DevilsRule Posters Potshotting Our Boys

Jimmy Leeds

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go there for laughs. They not only hate every other message board devoted to the Devils, they hate each other. At this point, nj.com provides more hockey knowledge. I'd say the average age there is 15 and that site has been fading away for quite some time now. If there are more than two active threads in a day there, it's a busy day.

I couldn't resist. I created an account and posted:

njdevil26

Post Re: Devils tribute on MSG

I just created an account and wanted to post to tell you that you guys don't have to be d!cks. I apologize that you didn't approve of the story I told. I was 13 years old and am 21 now and have been an absolute diehard Devils fan my entire life and I saw this as a fun opportunity to get on tv doing something I love. So sorry my story sucked. Go complain to MSG for using me if you're that pissed.

And yeah, the reason I'm not getting crap from the guys on the other site is because they are actually supportive over there and are happy that our board was well represented on the program.

Edit: and to add, my interview was about a half hour long and I talked about being at game 5 and being at the games in the Flyers series and all of the specifics about them and also talked about the Sykora hit and how crushing that was at great length and how great it was that they won it for him... and how the play unfolded etc.... not my fault they chose to air what they did... calm down.

I haven't seen the program but I'm sure people are making a much bigger fuss your story njdevil26 then it deserves. I was interviewed by MTV for about 2 hours for my Scarred segment that was about 5 minutes or so long, and they edited a lot of my interview in ways that I wasn't too thrilled about, its just the nature of the business. Hell, they even edited two different sentences I had at one point and made them into one sentence which I thought was lame. Overall I was happy to be on the show and it was a good experience (I even got to talk to Wee-man eventually on tv), but I felt like they edited out a lot of good stuff and kept content that wasn't good in its place so I know how you feel.

I'm sure all 3 Devil fans on the show are die hards and did a fine job. There's no need to fight over this.

I go there for laughs. They not only hate every other message board devoted to the Devils, they hate each other. At this point, nj.com provides more hockey knowledge. I'd say the average age there is 15 and that site has been fading away for quite some time now. If there are more than two active threads in a day there, it's a busy day.

Nah, we just hate HFBoards (Or at least I do since they don't allow free speech). I don't ever recall reading anything there (DR.com) derogatory towards this site. We're pretty cool with you guys from what I know, but I think that post started because some felt that MSG showed a younger fan with a somewhat "immature" story that somehow portrayed a negative light on our fanbase. I'm sure a lot of us would've said something similar being so young back then (I was 12). Big misunderstanding if you ask me.

We do argue with a$$holes when they show up, but it's how we run things over there. If you don't like how we do things, that's perfectly fine with me.

Edited by CaptainLangs

Nah, we just hate HFBoards (Or at least I do since they don't allow free speech). I don't ever recall reading anything there derogatory towards this site. We're pretty cool with you guys from what I know, but I think that post started because some felt that that MSG showed a younger fan that somehow portrayed a negative light on our fanbase. Big misunderstanding if you ask me.

We do argue with a$$holes when they show up, but it's how we run things over there. If you don't like how we do things, that's perfectly fine with me.

Like I'm saying on both boards. The program was set up like complete sabotage anyway... ANOTHER celebration of the 1994 Rangers then us at the end and me being suckered into questions and having the answers used for the actual show due to some negative editing. I wish they showed what I said about being at game 5, Sykora, all I was saying about how bad overtime was for the Devils recently and things.

I'm very close with my family and wasn't thinking twice about the show until people have said stuff about it. I mean jesus I was 13 years old... did people expect me to be watching the game at the bar or had I just come from a strip club to catch overtime or something? christ.

And YES, HFBoards sucks. There are like 200000 moderators over there that can post anywhere and every thread turns into absolute team bashing and it's troll city.

but I think that post started because some felt that MSG showed a younger fan with a somewhat "immature" story that somehow portrayed a negative light on our fanbase. I'm sure a lot of us would've said something similar being so young back then (I was 12). Big misunderstanding if you ask me.

Why would people be pissed that it was a "younger" fan on the MSG channel? In my opinion, the Devils are still a relatively young team, and people around my age (23) have really grown up with the team and therefore are some of the biggest most diehard fans out there. Don't get me wrong, that's not to say people that are older aren't equally as passionate about the team. My dad who is in his 50s is a huge Devils fan obviously, but before the Devils game to NJ, he did watch Rangers games since he loved hockey and that was the closest team to NJ. I think a large part of why you become a fan of a certain team has to do with your family and who they root for. I didn't have a choice in the matter as after I was born I was bought Devils apparel etc. and that was that. Haha. I think as people in my age group grow older and have children our fan base will only grow. That's why it irritates me when people get cranky about how small our fan base is. A lot of my friends who are Rangers fans are Rangers fans because they're parents are and that's who they've grown up rooting for. If my dad never made the switch to Devils fan (though it wasn't like he was a hardcore Rangers fan or anything) I might be a Rangers fan myself. Thank god I'm not. ;)

People won't like me saying this.. but I was almost a Rangers fan.... the Devils had pissy marketing and you'd have to PAY to watch their games up until recently. My parents couldn't care less about hockey and weren't going to pay monthly for me to watch one team when I had the Rangers for free. They were the only games I could watch when I was younger... thank God my cousins who had season tickets and sportschannel explained to me which team I should root for. I mean I was watching Ranger games for the first year or two of my hockey watching days.

So yeah the Devils have a young fanbase... good in some ways, bad in others. I don't think it's anything to b!tch over. I feel good that I'm 21 years old and I've witnessed three cups while Ranger fans can be in their 60's and saw one.

People won't like me saying this.. but I was almost a Rangers fan.... the Devils had pissy marketing and you'd have to PAY to watch their games up until recently. My parents couldn't care less about hockey and weren't going to pay monthly for me to watch one team when I had the Rangers for free. They were the only games I could watch when I was younger... thank God my cousins who had season tickets and sportschannel explained to me which team I should root for. I mean I was watching Ranger games for the first year or two of my hockey watching days.

So yeah the Devils have a young fanbase... good in some ways, bad in others. I don't think it's anything to b!tch over. I feel good that I'm 21 years old and I've witnessed three cups while Ranger fans can be in their 60's and saw one.

Haha, well, hockey doesn't even exist where I live. I know a few Canes fans, but when a close friend of mine introduced me to the sport a couple of years ago, I was hooked. The only teams I heard of at the time were the Canes, Rangers, Red Wings, Leafs, and Devils. From out of nowhere I started following the Devils, not knowing how good they were, and have been supporting them ever since. I'm weird like that, I'm a Niner fan as well, just because I started pulling for them during the Steve Young era when I started watching football.

A good chunk of the Devils fanbase are/were younger generations. Within a few years the fanbase should start booming.

Edited by CaptainLangs

Haha, well, hockey doesn't even exist where I live. I know a few Canes fans, but when a close friend of mine introduced me to the sport a couple of years ago, I was hooked. The only teams I heard of at the time were the Canes, Rangers, Red Wings, Leafs, and Devils. From out of nowhere I started following the Devils, not knowing how good they were, and have been supporting them ever since. I'm weird like that, I'm a Niner fan as well, just because I started pulling for them during the Steve Young era when I started watching football.

A good chunk of the Devils fanbase are/were younger generations. Within a few years the fanbase should start booming.

The success the Devils have had since 95 has been a helper. I HATED going into the CAA on Saturdays to hear the little kids chant "Let's Go Devils" but then I'd remind myself that in years to come we will have a great fanbase of all ages... And at the Rock I have seen huge crowds off college kids and people into their mid and late twenties and it makes the games that much better.

I taped the show and finally watched it. Skipped the Rangers nonsense and watched the Islanders and Devils segments. I actually thought it was pretty well done. I'm sure everyone got a lot of stuff cut out. Could you imagine how much Chico stuff got cut?!?! Apparently the one guy not wearing Devils gear was actually IN Dallas for the game and they totally cut all that out! Now if I were him, I'd be royally pissed. As for njdevil26's story, I thought it was pretty cool actually. How awesome does his dad look for sneaking him down to watch the rest of the game on a little TV? That's an amazing memory and a great story.

I remember back in 86 I was in the fourth grade and faced the same fate and was forced to go to bed during the Mets World Series games. I'll never forget going to bed with the Mets down 3-0 in game 7 and then waking up in the morning and having my dad tell me they won. I was ecstatic and upset at the same time, because they were the Champions but I didn't get to see it.

Link

The Junior Varsity forum board taking shots at our TV stars. Called them "not real fans". They're acting like Ranger fans over there.

The reason I left over 3 years ago. Most posters are immature the only person I really liked was the owner Bill.

Edited by Elias26

The success the Devils have had since 95 has been a helper. I HATED going into the CAA on Saturdays to hear the little kids chant "Let's Go Devils" but then I'd remind myself that in years to come we will have a great fanbase of all ages... And at the Rock I have seen huge crowds off college kids and people into their mid and late twenties and it makes the games that much better.

Don't worry bro, you were really awesome during the entire thing, it was similar to my story of when the Devils won the cup, I was 12 and my mom kept yelling at me to go to sleep and I snuck downstairs with the volume muted just to watch the end of the game. I found myself smiling at all the details that paralleled my account, I was really exuberant with how you just explained it, it was really excellent!

Edited by SteveStevens

Apparently the one guy not wearing Devils gear was actually IN Dallas for the game and they totally cut all that out! Now if I were him, I'd be royally pissed.

Yeah when it was originally proposed I thought it was supposed to be a story with Devils fans actually in the stands for the Dallas game but I guess they couldn't find enough of them willing to do an interview.

Then again I don't think all the Isles fans they interviewed were in the stands either, guess they just wanted a cross-section of people who were there and not.

Edited by Hasan4978

Heck, I was in my living room alone with a 1 year old sleeping upstairs.

I was listening to the radio call and watching the game, it was synced right on.

When Arnott scored I let out a whoop and hit the floor. Mrs. Leeds yelled down to shut up! And this was the woman that rooted hard for the Devs and went to the '95 SCF with me before she had any little Leeds'

Funny what kids do to a woman!

Heck, I was in my living room alone with a 1 year old sleeping upstairs.

I was listening to the radio call and watching the game, it was synced right on.

When Arnott scored I let out a whoop and hit the floor. Mrs. Leeds yelled down to shut up! And this was the woman that rooted hard for the Devs and went to the '95 SCF with me before she had any little Leeds'

Funny what kids do to a woman!

Hee... I was watching the game in bed while the mrs was sleeping I was wearing headphones and when Arnott scored I jumped out of bed and started carrying on... I got the same Leeds treatment (I also was present in 95 with her in 231) to not wake my daughter... women !

Awe.. I don't want in-fighting with Devils fans - there's for sure room for both boards - there's no better or worse is there? :saddevil:

:noclue: If you want to fight and stuff be honest and say this is great fun - it's AWESOME they slammed you guys and you really enjoy duking it out with them - it's what hockey is all about. I mean - to have a thread like this and try to take the moral high ground at the same time is a joke. Just in case you needed a dog to tell you so.

Awe.. I don't want in-fighting with Devils fans - there's for sure room for both boards - there's no better or worse is there? :saddevil:

:noclue: If you want to fight and stuff be honest and say this is great fun - it's AWESOME they slammed you guys and you really enjoy duking it out with them - it's what hockey is all about. I mean - to have a thread like this and try to take the moral high ground at the same time is a joke. Just in case you needed a dog to tell you so.

ahhhh one ball sanity...

but... oops - I hadn't realized we had all lulled into reminiscing and stuff ... leave it the dog to stir things up again by accident... ahhh wooof...

and it's not even one nut... :( just an empty sack now... but my sack never shrank to nothing - you can take the stuffing out but they won't go away completely!

Notice they didn't air what I was doing when the cup was won... I have a kids and a wife watching and I guess that was too "Ranger Like" for them to let people see. The more I think of what they included and did not, they were trying to take some shots at Devils fans.

For those of you who have heard me on the radio know I can speak about the game of hockey. They included almost none of my analysis.

Team rivalry forum wars are funny, but taking on a fellow Devils forum is silly. Besides DR.com is one of the oldies like we are. I think DR26 handled himself well over there.

I agree with Msweet, I hate that we are tied to a Rangers run media channel. The Devils will never be afforded the same respect nor will the fans.