Free Agent Desirability Rankings?

DH26

Justin Bourne tried to rank all 30 teams in FA desirability and puts NJ 29 and doesn't think anyone will go there. Somehow behind PHX/CBJ/Winnipeg (!)/Edmonton/Ottawa amongst others. And it's not like they haven't signed anybody either (Kovy/Rolston/Tallinder/Oduya/Hedberg/Volchenkov/Ryder etc).

Cites midlevel fan interest as a problem and yet we're behind PHX.

Didn't know where to put this, just thought it was a joke and forgets any significant signings we've had that other teams like PHX/Washington/Edmonton haven't in years

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/07/16/ranking-the-desirability-of-all-30-nhl-destinations-to-unrestricted-free-agents/

Justin Bourne tried to rank all 30 teams in FA desirability and puts NJ 29 and doesn't think anyone will go there. Somehow behind PHX/CBJ/Winnipeg (!)/Edmonton/Ottawa amongst others. And it's not like they haven't signed anybody either (Kovy/Rolston/Tallinder/Oduya/Hedberg/Volchenkov/Ryder etc).

Didn't know where to put this, just thought it was a joke and forgets any significant signings we've had that other teams like PHX/Washington/Edmonton haven't in years

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/07/16/ranking-the-desirability-of-all-30-nhl-destinations-to-unrestricted-free-agents/

Looks like another case of someone ranking teams based solely on stereotypes and nothing else. Yet the Islanders are 22, 'trying to put aside biases'.

Looks like another case of someone ranking teams based solely on stereotypes and nothing else. Yet the Islanders are 22, 'trying to put aside biases'.

The Isles I at least understand, it's still NYC (once they go to BK) and they're up and coming. The Islanders won't sign anyone except the random Streit deals, but some of the other ones are just confusing and stupid. Like I'm pretty sure nobody's signed in PHX since Roenick :P

When you do a ranking like this, some teams and their fans are going to get pissed. Stereotypes or not, these are what many players base their decisions on. The Devils are a weaker team after losing Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson. The loss of Kovalchuk may have hurt signing Clowe and Ryder, and that is why Lou most likely asked Kovalchuk to delay his announcement. My guess is Michael Ryder signs with the Bruins if he knows Kovy is gone. The financial situation is a giant question mark for players, and it did worry free agents around the league and the team's own free agents. Lou had to assure them the team was doing fine.

The Devils brought people to Jersey or kept their free agents because of success and because treats its players well. Well they took a ton of hits, so I can't blame any author for ranking them low. Do I necessarily agree with 29, no. But the financial aspect has most free agents worried on first look.

Now only if the writer knew about the airport. We'd be pumped a few spots up. 

This is about as useless as the list of greatest players to wear a particular number. 

When you do a ranking like this, some teams and their fans are going to get pissed. Stereotypes or not, these are what many players base their decisions on. The Devils are a weaker team after losing Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson. The loss of Kovalchuk may have hurt signing Clowe and Ryder, and that is why Lou most likely asked Kovalchuk to delay his announcement. My guess is Michael Ryder signs with the Bruins if he knows Kovy is gone. The financial situation is a giant question mark for players, and it did worry free agents around the league and the team's own free agents. Lou had to assure them the team was doing fine.

The Devils brought people to Jersey or kept their free agents because of success and because treats its players well. Well they took a ton of hits, so I can't blame any author for ranking them low. Do I necessarily agree with 29, no. But the financial aspect has most free agents worried on first look.

Now only if the writer knew about the airport. We'd be pumped a few spots up. 

If I were doing a fair ranking, I'd probably have the Devils around 15-20.  I don't think Ryder signs in Boston because they were only offering him 1 year.  The financial situation seems temporary, but that's not even cited by Bourne.  And of course Bourne like all the other people who don't know very much about the NHL think the Devils are a non-playoff team.  If they make the playoffs this year, that stigma will go away.

Kovalchuk was worth at most 3 wins a year as a Devil.  That's just not that huge a drop especially if you get a player in free agency.

Edited by Triumph

How can you talk about NYC being so attractive and then discount the fact that many players love being able to either live in Hoboken (Parise, Clarky, Greene, Fayne) and do the city thing, or live in the suburbs and have a quiet life ala Stevens, Elias, Zajac and Marty.. I think that's a huge plus

We ARE biased, but the facts are this: Northern New Jersey has pound-for-pound one of the largest populations of celebrities and athletes in the country, one of the top 3 richest counties in Bergen County. How that isn't a draw enough to push us away from #29 place, I have no idea.

The guy's obviously a hack. I'd take some shots toward Rangers too if I had a blog.

Edited by DJ Eco

We ARE biased, but the facts are this: Northern New Jersey has pound-for-pound one of the largest populations of celebrities and athletes in the country, one of the top 3 richest counties in Bergen County. How that isn't a draw enough to push us away from #29 place, I have no idea.

The guy's obviously a hack. I'd take some shots toward Rangers too if I had a blog.

Not according to forbes.  Also Hunterdon, Somerset and Morris are richer.

Anyways that writer is an idiot and he a notorious Devils basher.  He can suck my balls.

Not according to forbes.  Also Hunterdon, Somerset and Morris are richer.

Anyways that writer is an idiot and he a notorious Devils basher.  He can suck my balls.

Whoops you're right! I was actually thinking specifically about Alpine, NJ, which is America's richest zip code. But yeah, county-wise, you're correct!

It can be argued that this is because of our proximity to two of the largest cities on the east coast in NY and Philly, and not that there is anything within NJ to draw celebrities and athletes . Also, if we're going to talk about having rich communities, I think it is also pertinent to mention that NJ is also among the contiguous states with the highest cost of living....

I LOVE this state, but it is damn expensive. 

Suck my fvcking balls. We are the New Jersey fvcking Devils. And we're better than you. Period. And yeah, I'm arrogant about it.

I love your attitude.

I never got how Ranger and Flyer fans could be so arrogant when they've amounted to jack-sh!t in the last few decades. We are without a doubt the only tri-state team that has the right to be arrogant and we get the least respect. (Not that it's something I'm not used to.) I welcome stories like this. The more "articles" like this the more crow there is for these "journalists" to eat.

Bourne is a Devils-hater without question, constantly trolls about them on Twitter.  Whatever, NJ's record signing free agents and retaining its own players speaks for itself.

that track record was not based on the Devils without Zach, Kovy, Clarkson and elias nearing retirement and their endless streak of playoff appearances... its hard for fans to admit and say but let's face it. Its really not too appealing at the moment compared to a few years ago

that track record was not based on the Devils without Zach, Kovy, Clarkson and elias nearing retirement and their endless streak of playoff appearances... its hard for fans to admit and say but let's face it. Its really not too appealing at the moment compared to a few years ago

Elias Zubrus and Zidlicky stayed, and Clowe and Ryder joined. Whether or not they joined because they thought Kovalchuk was a great player that they wanted to play with is up for debate, but since we know Kovalchuk is not that valuable a player, assuming NJ can make the playoffs this year the Devils will be fine.

but we got Tedenby in the system

It can be argued that this is because of our proximity to two of the largest cities on the east coast in NY and Philly, and not that there is anything within NJ to draw celebrities and athletes.

I'd say that IS the draw. B- or C-list celebrities can go on just fine living in some neighborhoods of Tribeca or West Village, but really, someone with a lot of money, considerable fame, and (most importantly) family will always look at large house options in New Jersey and Connecticut/Westchester before a much smaller $10 million pad in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Keep in mind, the "big name signings" are all developed players; I'd say the age of the big ticket UFAs range from 25-30, they're rarely not 21 year olds like Crosby or Toews reaching the UFA market. They (athletes in general) have families and different priorities by the late 20s that New Jersey has been known to appeal to. In hockey especially, many of these guys grew up in rural Canada, the big bright lights of a big city is not all that appealing to them. This blogger's full of sh!t putting New York near the top of the list because of the draw of a big city. Boston makes more sense.

Edited by DJ Eco