seat clean and pristine? Then the job would no longer be needed. They'll fire him. He might turn to crime, then drugs, then possible murder someone (Hey, it's Newark right?) and then go to jail or die on the streets.

Is that extreme? Sure it is, but it could happen.

I don't think leaving trash behind is so bad. It's really no different than leaving your dishes on the table at a restaurant. There is someone hired to pick t up and if they didn't have that person it is simply more profit for the owner, not lower ticket prices. Besides, it is providing a job which is always a good thing.

If you got laid off and your job was outsourced to five Malaysian immigrants, that would create four new jobs, which is always a good thing.

I'm pretty sure theres a way people could feasibly find a way to make your job a living hell and justify it by some discrete policy your company has that you have no control over.

How are you making this persons job a living hell? It's his job to collect the garbage isn't it? I mean that's his job, you aren't making it any worse. Do you take your dishes back to the kitchen so that you make the busboy's job easier?

If you got laid off and your job was outsourced to five Malaysian immigrants, that would create four new jobs, which is always a good thing.

Not if the job is in Malaysia. Honestly, that makes no sense. Why would they fire one person and hire five people?

Zero leg room in the upper deck. And I'm only 5'10"

"you're fat!"

Thank Overtime for that one... :ECW:

- People who complain about the refs on legit penalties (e.g., player X outright hooks/trips/holds player B and gets caught and the fans complain because they didn't even see the play happen).

Edited by Richer's Ghost

This argument is so stupid. I don't even buy food at the arena cause I frankly think it's not very good for the price so I don't even leave trash there I just don't give a sh!t if I ever do or if other people do.

and yeah I'm sure people leaving tons of empty bottles and cardboard containers are just making the lives of those janitors a living hell. :rolleyes:

Also when we use to be at the meadowlands did you all use to throw you're bottles and garbage out? or did you just leave them there because you know in an hour that they will be driving around with the trucks that clean the garbage up?

How are you making this persons job a living hell? It's his job to collect the garbage isn't it? I mean that's his job, you aren't making it any worse. Do you take your dishes back to the kitchen so that you make the busboy's job easier?

Great point. Some people need to just come down from there high perches cause I'm sure almost all of us leave their garbage at arena at some point.

I have season tickets downstairs and I have rarely ever seen anyone carry their garbage up the stairs to throw it out. If you are one of those special people that does than that's good for you.

Not if the job is in Malaysia. Honestly, that makes no sense. Why would they fire one person and hire five people?

First, cleaning up garbage is usually a small part of their jobs. I know a couple people that worked at MSG and I worked at Fenway Park myself for Aramark (doing accounting work) and assuming its a similiar policy they spend about an hour or two out of the six or so they are there. If there is less garbage, they go on to the next task - when you work in a place as big as the Rock there is always more work to be done then employees.

2nd - This happens every day, its called outsourcing to developing countries. Its cheaper to pay four or five people in other countries than one person here. The job is for your presumably US based employer, regardless of where the work is done. Try calling Dell or AT&T for customer service and ask them where theyre located.

For the idiotic prices they charge for tickets, food and souvenirs

I prefer to consider it a fringe benefit that I get my crap cleaned up for me by the staff... and a minor step in getting my money's worth (well it's better then Brian's 35 souvenir cup collection from last year :P)

Make someone's work a little easier? Why should one have to think about that? For one, that job isn't exactly difficult and second, not everyone leaves trash behind or even has trash. So right there they don't have to collect from every single seat.

What if everyone left their seat clean and pristine? Then the job would no longer be needed. They'll fire him. He might turn to crime, then drugs, then possible murder someone (Hey, it's Newark right?) and then go to jail or die on the streets.

Is that extreme? Sure it is, but it could happen.

It's just a nice gesture. How hard is it for a person to carry his cup and tray with him on the way out and then drop it off in a garbage can? Yea if everyone left their seat clean and pristine they wouldn't need that job, but that is unrealistic, so the job will always be needed.

Part of my job is to make sure the store is always clean. That doesn't make it okay for people to just throw the skates all over the store after they try them on.

First, cleaning up garbage is usually a small part of their jobs. I know a couple people that worked at MSG and I worked at Fenway Park myself for Aramark (doing accounting work) and assuming its a similiar policy they spend about an hour or two out of the six or so they are there. If there is less garbage, they go on to the next task - when you work in a place as big as the Rock there is always more work to be done then employees.

2nd - This happens every day, its called outsourcing to developing countries. Its cheaper to pay four or five people in other countries than one person here. The job is for your presumably US based employer, regardless of where the work is done. Try calling Dell or AT&T for customer service and ask them where theyre located.

So? It is still part of their job. I am not obligated to make someone's job easier. It is their JOB after all. What difference does it make if it is part of their job or all of their job? They should expect to clean up trash from 18,000 seats but obviously they don't have to. If they didn't want people doing it they'd put up sign telling people to throw their trash out and put garbage cans everywhere like at the bottom of the stairs, I don't recall them being there, if they are there then ok.

As for outsourcing, irrelevant to this conversation. You can't outsource garbage collection to another country because, well, the garbage is here, not in Malaysia.

It's just a nice gesture. How hard is it for a person to carry his cup and tray with him on the way out and then drop it off in a garbage can? Yea if everyone left their seat clean and pristine they wouldn't need that job, but that is unrealistic, so the job will always be needed.

Part of my job is to make sure the store is always clean. That doesn't make it okay for people to just throw the skates all over the store after they try them on.

You are suggesting that everyone should pick up their trash therefore there is less for that janitor to do but then you are saying it's unrealistic so that means you expect some people to leave garbage behind, so those that do are those like Satans Hockey and sometimes me.

Hey, I'm not saying you should make a mess. Don't go squirting mustard everywhere or spilling your drink all over the place. Now THAT would be making things harder. Just leave your tray by the seat.

Edited by sammyk

You are suggesting that everyone should pick up their trash therefore there is less for that janitor to do but then you are saying it's unrealistic so that means you expect some people to leave garbage behind, so those that do are those like Satans Hockey and sometimes me.

Hey, I'm not saying you should make a mess. Don't go squirting mustard everywhere or spilling your drink all over the place. Now THAT would be making things harder. Just leave your tray by the seat.

Well there will always be crumbs and spilled drinks and stuff all over the place for them to clean up. Taking your cup and tray to the garbage probably isn't going to cost them their job.

And it does make a difference if it is part of the job or all of the job. If there was nothing for them to clean, and their only job was to clean it, then there would be no need for them. But since they do other stuff, they will still be needed so you don't need to worry about them being fired if you throw your trash in the trash can.

Exactly. It's just common courtesy. What bugs me is that there's so many people in this world -- and in this thread -- who have completely lost all regard for anyone other than themselves that they think they can just run around doing whatever the hell they want. Not only that, but they go so far as to create excuses and to spin things so that everyone ELSE is the a$$hole, not them. And, of course, they're all going to get offended by this and accuse me of being up on a high horse, but frankly, they're the ones who need to get off of their high horses and quit acting like the universe revolves around them.

Wow, we're discussing whether or not to throw out our trash and we've got like two months left before the puck drops. Ouch.

Personally, I usually throw my stuff out if it's convenient, but almost always leave some kind of trash under my seat. I don't think it's a big deal. I mean, don't the people cleaning up just push a broom down all the rows? They're gonna push the broom down my row anyway, and that job takes all of five seconds. Not a big deal. This thread has turned rather shallow and pedantic. :lol: