NJ Devils officialy offers a contract to Saku Koivu

SS-SS

my personal favorite is something my dad use to get when he was a kid, LnB Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn, it should be the gold standard for pizza imo. When ever I'm in the area I'll pick up 4-5 pies to bring home and warm up.

That place is amazing!! My mom grew up in Brooklyn and my family used to go there when I was a kid. I went there again last summer with my uncle and instantly realized why I remembered it so vividly. Their food is only matched by their own spumoni, Chicago pizza, and the halal cart at the corner of 53rd and 6th in Manhattan after 7PM.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those who like pete and elda's, the guy who originally owned that place opened a nice little restaurant in west long branch called zachary's. and they make a mean thin crust pie there. all around great food too.

people who think jersey pizza isn't any good are dummy's.

OH CRAP! THE DEVILS RUMOR JUST HIT Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), WE MAY BE SCREWED.

3-4 year deal according to him, which sounds about right.

:doh1: SH!T! There goes any chance we had at signing him.

:doh1: SH!T! There goes any chance we had at signing him.

Thought the exact same thing.

However, he's just repeating the TG rumors and the other places that said it first, thats Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)'s MO more often than not these days. He just steals other sources and claims than as one of his E's, so I have a bit of hope that it may happen.

That said, the more I think about Koivu, while I like him in the immediate, I dont like it for 3-4 years. Its good if we get him for this season, but if we don't, its not a biggie. He's not a necessity. Had we lost Zajac, then it'd be a necessity.

people who think jersey pizza isn't any good are dummy's.

The best pizza is Al's Pizza in Enola Pennsylvania. This is coming from a New Yorker who is a total snob about his pizza, that place has amazing pizza. We used to have a unwritten rule at the yard "Let the Al's delivery boy in, no questions asked!".

The best pizza is Al's Pizza in Enola Pennsylvania. This is coming from a New Yorker who is a total snob about his pizza, that place has amazing pizza. We used to have a unwritten rule at the yard "Let the Al's delivery boy in, no questions asked!".

Sorry, gotta stick up for Roman Gourmet in Maplewood. Every pizza I've had there is amazing, from plain ol' cheese to bacon to honey mustard chicken to buffalo chicken...I'm hungry now.

Independent pizza polls:

GQ magazine: I ventured deep into the suburb of Westchester, where I live. (I briefly left the state to visit nearby spots in New Jersey but had no success there.) During my tour of Philadelphia, I journeyed to as distant a land as Trenton, New Jersey. (Again, no luck.)

(NEW HAVEN, CONN.)

6. Sally’s Apizza

Sally’s is ancient, in an old Appalachian way. I can’t believe the men’s bathroom has been cleaned since 1938, when the pizzeria opened for business. Service was equally dismal. I noticed regulars getting some attention, not so much that they appeared pampered, but the rest of us waited about ninety minutes before our first pies appeared. To me, Sally’s should be renamed Sartre’s Apizza, home of absurdity and despair. I wasn’t there on any particular holiday, April Fools’ Day or Halloween, but the somnambulant staff wore weird outfits—nutsy party hats, outdated ties, Bermuda shorts, and T-shirts (in winter). I wondered if Sally’s was the headquarters of a work-release program for the culinarily insane. The customers weren’t impressive, either, especially the lady in the booth across from mine, fast asleep. Out of this agonizing ambience appeared a pie of incredible finesse, a tour de force, a white (no tomato sauce) pizza prepared with thinly sliced potatoes cooked to an artful golden brown, a scattering of equally faultless onions, and a masterful touch of rosemary, all perfectly complemented by Sally’s crust, a bit denser, chewier, and thinner than the one up the block at the equally fabled Pepe’s. By the way, I bet Sinatra got great service when he ate here.

(NEW HAVEN, CONN.)

12. Frank Pepe

The Original Tomato Pie

I love the crust here—rather thick, quite soft, with nooks, crannies, colors, and char. I felt the same about the tomato sauce, not exactly what you would expect on pizza, a little more like a mild, chunky cooked pasta sauce. As I chewed and ate, ate and chewed, going through seven pies, trying one topping after another, it came to me: Keep it simple. The small, plain tomato pie without mozzarella and stunningly priced at $6.10 is pretty perfect when topped with plenty of silky, salty Pecorino Romano from the shaker on your table. The cheese is freshly grated each day. The single flaw in this pie? After adding so much cheese to so much sauce, you might have to use a knife and fork.

Gridskipper blog:

East

DiFara's Pizza Brooklyn, NY

Totonno's Manhattan, NYC

Una Pizza Napoletana Manhattan, NYC

Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana New Haven, Connecticut

Sally's Apizza New Haven, Connecticut

Al Forno Providence, Rhode Island

Picco Boston, Massachusetts

2 Amy's Pizza Washington D.C.

(no NJ -- hmmm missed another list!)

Al Forno in Providence RI is hitting it big on all lists as well... why am I not shocked?

Forbes traveler slide show shows... Pepe's in New Haven... and :o NONE in NJ? http://www.forbestraveler.com/food-drink/a...rias-slide.html

It just goes on and on guys... NJ just does NOT have legendary pizza -- it's just all you've been brought up with, you can't help it if that's what you THINK pizza should be like, right? :saddevil:

:giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn

Independent pizza polls:

Gridskipper blog:

East

DiFara's Pizza Brooklyn, NY

Totonno's Manhattan, NYC

Una Pizza Napoletana Manhattan, NYC

Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana New Haven, Connecticut

Sally's Apizza New Haven, Connecticut

Al Forno Providence, Rhode Island

Picco Boston, Massachusetts

2 Amy's Pizza Washington D.C.

(no NJ -- hmmm missed another list!)

It just goes on and on guys... NJ just does NOT have legendary pizza -- it's just all you've been brought up with, you can't help it if that's what you THINK pizza should be like, right? :saddevil:

:giggle:

That is the second time i have heard good reviews of that Picco place in Boston I live right near there I must try. Boston is pretty well known for awful pizza.

Any list of pizza that does not mention Grotto's Pizza in Delaware is fail. Grotto's might be the best pizza I've had outside of this area.

And really, it all depends on what you like in a pizza. I don't care that much which one is the best, as long as it tastes good to me. (for the record, thin crust, tangy sauce, lots of cheese, just a slight touch overcooked so that the entirety of the crust is slightly crispy)

That is the second time i have heard good reviews of that Picco place in Boston I live right near there I must try. Boston is pretty well known for awful pizza.

When I was in school in Boston we had the worst pizza down the street on Boylston - it was just grease and corn meal -- you gto to like it after a while... like you guys and NJ pizza.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Reports have it that Saku wants back in Montreal

Also, there was a place that stole the name 'Spumoni Gardens' and all the recipes from them that was up in Old Bridge a few years back. It was sued and went out of business, but that pizza was identical.

Spumoni Gardens Pizza is the best (L&B in Brooklyn) Ive never heard of this fake one in Old Bridge though...

2609176808_8e31004338.jpg

pizza1.jpg

This offseason is without a doubt the worst for the Devils since 2001, when they only signed Tommy Albelin and lost Sean O'Donnell and Alexander Mogilny and following a disaster collapse in the last minute and 21 and to do nothing is really not the way to go Lou.

This offseason is without a doubt the worst for the Devils since 2001, when they only signed Tommy Albelin and lost Sean O'Donnell and Alexander Mogilny and following a disaster collapse in the last minute and 21 and to do nothing is really not the way to go Lou.

:unsure:

are you joking? Seriously -- I mean was this a joke post? I'm not clear on that...