MacLean has been fired. Confirmed on NJ.com

thefiestygoat

I can't help but feel for MacLean though. This guy has waited SO long for this, and not only did everything go wrong, but he will be remembered as the coach who ended a 14 year playoff run. And the saddest thing is that it will be remembered as solely his fault, where in reality he got very little support from the players, and some horrendous luck to boot.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this, and it takes forever for a defenseman to develop. if we have to wait 6 years for the guy to become a 3 wins a year player, that's too long. the hole is so deep that we might end up with that player anyway, since it's not like a lot of our players won't be gone at the deadline.

I actually agree with this. As much as everybody is pining for Larrson, the Devils have some defense prospects coming up soon in Merrill, Urbom, Burlon who all look to have a significant degree of promise to each of themselves. Devils likely arent going to finish out of the Top 8 or so anyway and there's some good forward prospects in the Top 15 range, guys like Ambroz, Landeskog, Armia, Nugent-Hopkins, Rask, a few others, as well as some second-tier defensive guys with some raw skills that need some polish in Musil, etc.

I'd rather the Devils play some competitive hockey, because this has been painful to watch to lately and Jacques knows his sh!t. It's amazing how many people were crapping on him the end of last year, and if anything, we found it Jacques wasnt the problem, not by a longshot.

My guess, is in the offseason Lou will look to right a wrong and maybe bring in a Therrien or Haviland.

I can't help but feel for MacLean though. This guy has waited SO long for this, and not only did everything go wrong, but he will be remembered as the coach who ended a 14 year playoff run. And the saddest thing is that it will be remembered as solely his fault, where in reality he got very little support from the players, and some horrendous luck to boot.

I don't feel bad for him. He did this to himself by donning a Rangers uniform the end of his career.

Edited by coldply123

He took the single most talented teams we've had post-lockout and drove them to the worst start in franchise history.

He gets no pity from me.

I'll agree that it was the most talented team post-lockout ON PAPER, but as we've seen, a lot of our players have taken serious steps back / had age catch up with them. It's really not as one-sided as you imply.

I don't disagree, but Lou couldn't even get anyone to take Rolston for free. What makes you think he can pull off a trade for Langenbrunner?

A lot of playoff bound teams could use him. Jamie is still excellent on the PK and provided he's got some talented linemates, he'd fit just fine. He's just not the offensive and scoring forward he used to be.

He should be able to bring back a 2nd rounder and I'll take it. Teams like the Kings, Avalanche, even the Bruins and a few others could use him.

There's some rumors out there that Vanderbeek told Lou that any replacement had to come internally, and he wasn't going to continue to pay off coaches from the payroll.

TG has tweeted that Lemaire won't coach the team beyond this season. So which former Devils coach will take over next year? Sutter, Robinson, or could it even be Kevin Constantine? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hitchock, Hartley, Therrien, Haviland are just a few popping out. It's possible Lou won't be here to decide anyway.

There's some rumors out there that Vanderbeek told Lou that any replacement had to come internally, and he wasn't going to continue to pay off coaches from the payroll.

this is likely just as true as the statement that lemaire made the most sense for where this team is right now.

also - gotta give props to Chere who sort of called this two weeks ago.

You're really saying we have bottom-two talent on the ice in the NHL? At some point, you have to blame the system in place.

I didn't say that MacLean wasn't at fault. I wanted him fired as much as anyone else. What I'm saying is that while he's at fault, he isn't the only one. He doesn't deserve a sparkling record, but he certainly doesn't deserve what he got this year. The players failed him as much as he failed them. At the end of the day though, this year will fall squarely on his head, and that's why I feel bad for him.

You're really saying we have bottom-two talent on the ice in the NHL? At some point, you have to blame the system in place.

Not necessarily bottom two talent, but weak links in the chain that make the whole thing fall apart. Skating two or three AHL defenseman on any given night, bad chemistry, one good, but underoverperforming pure center, just to name a few.

Edited by Daniel