RYAN SMYTH TO ISLES??

jkrdevil

Yes, we took a gamble - but not really. Hepatitis is no longer an issue. This conference is not the more physical one anymore - the Sabres, Devils, Senators, Penguins, and Hurricanes are largely finesse teams.

Tearing down Edmonton doesn't make much sense - but there's a lot of forwards avaliable this offseason. He could take a run at any one of them. He could try to sign Bertuzzi to a discounted, incentive laden deal. He's given himself more assets - and hasn't locked himself into a bad contract, which Smyth's will almost inevitably be, given his injury history. I recognize he's a heart and soul player, and the Devils really lack a guy like that who can hit and score - but the cost of signing them while UFA is often too great.

I see what you mean. Forwards like Smyth are hard to get on your team and get that value in the contract given, which is why theres a huge effort to continually try and draft them and develop them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smyth is not a power forward like any of the guys Tri listed, so you can't compare. He's fast, he's got good instincts in front of the net, a good shot, and he's fearless. He's not a reckless bang and crash player like Neely and Leclair. He has at least 3 more good seasons.

You're wrong, he's exactly like them, and he's been in front of the net for Edmonton's power play since I was 14 years old - and I'm willing to bet. Less than 110 goals in 5 seasons. We've been members of the same board for almost 8 years now.

coldply, Elias at 6 million is a bargain - his production has been off this year, but the season's not over and he's a streak scorer. The last year of the deal will look bad - the rest should be just fine.

I gained a bit of respect for the Isles today (as ridiculously overpriced as this deal was). I could have easily pictured them wussing out and trading Blake without doing something like this. A Devils-Isles #2-7 series might not be too much fun - unless you're not a fan of either team :lol:

Now that the Islanders have Smyth, do not want to see them in the playoffs. Islanders are riding high and had a wild game tonight with a win over the Flyers in overtime 6-5. Blake with the hat trick and he was interviewed on the ice after the game and said he was relieved and never wanted to leave the Islanders. Blake looks like he will resign with the Islanders. Good day for the Islanders and their players. Smyth has just made them a way better team now.

You're wrong, he's exactly like them, and he's been in front of the net for Edmonton's power play since I was 14 years old - and I'm willing to bet. Less than 110 goals in 5 seasons. We've been members of the same board for almost 8 years now.

coldply, Elias at 6 million is a bargain - his production has been off this year, but the season's not over and he's a streak scorer. The last year of the deal will look bad - the rest should be just fine.

Sorry Tri,

I cant agree on Elias. He is not a 6 million dollar player. He is not worth 6 million to the Devils. Lou panicked. I agree with it actually. Doesnt make it sensical or right. Which means I may not be sensical or right either, which would Fischleresque to say that of myself.

Sorry Tri,

I cant agree on Elias. He is not a 6 million dollar player. He is not worth 6 million to the Devils. Lou panicked. I agree with it actually. Doesnt make it sensical or right. Which means I may not be sensical or right either, which would Fischleresque to say that of myself.

Huh? He's the captain of a 2nd place team - and he's still at a point a game. You go look at the 5-6 million dollar players in the league and compare him - he also plays a terrific 2 way game. This hasn't been his best season, but the guy's been pretty damn good in the playoffs too.

He's without a doubt a 6 million dollar player - when he starts scoring again, you'll see.

Huh? He's the captain of a 2nd place team - and he's still at a point a game. You go look at the 5-6 million dollar players in the league and compare him - he also plays a terrific 2 way game. This hasn't been his best season, but the guy's been pretty damn good in the playoffs too.

He's without a doubt a 6 million dollar player - when he starts scoring again, you'll see.

I hope so.

But you dont pay Elias for what hed given you years prior.

Based on what Ive seen so far this year, I have plenty of reason to be concerned about salary and length of contract.

I hope so.

But you dont pay Elias for what hed given you years prior.

Based on what Ive seen so far this year, I have plenty of reason to be concerned about salary and length of contract.

Huh? Yes you do. That's what contracts are based on.

He's still at a point a game - and he hasn't been 'on' his game for long stretches of the season. Imagine when he gets like he was in last year's playoffs - and it will happen.

Wow, did Snow get taken for a ride by Kevin Lowe.

I think Montreal is going to stay in contention for the #7 and Carolina make knock the Isles out of the playoffs.

I think this was Mike Milbury (All Flash) like move giving away top prospects for a player who will last a few weeks.

Wow, did Snow get taken for a ride by Kevin Lowe.

I think Montreal is going to stay in contention for the #7 and Carolina make knock the Isles out of the playoffs.

I think this was Mike Milbury (All Flash) like move giving away top prospects for a player who will last a few weeks.

If the Fish get knocked out of the playoffs with all of the talent that they just stocked up on, Wang, Garth, and Ted should all three send in their resignations. They retainned Blake as well as picking up Smythe and Zehdnik.

They've got a LOT of talent now and they would make a VERY difficult out in the playoffs. If this team comes together as it's possible for them to do, look the hell out.

The Fish just became a VERY dangerous team. B )