GDT 7: Devils @ Senators aka first win of the season 730pm MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Huh? Ten teams make the playoffs in baseball.

Not when Mantle was playing.  No playoff rounds back then.  Just the National League and the American League teams with the best records make the postseason...straight to the World Series. 

That's flat out ridiculous, he's a living legend - exactly the kind of player that today's 12 year olds today will one day be telling their kids they got to see back when they were little.

I highly doubt there's droves of 12 year old's that are gonna wax poetic about Marty. I will because I got to see Marty through his prime and be a quality goalie nearly my whole life, but not 12 year old's.

I highly doubt there's droves of 12 year old's that are gonna wax poetic about Marty. I will because I got to see Marty through his prime and be a quality goalie nearly my whole life, but not 12 year old's.

You'd be surprised. 12 year olds who hear their older brothers (or parents) talk about Marty's glory days all the time and then see the Devils make the run they did during 2011-2012 playoffs, with Marty standing on his head, and the "scorpion save" in Madison Square Garden, etc., I'm sure they drank the Kool-Aid... My girlfriend only started following the Devils in 2010 and has a very deep respect for the guy.

Edited by DJ Eco

It is not 12 year olds keeping a too old and too slow Marty out there - it is Devils management and the coaching staff. I gave what I thought was a reason for it (the farewell tour scenario), and you don't need to agree with that reason, or even agree that the reason is valid. But if anyone thinks Marty is going to be sitting due to coaching staff decisions, that's not going to happen. If Marty doesn't 'sit himself' for the good of the team, this is pretty much the season we're going to have, what we've been seeing so far.

It is not 12 year olds keeping a too old and too slow Marty out there - it is Devils management and the coaching staff. I gave what I thought was a reason for it (the farewell tour scenario), and you don't need to agree with that reason, or even agree that the reason is valid. But if anyone thinks Marty is going to be sitting due to coaching staff decisions, that's not going to happen. If Marty doesn't 'sit himself' for the good of the team, this is pretty much the season we're going to have, what we've been seeing so far.

I don't know if it's the Farewell Tour scenario as much as it is DeBoer not having a handle on Marty. However, playing Schneider tomorrow's a huge move in the right direction, hopefully. Think about it:

In the past, a weak showing by Marty with a HOME game 2 nights later vs. the Rangers, no less; this would typically = Marty starting. We all know Marty has always played after a weak showing and almost always excels. And yet PDB showed some balls and put Schneider in tomorrow.

Brodeur's already playing in only half the games.  If he continues playing like this, he is going to get less than half the games.  The other 21 guys on the team didn't sign up for 'Brodeur's farewell tour' to sink the team.

Brodeur's already playing in only half the games.  If he continues playing like this, he is going to get less than half the games.  The other 21 guys on the team didn't sign up for 'Brodeur's farewell tour' to sink the team.

still dont know how everyone is blaming the teams failure totally on brodeur .. the defense sucks dick they failed schneider sunday ... why isnt anyone blaming them?

still dont know how everyone is blaming the teams failure totally on brodeur .. the defense sucks dick they failed schneider sunday ... why isnt anyone blaming them?

I don't think the so-far failure of the season has been totally blamed on Brodeur, but last night was def on Brodeur.  3 of the 4 goals he was in net for should have been stopped by him.

nobody is saying it's totally marty. but he alone is responsible for at least two losses. he alone has been responsible for many more losses than wins over the last 100 or so games.

i'm glad last night happened because it should seal marty's fate. assuming that schneider isn't AWFUL, i will take under 38 games started for Marty this season and that's what this team needs if they're going to have any chance this year.

i appreciate all he's done. but he has been finished for years. the 11-12 cup run has turned out to be a dead cat bounce. i say without hyperbole - he is the worst goaltender in the league. and you know what, as a 40 year old, he should accept that's ok. maybe he's still having fun. but nobody else is.

I'm not.  The Devils should probably be something like 1-3-3 or 2-4-1 through the first 7 here with how they've played.  They deserve to be below .500 without question.  That they're 0-4-3 is on Brodeur.

Edited by Triumph

nobody is saying it's totally marty. but he alone is responsible for at least two losses. he alone has been responsible for many more losses than wins over the last 100 or so games.

i'm glad last night happened because it should seal marty's fate. assuming that schneider isn't AWFUL, i will take under 38 games started for Marty this season and that's what this team needs if they're going to have any chance this year.

i appreciate all he's done. but he has been finished for years. the 11-12 cup run has turned out to be a dead cat bounce. i say without hyperbole - he is the worst goaltender in the league. and you know what, as a 40 year old, he should accept that's ok. maybe he's still having fun. but nobody else is.

It's especially bad when my brother, who is a die-hard Rags fan texts me almost every game now since last season saying "I hope marty plays forever."

it is kind of sad no one stays mint forever .. just hope he can find his game to make it threw the rest of the season in an ok sort of form

We were talking about this at work...watching the decline of such a great player is a wierd time, you hope that he can finish on a high note.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

To an extent we're also jumping the gun a bit. Marty hasn't looked any worse than Lundqvist (except his last game), for example. I'll be the first to say Marty looked like a bag of sh!t last night, but I'm not assuming this to be a whole-season type of thing, just like I don't think Lundqvist will suck all season the way he has.

You'd be surprised. 12 year olds who hear their older brothers (or parents) talk about Marty's glory days all the time and then see the Devils make the run they did during 2011-2012 playoffs, with Marty standing on his head, and the "scorpion save" in Madison Square Garden, etc., I'm sure they drank the Kool-Aid... My girlfriend only started following the Devils in 2010 and has a very deep respect for the guy.

I mean, my brother is 10 right now, he plays goal on his mite hockey team. He has a big Brodeur poster in his room and he'll have a few good memories, but not like I have.

My earliest hockey memories involve watching the Devils with Marty in net, I literally NEVER saw the team when he wasn't on it. People who are my age, the 20-30 year old crowd are the ones who are going to recall Marty as the ultimate netminder of his day.

I was in Orlando, so all I saw was an every once-in-a-while update on the ticker at the bottom of the ESPN screen. If we don't beat New York tomorrow, sh!t is going to hit the fan and jelly is going to hit the walls.

This team obviously needs a shakeup (and goaltending, that would be cool).. How about we release Salvador?

our captain ! lol that would be a first

has any team ever released their captain 

We were talking about this at work...watching the decline of such a great player is a wierd time, you hope that he can finish on a high note.

Sent from my Galaxy TAB using Tapatalk 2

The high note was 2011-12.  In a perfect world, though we would've been bummed initially to see him go, that would've been the perfect time for him to go out.  He would've left the game having had an extended terrific run, having fallen two games short of a Stanley Cup, having made it to 40. 

Instead he's 41 1/2, looking shaky and like he might have nothing left, and having more and more fans wishing he'd gotten out while there was a resemblance to the Marty of old.  Better to wonder if Marty might have been able to play a little longer, as opposed to seeing firsthand that it's probably going to be tough to watch him.

To an extent we're also jumping the gun a bit. Marty hasn't looked any worse than Lundqvist (except his last game), for example. I'll be the first to say Marty looked like a bag of sh!t last night, but I'm not assuming this to be a whole-season type of thing, just like I don't think Lundqvist will suck all season the way he has.

Lundqvist has been getting shelled, his defense has been non-existent.  Brodeur has been, as usual, given less than 30 shots against every game he's been in.  He's faced some breakaways and odd-man chances, so again, he hasn't been absolutely horrendous, but his play has been unacceptable.  It's the play of a backup goalie at best.

The high note was 2011-12.  In a perfect world, though we would've been bummed initially to see him go, that would've been the perfect time for him to go out.  He would've left the game having had an extended terrific run, having fallen two games short of a Stanley Cup, having made it to 40. 

Instead he's 41 1/2, looking shaky and like he might have nothing left, and having more and more fans wishing he'd gotten out while there was a resemblance to the Marty of old.  Better to wonder if Marty might have been able to play a little longer, as opposed to seeing firsthand that it's probably going to be tough to watch him.

It's so hard for a any athlete to end on such a high note. He was playing extremely well, and the team looked excellent. He signed before it was official that Parise left, so he had to feel good about the team too. Brodeur, along with everyone else, kept talking about how much they enjoyed playing with each other and how much fun they were having. He had his bromances with Kovy and Clarkson.

On top of that, he still had options. Chicago and Toronto were really gunning for him, so he actually had enough leverage to get 2-years from Lou. And has been discussed here at the time, there is the possibility that he could still use the money after a messy divorce, so many kids, spousal support, child support etc. 

It's just with a goalie, there really is no middle ground. You can't hang around and be Chelios or Modano, or in another sport, chip in off the bench and give 10-15 good bench minutes or pinch hits or snaps, etc. If you suck, it will show, and it will badly hurt your team. And right now he still comes to town with so much respect from the average local radio announcer, scribe or fan (like in Ottawa yesterday, no one was talking about Brodeur possibly being the reason the Devils are struggling so much, and reporters were actually discussing if Brodeur would join a playoff team, like Roloson did years back, if the Devils decide to rebuild mid-season). Then you actually see Brodeur in the game, and it's ugly. Opposing fans are trying to be respectful, but man it isn't pretty seeing one of the greatest like this. This is Curtis Joseph and Dwayne Roloson final season bad.

Anyway, part of the issue is the team from the players, to the coaching staff and management. There is too much respect for him, but I imagine that soon enough, Deboer will appreciate having a coaching job more than appreciating Brodeur's career. But it started last season when Deboer gushed about having the best goalie duo in the league, and continued when Schneider got traded, and Lou quickly made note that Brodeur is still the starter. And then Deboer said right away that Brodeur would be his opening night starter seconds into training camp. And when Schneider dominated pre-season, Pete made it known that Cory gives him the same calming influence that Brodeur does back there. How ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous, name value means alot to people.   Look at 09 in the playoffs with the matching and the geezer line getting big ice time and such.   I can't believe that Sutter would do that with Clemmer in net.    He seemed to have a healthy fear of him and it was in everyone's best interest.   Marty comes back and it seemed like the whole dynamic of that team changed within a week or so.

I don't think it's ridiculous, name value means alot to people.   Look at 09 in the playoffs with the matching and the geezer line getting big ice time and such.   I can't believe that Sutter would do that with Clemmer in net.    He seemed to have a healthy fear of him and it was in everyone's best interest.   Marty comes back and it seemed like the whole dynamic of that team changed within a week or so.

I'm a little confused with what you are getting at here. Maybe I am just very tired, but care to explain in more detail.

I'm a little confused with what you are getting at here. Maybe I am just very tired, but care to explain in more detail.

I probably talked too much.   I just don't think the coach being blinded by a "name" is that ridiculous.   It happens.     I don't think he's massaging egos.   

Last year, Moose or Keith Kinkaid ?    Was there really a difference, other than the name?   So one guy plays every game, despite being horrid, and the other one is a bench jockey.

Edited by maxpower

I mean, my brother is 10 right now, he plays goal on his mite hockey team. He has a big Brodeur poster in his room and he'll have a few good memories, but not like I have.

My earliest hockey memories involve watching the Devils with Marty in net, I literally NEVER saw the team when he wasn't on it. People who are my age, the 20-30 year old crowd are the ones who are going to recall Marty as the ultimate netminder of his day.

Yea, im young enough only to know Brodeur, and I got to see him through most of his prime. The first game I went to, Brodeur lost to the Islander edition of Weekes, pretty cool looking back. It wouldve been great had he gone out after the cup run. He made a huge stacked pad save late in the third of game 6 against the Rangers, and that really will probably be the last great memory I have of him.