1071 replies to this topic

#41 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

Just saw Star Trek and wow... great movie!!! Sadly, I don't think anything else this summer will be as good.

This is why I believe that, Incredible Hulk aside, Edward Norton is one of the best actors of our generation.

Go rent/download/Netflix queue/whatever The Illusionist. Great movie.

I used to think that Norton was one of the best too, but for me his last great performance was in 25th Hour and that's from 2002. For some reason I didn't like him in The Illusionist (probably the accent), and I hate him for playing in The Incredible Hulk.

#42 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

Dammit, am I actually going have to see Star Trek now? Everybodty I talk to is raving about it, from Trekies to regular folks. I'm just not a big fan of the "Classic Franchise Regurgiation" that seems to be the trend nowadays.

As for Edward Norton, I don't know if I would say he's the best actor of our generation, but he's definately one of the most underrated. He's fantastic in everything he does, from Rounders to Death to Smoochy. I've never seen Hulk, but I'm sure that film was a pitch nobody could hit.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#43 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Dammit, am I actually going have to see Star Trek now? Everybodty I talk to is raving about it, from Trekies to regular folks. I'm just not a big fan of the "Classic Franchise Regurgiation" that seems to be the trend nowadays.

Yeah I wasn't happy with the idea... and still... I'm like... ok... so there's 2 different Star Trek universes now... but it makes sense and the way they did it was so EXCELLENTLY done (even with an old friend passing the torch ... to not give any spoilers)... it was as good as you can ask for it to be

and ALL the characters were damn true to the originals!
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#44 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

Yeah Star Trek was phenomenal, but a little confusing and hard to follow

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#45 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

I like how Star Trek made an alternate universe to get rid of the discrepancies between the TV series and past movies. However I think there was one glitch that couldn't or shouldn't be explained away by an alternate universe. Viewers of the original TV series should note that Uhura couldn't have known 3 dialects of Romulan. Unless they explained it the TV series Enterprise (I didn't really watch it.) :P We first meet the Romulans when Kirk is already in command of the Enterprise. Am I showing my geekdom or what? :lol:
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#46 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Angels & Demons = not as good as Da Vinci Code. Terribly cheesy and way out of the realm of possibility. But, not awful. 3 outta 5.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#47 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

yup -- abrahms was smart... now he doesnt have to answer to anyone and can make it up as it goes... reboot indeed
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

#48 Souray44

Souray44

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Saw Angels and Demons on Friday night and I liked it. Felt it was much better than Da Vinci Code. Ewen McGregor was really good in it.
Thoughts?
I collect NJ Devils/Sheldon Souray game worn jerseys, sticks and gloves
My game used jerseys/sticks/gloves/skates/puck etc. - http://community.web...m/user/Souray44

#49 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:16 PM

Saw Angels and Demons on Friday night and I liked it. Felt it was much better than Da Vinci Code. Ewen McGregor was really good in it.
Thoughts?

That was friggin weird :lol:

I thought Ewen McGregor was pretty good in it, I just couldn't quite get myself past the implausibility of the story. Of course, I should have just shut my brain off, ate my popcorn, and watched it as good summer entertainment, but...meh. Still liked it, but not as much as Da Vinci Code.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.

#50 Souray44

Souray44

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

That was friggin weird :lol:

I thought Ewen McGregor was pretty good in it, I just couldn't quite get myself past the implausibility of the story. Of course, I should have just shut my brain off, ate my popcorn, and watched it as good summer entertainment, but...meh. Still liked it, but not as much as Da Vinci Code.

Yeah the story is crazy, so its tough to follow. It's really hard to make a movie of a great book like that. Brown's books are so detailed...

My wife and I rented the Changelings last night. It was really, really good. Angelina Joile was unreal!
I collect NJ Devils/Sheldon Souray game worn jerseys, sticks and gloves
My game used jerseys/sticks/gloves/skates/puck etc. - http://community.web...m/user/Souray44

#51 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

I saw the trailer for Public Enemies before the movie, btw. Now I wanna see that too. And it's too cost-prohibitive for me to be seeing movies every damn week. Something's gonna have to wait 'til DVD.

#52 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

I saw the trailer for Public Enemies before the movie, btw. Now I wanna see that too. And it's too cost-prohibitive for me to be seeing movies every damn week. Something's gonna have to wait 'til DVD.

you have a student ID yes??
there's a place in Union that does $5 movies on Tue-Thursday with ID!

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#53 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

you have a student ID yes??
there's a place in Union that does $5 movies on Tue-Thursday with ID!

Hmm. Interesting...I may have to check that out. Though Tuesday-Thursday are summer classes for the next month. And after that, hopefully, hockey. (BTW, if my Tuesday class is short since it's the first one, I'll swing by).

#54 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

Hmm. Interesting...I may have to check that out. Though Tuesday-Thursday are summer classes for the next month. And after that, hopefully, hockey. (BTW, if my Tuesday class is short since it's the first one, I'll swing by).

Good man!! :thumbsup:

Just trying to help ya get yer movie fix

the place is a dump but it's worth $5

#55 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

Good man!! :thumbsup:

Just trying to help ya get yer movie fix

the place is a dump but it's worth $5

Yeah seriously, considering a spent $10 a pop on two tickets Friday night at Menlo.

#56 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Yeah seriously, considering a spent $10 a pop on two tickets Friday night at Menlo.

Yeah same when I took my mom to Star Trek for Mother's Day

#57 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:24 PM

Yeah same when I took my mom to Star Trek for Mother's Day

I think it contributed to my not enjoying the movie as much as I wanted to...if I wanted to spend $20 to listen to people hacking up a lung, I'd have at least gone to a sh!tty country bar and got some drinks out of the deal.

#58 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,630 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

I think it contributed to my not enjoying the movie as much as I wanted to...if I wanted to spend $20 to listen to people hacking up a lung, I'd have at least gone to a sh!tty country bar and got some drinks out of the deal.

you're not good at the "happy" thing are ya? :P

#59 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

you're not good at the "happy" thing are ya? :P

Nah, happy and I are not usually on speaking terms.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I just kept thinking that the movie would be more fun with alcohol, as it usually is at home. :lol:

#60 Atterr

Atterr

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

Thoughts?

Yeah it was better than The Da Vinci Code but I still didn't like it that much. It's boring watching Tom Hanks (who definitely plays on auto-pilot) going from church to church to find clues. Also the climax was ridiculous. I heard in the book it's even more insane, but I haven't read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users