Leagues realignment plan now official. Begins next season.

DevilMinder

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhlpa-signs-off-realignment-evaluate-2014-15-season-225920086--nhl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter 

On Thursday, the NHLPA signed off on realignment, with one caveat.

Via Donald Fehr, executive director of the NHLPA:

“After discussions with the Executive Board, the NHLPA

has given consent to realignment, to be re-evaluated following the

2014-15 season.”

“Eastern Side”

Conference 1

Carolina

Columbus

New Jersey

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nhl/story/_/id/9029028/nhlpa-consents-realignment-plan

Edited by msweet
added readable link

So since only four from each conference will make the playoffs, isn't this kinda a disadvantage for teams who play in an eight team conference than those who play in one with seven teams?

Yeah - my guess is that the Western teams bitched about more travel and this is their carrot to them.

I can not NOT see why the NHL wants Detroit and Chicago in different divisions 

Detroit wants to be in the East, has been for years, and would gladly trade their rivalry with Chicago for that.  They have a lot of games that start at 9 or 10 or even later because they play the Pacific and Mountain conferences 2 games each.

Edited by Triumph

So since only four from each conference will make the playoffs, isn't this kinda a disadvantage for teams who play in an eight team conference than those who play in one with seven teams?

They were working on a wild card solution for the teams in eight-team divisions.  What that entails hasn't leaked yet :P

It's not hard to figure out.    Since they won't do crossovers in the first round, but for some reason will in the semifinals...

The "Eastern" divisions (I refuse to say conferences) will be 1-5 making the playoffs, 4-5 play each other in a  1 or 3 game series.

Western divisions just go 1-4 without a first round.

I just detest this whole thing.    Forcing rivalry series with 8 team pods just means you'll miss the rivalries anyway most of the time, and I can't stand that the playoff system is far less "open" than it is now.

What a surprise, the revised plan sucks too. This fvcking league needs to stop trying to re-invent the wheel all the damn time. Switch Winnipeg and Columbus and be fvcking done with it. But nooooooo, it's the NHL. If it 'aint broke, fix it anyway. And make it worse. It should be the league's motto.

• Like 1

on the one hand, we'll probably get a lot of NJ/NYR and Pit/PHI but it won't be as deep in the playoffs so not as meaningful. I dunno I wasn't around for the old conferences/divisions so I'm not familiar enough w/ it to say how good it is 

on the one hand, we'll probably get a lot of NJ/NYR and Pit/PHI but it won't be as deep in the playoffs so not as meaningful. I dunno I wasn't around for the old conferences/divisions so I'm not familiar enough w/ it to say how good it is 

Not necessarily, because Carolina and Washington will be around to foul things up and the Isles have to make the playoffs eventually.    This ain't the 80's where 4 out of 5 get in, locking in the matchups they "want".    4 out of 8 and you'll see the same kind of random "crap" they're trying to avoid.

Not necessarily, because Carolina and Washington will be around to foul things up and the Isles have to make the playoffs eventually.    This ain't the 80's where 4 out of 5 get in, locking in the matchups they "want".    4 out of 8 and you'll see the same kind of random "crap" they're trying to avoid.

And no Detroit-Chicago 'ever' unless they get lucky and hit the jackpot with a SCF meeting.  Among other things.

Like MadDog said, they always create two new problems while fixing one old one.

I just hate it, because it's basically being done for the benefit of 3 or 4 teams, tops.    Maybe add in Tampa and Florida as they sell their souls for a little extra gate,  in a division they have no hope of competing in financially.

It also cuts off their expansion/relocation options.   What happens if the Coyotes bomb out and Toronto 2 and QC are the only two buyers that step up?  Whoops.   I'd love to see a Markham/QC team have to play all of their road division games on the west coast.

I absolutely hate this new plan. While it makes sense for Detroit to go East, it sucks to break them up with Chicago. I also don't like the idea of the 8 team conferences having to play a wild card (probably 1 or 3 game series) round that teams out West won't be subjected to. Having to play extra playoff games means more wear and tear and likelihood of injury. I hope this gets rejected.

I just hate it, because it's basically being done for the benefit of 3 or 4 teams, tops.    Maybe add in Tampa and Florida as they sell their souls for a little extra gate,  in a division they have no hope of competing in financially.

It also cuts off their expansion/relocation options.   What happens if the Coyotes bomb out and Toronto 2 and QC are the only two buyers that step up?  Whoops.   I'd love to see a Markham/QC team have to play all of their road division games on the west coast.

Phoenix is the elephant in the room. They're moving before next season, there's little doubt about that. If it's Seattle, then it's not a big deal obviously. But you're right Has, what if it's Quebec? They had to have thought of this and put some kind of contingency in place. But then again, it being the NHL, they probably didn't. I just can't stand the people that run this league, they're so fvcking short-sighted most of the time. They're gonna take a great playoff format that the fans love and sh!t all over it. Par for the course for these fvcking dipsh!ts.

Until they have an even amount of teams to make geography make sense, they should do Columnus and Winepeg swap w/ a promise to Detroit that they are 2-4 years away from coming East.

This whole thing is about Detroit.

While not quite Apples to Apples, think about Atlanta that was once in the NL West and the NFC West once upon a time.

Don't ruin the entire league to appease Detroit.

Until they have an even amount of teams to make geography make sense, they should do Columnus and Winepeg swap w/ a promise to Detroit that they are 2-4 years away from coming East.

This whole thing is about Detroit.

While not quite Apples to Apples, think about Atlanta that was once in the NL West and the NFC West once upon a time.

Don't ruin the entire league to appease Detroit.

It "helps" Columbus as travel costs go, I guess.   Definitely helps Minnesota.   It's not all for Detriot but it feels like this is all the work of their whining.

It feels like Western Conference whining in general.

Re:  matchups - Clearly this is taking the long view.  The idea being that these rivalries will fester over the next 10-15 years.  If they're doing a home and away for every team, which all indications are that they are (and this I loathe, I hate the NBA schedule), I imagine the rest of the schedule is in the division.  So that's 38 games in the division split among 7 teams - the hatreds are supposed to build from there.

Re:  matchups - Clearly this is taking the long view.  The idea being that these rivalries will fester over the next 10-15 years.  If they're doing a home and away for every team, which all indications are that they are (and this I loathe, I hate the NBA schedule), I imagine the rest of the schedule is in the division.  So that's 38 games in the division split among 7 teams - the hatreds are supposed to build from there.

That's the other laughable part.  Ostensibly they're doing this to cut travel but they only increase it for everyone with extra long trips in the regular season outside the division since you're no longer limiting the road trips out East/West.  Not to mention Florida and Tampa Bay being stuck going way north every road trip in the division.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Oh no, not that again, that reminds me of 07-08 and the 900 games against divisional rivals.    Then again, I'm watching the Flames play the Wild for what feels like the 900th time this season.

I really don't need 7 games against the Blue Jackets.    This could be the death of them, they have one natural rival in the division and that will be onesided to say the least.   And it's not really a sports rivalry because Pitt is a Big East/ACC school.   That and no other fanbase than that one is going to bother heading out there.

Oh no, not that again, that reminds me of 07-08 and the 900 games against divisional rivals.    Then again, I'm watching the Flames play the Wild for what feels like the 900th time this season.

I really don't need 7 games against the Blue Jackets.    This could be the death of them, they have one natural rival in the division and that will be onesided to say the least.   And it's not really a sports rivalry because Pitt is a Big East/ACC school.   That and no other fanbase than that one is going to bother heading out there.

I don't think you did the math right.  Teams would be playing between 5 and 6 games against their divisional foes.

It's not hard to figure out.    Since they won't do crossovers in the first round, but for some reason will in the semifinals...

The "Eastern" divisions (I refuse to say conferences) will be 1-5 making the playoffs, 4-5 play each other in a  1 or 3 game series.

Western divisions just go 1-4 without a first round.

I just detest this whole thing.    Forcing rivalry series with 8 team pods just means you'll miss the rivalries anyway most of the time, and I can't stand that the playoff system is far less "open" than it is now.

This plan is dumber than the original. Not surprising since its coming from the NHL.