New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i take the over on a month for this to resolve.

That's how a typical arbitration would work. What makes this interesting, however, is that there's no third party in place (which ordinarily would be the American Arbitration Association) that administers the selection of the arbitrator. Still, I'll take the under on what Tri proposed. I think we'll know no later by the end of next week.

I'm going under on a month for resolve but i don't think they'll have the arbitrator this week. i'll say next week.

I'm going under on a month for resolve but i don't think they'll have the arbitrator this week. i'll say next week.

i'd be rather surprised if they came up with a name they could settle on in 2 weeks. i said the NHL has incentive at getting this cleaned up, but what if they don't? what if they think that the longer this goes on, the less money kovalchuk can actually get once it does get resolved?

Maybe I'm optimistic, but I think an arbitrator will be picked this week, and a final judgment ruled by early next week (Monday or Tuesday). Bettman will have enormous pressure on him from the NHLPA, Devils, media, etc to accept an arbitrator quickly.

i'd be rather surprised if they came up with a name they could settle on in 2 weeks. i said the NHL has incentive at getting this cleaned up, but what if they don't? what if they think that the longer this goes on, the less money kovalchuk can actually get once it does get resolved?

NHL certainly has a lot of credibility to lose before the arbitrator if it's obvious they're dragging their feet. If worst comes to worst, the NHLPA could go to court to force the NHL to fish or cut bait by a firm deadline, or, if it really wanted to be bold, request that the court to rule the contract is valid as a remedy for the NHL's failure to arbitrate.

Puck Daddy says each side is submitting a list of three arbitrators. Not clear on how the aribtrator is eventually chosen from the list.

NHL certainly has a lot of credibility to lose before the arbitrator if it's obvious they're dragging their feet. If worst comes to worst, the NHLPA could go to court to force the NHL to fish or cut bait by a firm deadline, or, if it really wanted to be bold, request that the court to rule the contract is valid as a remedy for the NHL's failure to arbitrate.

Puck Daddy says each side is submitting a list of three arbitrators. Not clear on how the aribtrator is eventually chosen from the list.

i believe the phrase is 'worse comes to worst' (i'd heard it your way all my life too).

there appears to be no real procedure to electing the arbitrator so i think it will take a very long time. the NHL doesn't have very much credibility to lose, and it can certainly afford to eat up the whole summer if it so desires.

i believe the phrase is 'worse comes to worst' (i'd heard it your way all my life too).

there appears to be no real procedure to electing the arbitrator so i think it will take a very long time. the NHL doesn't have very much credibility to lose, and it can certainly afford to eat up the whole summer if it so desires.

Believe me, there are ways to get an arbitrator chosen quickly. There are ways, you don't want to know about it. I can get you an arbitrator by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with a law degree.

Edited by Daniel

I gotta agree that it's going to take a little while for an abitrator to be picked. The NHL has pressure from the PA to get moving but so what. They're not going to agree on an arbitrator that is questionable. They don't want to lose their case in 2 days. If the Devils lose they restructure with Kovy. If the NHL lose they lose face. This will be resolved mid-august.

The most important thing to observe about this expression is that, contrary to the common suggestion that it should refer to a deterioration in condition, this is not what it means. If (the) worst comes to (the) worst means 'if the very worst possible thing happens; if the worst really comes to exist'; it does not mean 'if an already bad thing becomes as bad as it can be', though this not implausible.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19980713

Lou nominates Doc!

See because Doc is fair - if anything he'd be partial against the Devils to ensure he's being impartial. But seriously are there ground rules to selecting an arbiter? Do they have to be certified? I liked that one skit that said it ought to be Colin Campbell because he always gets it right!

Interesting :) I can see it both ways, depending on whether you mean "let the foulest outcome happen to those wretched who deserve it" (worst to worst) or "should bad become unbearable" (worse to worst). Some of the references given from literature mean completely different things, and really aren't any more comparable than "I'll have a pear" and "I'll have a pair". Still, pretty interesting though in that both can be legitimate but really mean different things depending on where and how you use them.