Is Phil Kessel the answer?

William D'Aquila

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize Kessel is more dynamic than anyone we currently have but he's also at the age that forwards numbers usually begin to start tapering off. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for 8 million per for that. Also, to me he seems like a guy whose game might slip if he wasn't under the watchful eye of the Toronto media and fan base. He kind of plays with a chip on his shoulder for the Leafs. I guess your opinion on this depends on if you think would he better or worse in a less intense situation.

Kessel is 27... that's prime age.  Sure no one wants the 8 million when he's 32, but he'd be productive for 5 of the 8 year contract.

I just don't see them trading him.  My dream RW would be Eberle.  I'd also think the Oilers would be stupid enough to overvalue Gelinas+.

Another "creative" move would be to trade Clowe for Semin.  He's a healthy scratch and the Canes would be able to have insurance pay for Clowe's salary.

Kessel is 27... that's prime age.  Sure no one wants the 8 million when he's 32, but he'd be productive for 5 of the 8 year contract.

I just don't see them trading him.  My dream RW would be Eberle.  I'd also think the Oilers would be stupid enough to overvalue Gelinas+.

Another "creative" move would be to trade Clowe for Semin.  He's a healthy scratch and the Canes would be able to have insurance pay for Clowe's salary.

You'll learn something here... I dont get it personally but....

Most posters are fine with patching hole with overpaid over the hill vets who won't produce and be an anchor almost from day 1... but they'll tear apart any ideas of trading for, re-sign or signing an established player in his prime with a big salary long term who will certainly produce for quite a few years but might not be that good at the end of his contract in like 7 years... 

cool avatar by the way

Edited by SterioDesign

Have long championed Kessel on this forum and have made similar arguments for trying to acquire him. I think he'd be a perfect fit. A Cammalleri - Zajac - Kessel line would be dynamic and a helluva lot of fun to watch.

JVR would probably be the "easier" get, but if we can get a guy like Kessel, we do it as long as we're not overpaying/getting fleeced.

There is literally no player on this team I consider off the table if Kessel was offered to us with Schneider being the only one I consider close to off the table.

Severson is also off the table. I'm not trading that kid for all the gold in Fort Knox.

Most posters are fine with patching hole with overpaid over the hill vets who won't produce and be an anchor almost from day 1... but they'll tear apart any ideas of trading for, re-sign or signing an established player in his prime with a big salary long term who will certainly produce for quite a few years but might not be that good at the end of his contract in like 7 years... 

cool avatar by the way

I don't think they are fine with signing over the hill vets; they just condition themselves to think it's the best move since it always happens.  Rarely, but sometimes Lou does shake things up.  Since the trade for Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner, there's only been the Kovalchuk trade which only really included Oduya that shook the team up but he does do them.  Brodeur said it before that when they started so poorly last year and used the mantra to fight to .500 that they sort of became comfortable with mediocrity.  Firing something across the bow let them know it's not ok...  I'm for trading for a top-6 RW and benching Salvador the next time he's healthy and plays poorly.

Thanks about the avatar.  I always have to put that up or else people think I'm vain from my username.

I don't think they are fine with signing over the hill vets; they just condition themselves to think it's the best move since it always happens. Rarely, but sometimes Lou does shake things up. Since the trade for Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner, there's only been the Kovalchuk trade which only really included Oduya that shook the team up but he does do them. Brodeur said it before that when they started so poorly last year and used the mantra to fight to .500 that they sort of became comfortable with mediocrity. Firing something across the bow let them know it's not ok... I'm for trading for a top-6 RW and benching Salvador the next time he's healthy and plays poorly.

Thanks about the avatar. I always have to put that up or else people think I'm vain from my username.

Or maybe we just realize that this team can't afford to give up what it would take to get a player like Kessel. This team desperately needs it's first round picks, and the first thing another team will want from us from a roster player standpoint is Severson, Larsson, or Henrique

A lot of people on this forum are lawst, okay. 

The Pepperkorn's, the bostonala370, they don't get it, and frankly they never will.

The Devils will have an extremely CHEAP defense for YEARS. Phil Kessel does not hurt the team in anyway all he does is make it younger, faster, and more talented. 

Kessel replaces Boucher

Merrill replaces Gelinas

Brunner replaces Ryder (I would deal Brunner for Frolik immediately or Tlusty)

1st - Who knows what that becomes

A lot of people on this forum are lawst, okay.

The Pepperkorn's, the bostonala370, they don't get it, and frankly they never will.

The Devils will have an extremely CHEAP defense for YEARS. Phil Kessel does not hurt the team in anyway all he does is make it younger, faster, and more talented.

Kessel replaces Boucher

Merrill replaces Gelinas

Brunner replaces Ryder (I would deal Brunner for Frolik immediately or Tlusty)

1st - Who knows what that becomes

Why in the world would Toronto take that deal?

I would like to have Kessel on this team, and as others mentioned, I don't think his contract is that terrible. The problem is that the Leafs, like the Devils, aren't really sellers yet. I don't think they will make the playoffs, but I would assume Leafs' management probably thinks they can, so they won't trade their key offensive player for what are essentially prospects.

Things would have to go downhill in a BIG, BIG way (bigger than two loses in a row to Nash and Buf) for the Leafs to commit to a major rebuilt. The fan base and media in Toronto just don't work that way.

And the Leafs are probably interested in a more steady defenceman than Eric Gelinas. I think you would have to warm up to the idea of trading Severson or at least Merrill to finish this trade.

Edited by devils102

Kessel always have good seadon. He is an unbelievable player. I would consider giving your package deal to Toronto. Even if i think it is a little too much. But i love the idea. He would be a perfect fit for us.

Je main win 8 millions. But frankly he deserve it.

Edited by caron14

Why wouldn't they?

Elite offensive dman - very likely Gelinas becomes a Souray type player

Boucher - is a potential top 6 forward

1st round pick in the deepest draft since 2003

Michael Ryder is an expiring contract giving them more cap to work in 2015. 

You don't move a player like Kessel, in his prime, for players that "could be".  Especially if you're not rebuilding, which I don't believe Toronto is about to do.  If the stars aline, Boucher maybe becomes 3/4 of the player Kessel currently is.  Makes no sense for the Leafs.  

This is the exact type of trade that Lou would make, and would drive people here (myself included) crazy.  The only expendable asset in that deal that I would part with is Ryder, and he's worth essentially nothing (maybe a late 2nd at the deadline).

Keep the kids, draft as high as possible, and let the youth develop.  No more of this "retooling" garbage.  

Edited by Devilsfan118

Why wouldn't they?

Elite offensive dman - very likely Gelinas becomes a Souray type player

Boucher - is a potential top 6 forward

1st round pick in the deepest draft since 2003

Michael Ryder is an expiring contract giving them more cap to work in 2015. 

If Gelinas is being compared to Souray then I am worried.

Boucher at best will be a 2nd line winger, but honestly I see him being more of a 3rd line guy.  I know what he did in juniors but that's juniors and I think Devils fans have hyped him up way too much.

cool avatar by the way

Wrong.

It's the 12 to 15 year deals of the old CBA that some here had issues with.  Long-term deals are always dicey by nature (Zajac's is already starting to look shaky), but I can handle a 6-7 year contract a lot better than a 12-15 year one.  One of the best things to come out of the new CBA was those idiotic contracts going away (but you can bet that if they were still around, GMs would've kept doling them out...they can't help themselves). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

You don't move a player like Kessel, in his prime, for players that "could be".  Especially if you're not rebuilding, which I don't believe Toronto is about to do.  If the stars aline, Boucher maybe becomes 3/4 of the player Kessel currently is.  Makes no sense for the Leafs.  

This is the exact type of trade that Lou would make, and would drive people here (myself included) crazy.  The only expendable asset in that deal that I would part with is Ryder, and he's worth essentially nothing (maybe a late 2nd at the deadline).

Keep the kids, draft as high as possible, and let the youth develop.  No more of this "retooling" garbage.  

I love how your argument keeps changing.

This is the deal the Devils need to make, they will never find a Kessel, Crosby, JVR, or Wheeler, drafting at 15.