Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

April is going to be really rough schedule-wise:

3 each vs WSH, CIN

3 each @ ATL, LAA

2 each @ ARI

3 each vs ATL

4 each vs STL

Other than Arizona, PECOTA projects all of those teams to be .500 or better, with St. Louis and Washington clear division favorites, and Los Angeles projected to win a tight AL West. 

----

Happy Opening Day everyone! The Mets are eerily keeping quiet with their lineup but I expect EY to be in there.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

April is going to be really rough schedule-wise:

3 each vs WSH, CIN

3 each @ ATL, LAA

2 each @ ARI

3 each vs ATL

4 each vs STL

Other than Arizona, PECOTA projects all of those teams to be .500 or better, with St. Louis and Washington clear division favorites, and the Angels projected to win a tight AL West. 

nmig, Mets' sched has a 9-game road swing (three @ ATL, three @ LAA, three @ Arizona).  Then three more at ATL.  Very easy to see the Mets going 4-8 in those.  I'd be thrilled with 6-6.

That's what kind of blows...Mets could easily be five games under .500 by the end of the month, which means Passive's 90 prediction will be coming up a lot in the media. 

6-9 in our first 15 would be fine by me, especially with our pen

I don't mind interleague play vs the Yankees and other interesting series (like when we go up to play Boston...which isn't enough by the way)

But visiting the Angels in April? Huh? Just weird

Edited by '7'

Daniel Murphy not in the lineup today since his wife went into labor. Eric Young Jr. at 2nd.

also Adam Rubin tweeted that the Mets lineup wasn't yet released due to some late "complications"...which got the fan base a bit riled up since it sounded kind of ominous. Another PR flub. Jay Horowitz really needs to go.

Edited by '7'

Yeah, make that 3 vs Arizona, misread the schedule. 

Murphy being out of the lineup likely means EYJr. at 2B, Lagares in CF. I wonder if they'll make a paternity list move. The minimum absence is 1 game, so they could put Murphy on it and call-up a 40-man roster player. I mean, there is no reason not to, but of course Las Vegas being our AAA affiliate gets in the way of something like this. I wouldn't be surprised if they called up one of the 40-man players that is on the B-Mets' roster -- Tovar? At quick glance I think he's the only 2014 B-Met who is on the 40-man. 

Edited by nmigliore

Jeez, Chris Young out with a quad strain. TC actually gave though to putting Duda in LF (some things NEVER change). Instead it'll be Andrew Brown.

Only so much you can do with THREE first basemen on the roster, who are all getting in the lineup this series. Talk about a sideshow.

Only so much you can do with THREE first basemen on the roster, who are all getting in the lineup this series. Talk about a sideshow.

Yep, that's what happens when you do absolutely nothing to address the position. No matter who starts, both need a platoon partner, which makes carrying Satin a necessity. Given the alternatives, I understand Duda being on the bench, but yeah, ideally you'd have a guy who better fits the 5th OF bill or else you start talking about Duda being in the outfield again when someone is hurting. 

Alderson just took a shot...and I agree with 'em. Tighten things up for once.

Alderson on 90 wins getting out: "I'm never thrilled when private conversations become public, which happens all too frequently w/ the Mets"

Not saying Sandy's wrong, but this is kind of like a guy who just went 0-for-4 with 3 Ks and an error criticizing other players.  Your offseason was a complete joke Sandy.  Shut up.

He does sound like he's one miserable SOB here.  Probably wishes he never took the job in the first place.

Yep, that's what happens when you do absolutely nothing to address the position. No matter who starts, both need a platoon partner, which makes carrying Satin a necessity. Given the alternatives, I understand Duda being on the bench, but yeah, ideally you'd have a guy who better fits the 5th OF bill or else you start talking about Duda being in the outfield again when someone is hurting. 

Don't worry, Bobby Abreu might be on the way!

It actually filled out nicely. Good to see the Mets get to Strasburg early. The offense will likely be feast or famine all year. They will hit their share of HR's though

Yeah, especially if Ike has a good year. 

Probably not great pitching conditions today.  Still nice to see four runs off Strasburg.

Congrats Sandy, another great bullpen you assembled this year :P

Also a great job by Terry to wait yet again until the sh!t hits the fan...same ol' Terry.  Can't wait until the Mets hire a real manager. 

Sandy and Terry...Tweedledum and Tweedledumber. 

Also a great job by Terry to wait yet again until the sh!t hits the fan...same ol' Terry.  Can't wait until the Mets hire a real manager. 

Sandy and Terry...Tweedledum and Tweedledumber. 

i sort of thought that too, but hey it's game 1 why not push Gee a tad and have him face Rendon. He has as good a chance with nothing in the tank as Rice/Torres

i can't go crazy at Terry for much the past 3 years. He has had little to work with. When he gets 74 win talent, he wins 74 games. Give him 90 win talent, and I doubt they'll underachieve. 

Edited by '7'

i sort of thought that too, but hey it's game 1 why not push Gee a tad and have him face Rendon. He has as good a chance with nothing in the tank as Rice/Torres

i can't go crazy at Terry for much the past 3 years. He has had little to work with. When he gets 74 win talent, he wins 74 games. Give him 90 win talent, and I doubt they'll underachieve. 

Terry is an amateur (notice how long it took him to get hired after his last gig), but I can't argue that he's been given loads to work with. 

11 Ks and counting for Mets hitters.  Guess we better get used to this.

Oh great, here comes Doofus. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

EY:  0 for 3 with 3 Ks, sac fly

Ike:  0 for 2 with 1 BB

Tejada:  1 for 3 with 1 K

Doofus:  0 for 1

Glad to see that the Fab Four is back and in stride.  Awesome.