US vs. Mexico, 9 PM EST

DevilFisch

...but it's MORE than a friendly! It's a friendly between RIVALS~!

Live on ESPN2 (and Univision), the United States Men's National Soccer Team will take on the Mexican Men's National Soccer Team in a friendly at Glendale, Arizona (home of the Loser-Cardinals).

The last time these two teams played, it was in a World Cup Qualifying stage back in September 3, 2005 wherein the US won 2-0. Mexico forward Jared Borghetti is still quaking in his boots after defender Oguchi Oneywu stared him down. However, that was in Columbus, Ohio in front of a legitimite home crowd. It's expected that the crowds will be just a little bit more supportive in Mexico's favor.

I couldn't find Mexico's 23-man roster, but here's America's 23-man roster from Soccernet.

If I were the manager, this is what I would throw out there:

GK: Howard

D: Bornstein-Conrad-Bocanegra-Albright

DM: Mastroeni

M: Convey-Donovan-Dempsey

F: Rolfe-Twellman

Eddie Johnson has not looked good at all, so he's on the bench and Rolfe gets a shot. I'm a little worried about Bornstein due to his inexperience, I wish Heath Pearce got the call for this one, but to no avail. I don't think Donovan sucks, but he'll need to lead and help feed Twellman and Rolfe up top. If Convey and Dempsey are fit, I think it'll be great seeing them bomb the wings against Mexico. I also hope Mastroeni does not get too agressive.

I hope the US wins, but if they don't it's OK. It's a friendly in February, not the Gold Cup in the summer.

GO USA!

Great win by the US! The first half was even with Mexico maybe a bit more aggressive, but the US came alive in the second half with strong defending and - this is key - actually making the most of their chances. Mexico had more chances to score, but blew it on all of them.

Man of the Match: Jimmy Conrad. I've heard from other MBs and other articles that Jay DeMerit should be there, that Bob Bradley should have pushed for Oguchi Oneywu to play, that perhaps Bobby Boswell to take that second CB slot. Well, Conrad was nearly perfect in his positioning, marking, and in clearances. He OWNED the air for headers. He was in the right spot for that corner kick and cooly took the header that put the US up 1-0 in the second half. Great job, Conrad!

Landon Donovan did very well as the game went on, as he decided to use his speed more often to be a threat. It paid off when Mexico poorly passed the ball off the ref, which was then picked up by an American to lead it towards a flying Donovan who out-ran the D, deked out the GK, and put it in to ice the game.

The defense for the US aside from Chris Albright was very solid. Despite a questionable yellow card, Jonathon Bornstein looked great. Carlos Bocanegra played like he does in Fulham - very good and little to complain about. Albright looked OK at the start, but Mexico started beating him on his side a lot; the sub for Joshua Gros was a good one in solidifying that side of the backline, Gros was alright.

Pablo Mastroeni and Ricardo Clark were good at getting back on defense to help out; Bobby Convey got more animated as the game went on, whereas Clint Dempsey was good but clearly sucking wind as the game went on and became less of a factor at the same time. The attack should have yielded more chances, it wasn't terribly threatning. But when Mexico made a mistake, the US either did capitalize or came close.

Chris Rolfe was a non-factor, Eddie Johnson at least had a long, hard shot to go with his standard nothingness/being offsides when he may possibly contribute. I wish Twellman was up top with Donovan, but hey what can you do.

Tim Howard was very strong in net, making the saves when needed and distributing the ball well.

The US had to be strong on defense, Mexico was threatning throughout the second half but the US either stymied them or they blew it themselves. The offense should have been better, but they did get two goals and the win. Something to work on.

Oh yeah, while the Mexican team did play quite well, they should be ashamed of themselves for not shaking hands with the US after the game. Poor sportsmanship in a "friendly." If hockey teams who battle each other to the limit in the playoffs and/or otherwise hate each other can shake hands after a playoff series, you can shake hands with the US team. Special raspberries to the Mexican GK Oswaldo Sanchez, who tried to trip up a non-factoring Eddie Johnson after the Donovan goal. Classless. I hope FIFA gets a copy of that on tape.

USA beats Mexico 2-0, GO USA!

Man, where were you during the World Cup?

I completely forgot to watch this game ans I am ticked off about that.

What else did you expect from those classless Mexicans? They stormed off the field in Korea, one player shaking a hand. They are the epitomy of sore LOSERS

Excellent second half. Mexico really poored on the pressure after that USA goal. I was actually able to stomach watching until the end of the game.

That Conrad was VERY impressive on D. Let alone scoring the game winner. The dude seemed to always be in the way of a Mexican shooter that is if Albright wasn't there.

USA was lucky to win that game - Mexico should have buried at least 3 in the second half. I complete agree with the assesment from the guys' last night concerning the coaching of the USA team. They looked confused, unsure and sloppy, and US Soccer should either sh!t or get off the pot and decide who they want to coach the team and which direction they want to go on.

The matter of unsportsmanship is ridiculus, would they shake hands if they won? what exactly are they mad at ? our immigration policy? that they forgot to yell Osama Bin Laden last night in the stands? the fact they reap millions when their league plays game on our soil ? FIFA should step in and tell them to grow up and act like men.

USA was lucky to win that game - Mexico should have buried at least 3 in the second half. I complete agree with the assesment from the guys' last night concerning the coaching of the USA team. They looked confused, unsure and sloppy, and US Soccer should either sh!t or get off the pot and decide who they want to coach the team and which direction they want to go on.

The matter of unsportsmanship is ridiculus, would they shake hands if they won? what exactly are they mad at ? our immigration policy? that they forgot to yell Osama Bin Laden last night in the stands? the fact they reap millions when their league plays game on our soil ? FIFA should step in and tell them to grow up and act like men.

Well, the US team wasn't THAT bad. They stopped a lot of Mexico's chances via their defense and despite all the nice looking passes Mexico had (from the left midfield, coughALBRIGHTcough), Mexico only had one really tough shot that Howard saved. While Mexico created more, the US actually made the most of their chances; which proved to be the difference. That said, the USSF really needs to either drop Bradley's interim tag or get someone new.

As far as Mexico's lack of sportsmanship goes, it's all because of their myopic arrogance - nothing to do with the issues of the day. Mexican news articles before the game had players talking about how "they need to beat the US," how Mexico is the better team, etc. The national team as well as it's fans feel they are superior to the US; yet they have not even scored a goal much less beat the US in 7 years in America. A lot of post-game reaction on Mexico's end seemed to be in the key of "well, America just bunkered, we had more chances, they were lucky to win, blah blah blah" but other commentators rightly pointed out that while Mexico had a virtual home game (the crowds were very much pro-Mexico) and an easily-described "A" squad with all of their players in season form; the US team still beat them without many of their best players. If that's the case, how can anyone argue that Mexico is truly better than the US. The loss really crushed Mexico, as it should. They had opportunities and either the US defense thwarted them or they botched it themselves.

That's the impression I got from reading articles online and a few reactions at that veritable forum of over-reaction, BigSoccer.

In any case, I don't think FIFA will do anything to Oswaldo Sanchez (that asswipe) or to the Mexican team. There's a difference between promoting fair play and sportsmaship and actually enforcing it.