NFL Week 2!!

CRASHER

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way CR, we will see you next Sunday night....without Lee Evans or Billy Cundif!!!

I mentioned that earlier...thought it was going to be a battle of 2-0 teams, and not 1-1s. Pretty important early season contest for both teams...a 1-2 start for either team is going to be disappointing.

Re: the replacement officials - Ike Taylor was called for a phantom pass interference in the Jets' game. The funny thing was, I bet they threw the flag out of reaction from Ryan Clark's hard-but-clean hit on Holmes, but to avoid embarrassment, they just gave Taylor the phantom pass interference call. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my theory anyway.

The crew in St. Louis was also awful with their handling of the Steven Jackson goal line fiasco.

I also heard the ending to Baltimore/Philly was hilarious with the crew taking 3+ minutes to rule that Vick threw an incomplete pass.... after initially ruling it a fumble and having to review it, despite the fact the play was right in front of one of the officials who couldn't even make a call.

The veteran officials are far from perfect themselves, but the league really needs them back. Another week or two like this is going to reflect poorly on the league.

Re: the replacement officials - Ike Taylor was called for a phantom pass interference in the Jets' game. The funny thing was, I bet they threw the flag out of reaction from Ryan Clark's hard-but-clean hit on Holmes, but to avoid embarrassment, they just gave Taylor the phantom pass interference call. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my theory anyway.

The crew in St. Louis was also awful with their handling of the Steven Jackson goal line fiasco.

I also heard the ending to Baltimore/Philly was hilarious with the crew taking 3+ minutes to rule that Vick threw an incomplete pass.... after initially ruling it a fumble and having to review it, despite the fact the play was right in front of one of the officials who couldn't even make a call.

The veteran officials are far from perfect themselves, but the league really needs them back. Another week or two like this is going to reflect poorly on the league.

Agreed, every week the replacement are still officiating games, is that much more of a chance of a major fiasco happening in one or more games...it's only a matter of time. Like we've all said, the veterans are hardly perfect and screw up a lot too (how quickly we forget), but they are the best at what they do, as we are seeing...the NFL should settle with the vets and be glad that the two weeks of replacements didn't go as badly as it could have. The NFL is too big to let this continue for much longer.

Not to mention the phantom Offensive pass interference which would have won the game for us.

The league NEEDS to bring back the real refs.

Agreed.

By the way, only two 2-0 teams left in the AFC (San Diego and Houston, with Denver having a shot to match that tonight).

The NFL HAS to bring back the real officials. This is a fvcking joke. I swear, I fvcking hate Roger Goodell. Almost as much as I hate Bettman.

The "REAL" officials ain't much better....and they're a greedy bunch of dickbags that make all the idiots in the NHL look sane....frak 'em all.... I'll deal with this re-learning process to get legit and FULL-TIME refs

Is Chris Johnson ever going to be able to run again?

The Titans could be the worst team in football right now....that doesn't help......

The "REAL" officials ain't much better....and they're a greedy bunch of dickbags that make all the idiots in the NHL look sane....frak 'em all.... I'll deal with this re-learning process to get legit and FULL-TIME refs

Are you kidding me?

The replacement officials have made the NFL unwatchable, which I thought would be a nigh impossible task. To me there is a huge difference in terms of delay's, understanding the rules and being quick enough in judgement and on field positioning. The replacement ref's look overwhelmed and intimidated at times.

As Steven Young said last night, "The NFL just doesn't care", so why should I? Aside from Nationally Televised Ravens games, I will just find something else to do on Sunday.

I heard earlier today LeSean McCoy tweeted that one of the officials said to him "C'mon McCoy, I need you today. I have you on my fantasy team". Between last night, the '4th Timeout', the Saints fan they had to take off officiating a Saints game, and this, its just beyond embarrassing now.

Also, there's no way the officials are the greedy ones. The league was planning to cut their pension by more than half; how is that fair? The league is a cash cow and they are hurting the integrity of the game by being cheap and silly.

Edited by nmigliore

'Relearning'? Most of these officials NEVER officiated NFL football in the first place! Or even Division I-A football (FBS/FCS/whatever it is now). This is way beyond relearning, especially when the league seems to have spent about as much time vetting these guys as I spend going to my mailbox to get the mail :P

Talk about greedy, the league makes how many billions of dollars? And the officials make pittance even compared to a backup long snapper.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I heard earlier today LeSean McCoy tweeted that one of the officials said to him "C'mon McCoy, I need you today. I have you on my fantasy team". Between last night, the '4th Timeout', the Saints fan they had to take off officiating a Saints game, and this, its just beyond embarrassing now.

I saw that a few minutes ago too, ridiculous. The league has no shame but all they care about is winning their lastest p*$$ing contest and not having the nuclear disaster happen (a bad call decide a game late). They've put in so many ridiculous fail-safes that weren't there under the regular refs that games take another half hour, and there's STILL nonsense calls or non-calls that wind up happening.

And if you want full-time refs, then freaking pay them like full-time refs.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And these officals are PART-TIME EMPLOYEES, the big bitch is they don't want to give up their other six-figure jobs.....WAH

Not to mention they're crying a river over the NFL wanting to hire MORE refs....again.... WAH

Like I said, I'd rather live through this purge the old tenured fossils out of the system and get people in there that do this FULL-TIME that work and learn from their mistakes mid-week...hell send 'em to practice with the teams even

Anyone remember Ed Hochuli?? The "real officials" fvck up just as badly too.....

It's like all the hockey folk just blindly blaming Bettman for another lockout....gotta look at the big picture here......

Anyone remember Ed Hochuli?? The "real officials" fvck up just as badly too.....

It's like all the hockey folk just blindly blaming Bettman for another lockout....gotta look at the big picture here......

Take away the off-field officials (which the regular refs don't have) and extra checks and balances they have for these replacement refs and we'll see if that's true. It's not even true now with all that, and extra delays.

Again, if you want them to be full-time employees pay them like full-time employees. Just because $75-100k a year is more than most people make in their jobs that means it's okay for a trillion-dollar industry to pay people who affect the game that much a comparative pittance. I guess by that standard players should take $500k a year and be happy with that since it's more than most people make. Or that people should be compelled to give up their jobs and want to be full-time if being a ref pays less than what other job they normally have.

You're also ignoring a big part of this is they want to take away the refs' pensions. Which again, would be about .00001 percent of the NFL's budget. I'm actually surprised you're so pro-league on this one since you hate Goodell, not to mention how much you rag on fans for getting on the refs in hockey.

I don't disagree the NFL refs should be held more accountable and it should be a full-time job but there also has to be some more financial incentive to be a full-time ref. If you want to nuke it fine...it's going to take YEARS, not weeks to get guys as good as the 'not so great' refs are now. And it's going to be even harder to find people that want to be refs if it's a full-time job paying less than other occupations, without benefits.

As far as Bettman, it's hard not to blame him when basically every big lockout in NHL history has happened under his tenure. I don't buy the whole 'puppet of the owners' crap when there's a fine of $1 million for any owner talking about the lockout. Or when he's the guy negotiating the deal, not Jeremy Jacobs.

Edited by NJDevs4978