2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

Weird that Stepan broke his leg in a non-contact drill where he wasn't touched. At best he's probably out 4-6 weeks.

very true... Word is that he blocked a shot earlier in the week. I guess it's possible he had a hairline fracture that didn't cause him pain until he tried to put the bone to use and it snapped.

But yeah I'd imagine 6 weeks is the best case scenario, more likely 8ish.

Hate to see young promising players get injured before the season even starts. If that happened to henrique it would just suck a lot of the life out of my excitement for the season...believe me I want the rags to lose every one of their games but Id like them to do it with their full complement of players.

The division looked like hot garbage before the injuries even... Only Columbus seems noticeably improved, and the Devils too. 

Columbus also has Johansen's holdout to deal with.

But I wouldn't exactly be crowing about other teams' injuries just yet, we'll be beyond lucky if we don't have major injury issues with our age up front.

I couldn't remember if there was a thread about the series replacing 24/7, but I recently read an article (http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=731499) that clarified how they were going to provide access to all NHL fans, as they promised they were going to do.

Basically they will be making every episode available to be viewed on both EPIX's mobile app, as well as the NHL mobile app.

This is a good way of going about it as I had no idea EPIX existed until the NHL announced that they would be moving their all access series to the network.

Edited by ATLL765

I like EPIX, have newer movies just like HBO and Showtime. They get some big boxing matches on their network sometimes as well. If you have All those premium channels and can't find something to watch, check EPIX before Encore, they're better. Good for the NHL and EPIX!

I couldn't remember if there was a thread about the series replacing 24/7, but I recently read an article (http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=731499) that clarified how they were going to provide access to all NHL fans, as they promised they were going to do.

Basically they will be making every episode available to be viewed on both EPIX's mobile app, as well as the NHL mobile app.

This is a good way of going about it as I had no idea EPIX existed until the NHL announced that they would be moving their all access series to the network.

• 2 weeks later...

@DarrenDreger: Jets announce trade: Peter Budaj and forward Patrick Holland from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Eric Tangradi.This clears the way for Tokarski to be the back-up now.

interesting, Budaj probably has a chance to at least split the starts in Winnipeg.

@DarrenDreger: Jets announce trade: Peter Budaj and forward Patrick Holland from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for forward Eric Tangradi.

This clears the way for Tokarski to be the back-up now.

Now that the Brodeur in MTL rumours finally stopped.... here we go again

Carolina is screwed if he's out for a significant amount of time. They were bad to begin with. With both J. Staal and Skinner out they might just be the worst team in the league.

Hopefully they wont be THAT bad, i dont want McDavid landing in our division... Even out west would be great

even before this, i expected carolina to be one of the worst teams in the league. now - i really think they'll be battling it out for the top slot in the lottery

I hate to make predictions, but I think it's a fair assessment to say they will be near the bottom.

Hopefully they wont be THAT bad, i dont want McDavid landing in our division... Even out west would be great

I don't want him in our division either, but there's a serious chance that Carolina will be incredibly bad this year if Skinner is out long term and J. Staal doesn't hit the ground running when he comes back and that he also comes back on schedule or sooner. Same thing with Skinner, if he struggles when he gets back, it's going to be rough in Raleigh. If both of them are out longer than expected and both struggle upon returning, which I think there's a good chance that could happen, they are the team to beat in the race to the bottom.

I don't want him in our division either, but there's a serious chance that Carolina will be incredibly bad this year if Skinner is out long term and J. Staal doesn't hit the ground running when he comes back and that he also comes back on schedule or sooner. Same thing with Skinner, if he struggles when he gets back, it's going to be rough in Raleigh. If both of them are out longer than expected and both struggle upon returning, which I think there's a good chance that could happen, they are the team to beat in the race to the bottom.

Well wtv at the end the day we (fans) have no control over anything and our boys will simply take care of their business and hopefully get back on the playoffs wagon. We can simply hope for the best for all situations haha

But i cant see who could be worst than carolina in the east? Florida... Buffalo... Islanders?

Well wtv at the end the day we (fans) have no control over anything and our boys will simply take care of their business and hopefully get back on the playoffs wagon. We can simply hope for the best for all situations haha

But i cant see who could be worst than carolina in the east? Florida... Buffalo... Islanders?

Islanders would have been in contention had they help pat this offseason. With the addition of Grabovski, Kulemin, Leddy, Boychuk and Halak, they're much improved. Their only issue is gonna be if they can get all the new guys on the same page as the rest of the team in time to really push for a playoff spot. I'd put them above the Flyers now for sure.

This is how I see the division right now:

1st: Clearly the Pens are favorite to take the division and I think they're a better team than last year despite losing two regulars on defense. They added Ehrhoff who might be an upgrade over Niskanen if last year turns out to be more of a fluke than a trend and I think that will be the case. Not to say Niskanen is bad, I just don't think he'll put up the number of points he did with Pittsburgh, with Washington, especially with Trotz at the helm. Losing Orpik won't hurt them at all and may even be addition by subtraction.

2nd: Rangers are probably the team to beat for 2nd place in the division though this might change if they can't compensate for the loss of Stepan early on, St Louis ages significantly this year and Nash fails to meet expectations once again.

3rd & Wildcard:  I think both these spots are up for grabs between Columbus, NJ, Isles. Maybe the Caps or Flyers could grab a wildcard spots, but I think they'll have a tougher time getting in for reasons I'll explain below.

Everyone Else: I think the Caps will be better, but they're offense seriously lacks depth. Backstrom and Ovechkin are good, but they don't have much behind them. If Trotz can get them going quickly, they could grab a wildcard spot, but I think that's their ceiling.

Flyers might grab that spot though if their offense can overcome the flaming pile of sh!t that is their defense. Really gotta wonder why Philly didn't offer up a better deal to Boston or Chicago to get Boychuk or Leddy as both would be a vast improvement over most, if not all of their defenseman.

Worst of the Bunch: That leaves Carolina as the clear last place team in the league unless a team above them gets hit by the injury bug hard and it gets star players and it might have to take multiple star players from one team to change Carolina's destiny to be the last place team in the division.

Looking at the Atlantic division to see who will fight Carolina for last in the conference leaves you looking at Buffalo, Florida and maybe Ottawa. Florida might surprise if the kids take a serious step forward, however unlikely that is, and getting 65+ starts out of Luongo. Buffalo is definitely gonna be bad and Ottawa might be too if their defense isn't any better than last year, their goaltending doesn't improve and Ryan doesn't have a better year or Turris plateaus. Everyone else has no chance at hitting the bottom of the conference imo, not even Toronto as I think they improved their depth this year and while they may not get as good goaltending as they did last year, Bernier will be good enough for them to stay out of the basement of the league.

interesting, Budaj probably has a chance to at least split the starts in Winnipeg.

well I guess I was wrong, jets put budaj on waivers today just 2 days after trading for him... I would have though he's be a better option than Hutchinson. Man they're goaltending is terrible.