Leagues realignment plan now official. Begins next season.

DevilMinder

I need clarification on one thing, that being playoff seeding: since 8 teams in each conference still make the playoffs, are the teams still going to be seeded 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5? I'm taking it it will not be strictly divisional playoffs in the first 2 rounds now that they implemented these wild cards, correct?

What i hate about it is more with the playoffs thing, wtv who were playing and how often.

but i hate how the top 3 of each division automatically make the playoffs... some of those could simply be there not cause they really made their way there but cause other teams has been terrible and by default they were the 3rd best one out of the bunch

I need clarification on one thing, that being playoff seeding: since 8 teams in each conference still make the playoffs, are the teams still going to be seeded 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5? I'm taking it it will not be strictly divisional playoffs in the first 2 rounds now that they implemented these wild cards, correct?

From espn...

http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=8991414&src=desktop

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

From espn...http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=8991414&src=desktop

The new plan calls for divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs as the NHL currently has. The division winner with the most regular-season points will play the lowest-seeded wild-card team in the first round, with the other division winner playing the other wild-card team.

So the division winner with the most points plays the wild card with the least points, while the other division winner plays the other wild card... Meaning the other two series are straight divisional then? That's the way it sounds. Edited by MadDog2020

Like trying to kill a mouse with a hydrogen bomb.

Please don't.

• Like 1

Still can't believe Columbus has an NHL team.

I can. They have more money than Cleveland, and Ohio is a pretty good hockey state, especially at the amateur level. If the product on the ice wasn't such a joke, I think they'd be selling a ton of tickets, but they never won casual fans over, or played well enough to get the Pens and Wings fans to care about the locals. That said, if they put a good product together (like when the Devils hired Lou), they'll start getting the kids to come out, and they could be big time in 20 years or so.

Math Question:
You have 30 teams that need to be divided into 2 conferences. How many teams go in each conference?

My kids would get an F in math if they answered 14 and 16. This is such an obvious BS. In one conference you have a 50% chance of making the playoffs, in the other over 57%.

The NHL need to have the conjoins to tell the Redwings that they are not one of the 15 most eastern teams and therefore do not belong in the eastern conference.

And divisional playoffs where you can play teams that are not in your division? You can’t keep the cake and eat it too.

Edited by eaglejelly

I don't get them sticking to division playoffs if five teams from one division can make it.  So someone like Carolina can finish fifth in our division, yet win another division's 'title'?

Yep. It's pretty dumb. I hope they don't actually give out titles or banners for any playoff success because it would obviously create some asterisk marks in the records.

Math Question:

You have 30 teams that need to be divided into 2 conferences. How many teams go in each conference?

My kids would get an F in math if they answered 14 and 16. This is such an obvious BS. In one conference you have a 50% chance of making the playoffs, in the other over 57%.

The NHL need to have the conjoins to tell the Redwings that they are not one of the 15 most eastern teams and therefore do not belong in the eastern conference.

And divisional playoffs where you can play teams that are not in your division? You can’t keep the cake and eat it too.

I think they are setting up for expansion, Seattle and KC would fit right in easily under this plan to help balance the equation. The 14/16 thing doesn't really bother me, the Southeast has so many terrible teams that it's not likely going to matter and the wildcard does to some extent mitigate the problem. However the wildcard is so terrible and they should abolish it and just deal with the fall out from uneven conferences.

Math Question:You have 30 teams that need to be divided into 2 conferences. How many teams go in each conference?My kids would get an F in math if they answered 14 and 16. This is such an obvious BS. In one conference you have a 50% chance of making the playoffs, in the other over 57%.The NHL need to have the conjoins to tell the Redwings that they are not one of the 15 most eastern teams and therefore do not belong in the eastern conference.And divisional playoffs where you can play teams that are not in your division? You can’t keep the cake and eat it too.I think they are setting up for expansion, Seattle and KC would fit right in easily under this plan to help balance the equation. The 14/16 thing doesn't really bother me, the Southeast has so many terrible teams that it's not likely going to matter and the wildcard does to some extent mitigate the problem. However the wildcard is so terrible and they should abolish it and just deal with the fall out from uneven conferences.

What about Quebec City? It's now set up so that you can't put a team in QC without moving Detroit or Columbus BACK to the west. Maybe that's one of the reasons they agreed to two years.

Math Question:

Eh, there's always gonna be some unfairness. The western teams travel more, so they have a tougher season. The southeast is currently terrible, and division 2 is therefore weaker than the rest, but that could change. I don't love the plan, but 14 16 isn't the biggest disaster, and if they are indeed planning expansion, it could look good in a couple of years.

Eh, there's always gonna be some unfairness. The western teams travel more, so they have a tougher season. The southeast is currently terrible, and division 2 is therefore weaker than the rest, but that could change. I don't love the plan, but 14 16 isn't the biggest disaster, and if they are indeed planning expansion, it could look good in a couple of years.

Also, Being the best team in the "west" divisions doesn't mean you get a spot in the Cup Finals, it just says you have a spot in the final 4.

The Cup could be Devils-Canadiens, hypothetically speaking.

What about Quebec City? It's now set up so that you can't put a team in QC without moving Detroit or Columbus BACK to the west. Maybe that's one of the reasons they agreed to two years.

I think QC or a another Toronto-area franchise is viable, but they approved this plan which as you note isn't as flexible for it. I doubt they would throw Columbus (it won't be Detroit) back into the west to accommodate another eastern team but I guess it's possible, or maybe some other weird alignment plan. 3 conferences go go!

Also, Being the best team in the "west" divisions doesn't mean you get a spot in the Cup Finals, it just says you have a spot in the final 4.

The Cup could be Devils-Canadiens, hypothetically speaking.

Hrm, I'm not so sure that's been fully revealed yet. Do you a source about the layout that suggests the final 4 are re-seeded?

Hrm, I'm not so sure that's been fully revealed yet. Do you a source about the layout that suggests the final 4 are re-seeded?

I believe Dreger said it last week when this initially broke. His example, if I'm not mistaken, was Boston-Rangers.

Could definitely be wrong though.

I believe Dreger said it last week when this initially broke. His example, if I'm not mistaken, was Boston-Rangers.

Could definitely be wrong though.

Ah, that actually sounds kinda cool. This playoff structure is going to seem so weird to non-hockey fans, "It's divisional playoffs where sometimes a team from Div B plays against Div A but not Div C and D, but only for 2 rounds".

Ah, that actually sounds kinda cool. This playoff structure is going to seem so weird to non-hockey fans, "It's divisional playoffs where sometimes a team from Div B plays against Div A but not Div C and D, but only for 2 rounds".

It'll be super awesome when all the friends of mine I converted into NHL fans during the playoffs last year are baffled next year. I can see the thousands of questions now. Wait, I don't get it. How did this team end up playing this person but they were in this division and even though they had less points than someone who didn't make it, they're still in the playoffs and have won a division they're not in? Because. Make sense?

Edited by ATLL765

If they go with this plan for the playoffs, it will be almost as ridiculous as the MLS playoff system was a few years ago when the Red Bulls won the WESTERN conference championship before losing the MLS Cup.  I'm fine with the conference realignment, but hate the proposed playoff system and wildcards idea that was reported a week or 2 ago.

If they go with this plan for the playoffs, it will be almost as ridiculous as the MLS playoff system was a few years ago when the Red Bulls won the WESTERN conference championship before losing the MLS Cup.  I'm fine with the conference realignment, but hate the proposed playoff system and wildcards idea that was reported a week or 2 ago.

I agree wild cards are dumb, but I wouldn't have a problem with re-seeding divisional winners. Just don't think of it as a conference championship, if they ever remove wildcards then the term conference doesn't need to be applied at all. They only need it now to distinguish which divisional winners play which wildcards.

If they go with this plan for the playoffs, it will be almost as ridiculous as the MLS playoff system was a few years ago when the Red Bulls won the WESTERN conference championship before losing the MLS Cup. I'm fine with the conference realignment, but hate the proposed playoff system and wildcards idea that was reported a week or 2 ago.

Its amazing isn't it? The MLS finally got their playoff system figured out last year and now the NHL goes and screws up theirs.

I'm so sick of the NHL changing sh!t. Does any other league really make as many major changes as the NHL? Its a joke.

The Red Wings can go to hell. Theyve always been a Western team and have always had great success and fan support. To throw the rest of the league into the toilet just so they can be in the Eastern Conference is ridiculous

I agree. This whole dumb realignment was only done to appease their whining. Also by having this and saving them money for travel, they also threw Florida and Tampa under the bus.

I agree. This whole dumb realignment was only done to appease their whining. Also by having this and saving them money for travel, they also threw Florida and Tampa under the bus.

Exactly.  The NHL bends over backwards for the Original 6, plus the Flyers and Pens (as long as they have Crosby), almost to the total disregard and detriment of the rest of the league. 

Like Satan said, the MLS figured out a year or 2 ago that this type of system is confusing to the casual fan and were smart enough to get rid of it and go with a traditional alignment.  It seems like the NHL does everything it can to be a$$ backwards.