Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

Since Larsson started playing in 2011-2012 he will hit UFA after the 2017-2018 season. So a 7 years deal on Larsson's next contract would also buy you 3 UFA years.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that. If Larsson doesn't take a step forward next year, he has no incentive to sign a long term deal

im absolutely petrified to the idea of losing both Elias, Clarkson, Zid and not being able to sign any free agent and that Zajac and Henrique doesnt step up and Larsson doesnt step up either and that our goalies sh!t the bed and we finish in the bottom 5 of the draft next year....

and quite honestly... its not that far fetch and its even more horrifying 

im absolutely petrified to the idea of losing both Elias, Clarkson, Zid and not being able to sign any free agent and that Zajac and Henrique doesnt step up and Larsson doesnt step up either and that our goalies sh!t the bed and we finish in the bottom 5 of the draft next year....

and quite honestly... its not that far fetch and its even more horrifying 

I have some similar fears.. not as strong but i think alot of us are concerned about this.. ill feel better once we start hearing some resignings.. i pretty much want our roster to remain the same except for sullivan, dags and poni .. replace the three of them with better talent and we will be ok just the way we already are

I wouldn't be against the Devils sucking next year to to acquire another very high (low) pick...except the team won't have a pick next year.

So, worst case scenario, the team has to give up a very good pick.

Should have never kept the 29th overall, but I don't want to start that debate again.

I wouldn't be against the Devils sucking next year to to acquire another very high (low) pick...except the team won't have a pick next year.

Should have never kept the 29th overall, but I don't want to start that debate again.

Why are people so down on Jr even though he played well in NJ?

Why are people so down on Jr even though he played well in NJ?

Negative post warning:

Because he looks like an average potential kid, with ties to the NYR organization. Wouldn't surprise me if he pans out to be a 3rd liner type who hops the river the minute he hits UFA.

I'm also dreading the idea of the Devils becoming the laughing stock of the NHL next summer if they have to relinquish a good pick. And it's an absolutely real possibility if the Devils lose UFAs and Lou doesn't do anything to address the paper thin offensive depth the Devils currently have.

You can also bank on Brodeur missing some time next year (think somewhere in the range of 15-20 games, I bet). And if they don't bring in a competent backup..well..

/end negativity. I know how absurd the Matteau comments sound, considering he's played all of, what, 10 games in a Devils sweater, but I'm just throwing out some excessively pessimistic food for thought.

Negative post warning:

Because he looks like an average potential kid, with ties to the NYR organization. Wouldn't surprise me if he pans out to be a 3rd liner type who hops the river the minute he hits UFA.

I'm also dreading the idea of the Devils becoming the laughing stock of the NHL next summer if they have to relinquish a good pick. And it's an absolutely real possibility if the Devils lose UFAs and Lou doesn't do anything to address the paper thin offensive depth the Devils currently have.

You can also bank on Brodeur missing some time next year (think somewhere in the range of 15-20 games, I bet). And if they don't bring in a competent backup..well..

/end negativity. I know how absurd the Matteau comments sound, considering he's played all of, what, 10 games in a Devils sweater, but I'm just throwing out some excessively pessimistic food for thought.

2015 is really the year you would have hated to forfeit the first round pick and crap the bed, and potentially miss out on Connor McDavid. Why do I get a inkling though that he's the type of player that would demand a trade to a big market a la Lindros.

Don't know anything about next years draft class though.

Re Matteau, if the Rangers end up throwing more money at him than he's worth seven years down the road it will be a sign that things went really well. Would mean that Matteau actually turned out to be a good player, that the Devils didn't really need him anymore, and that the Rangers streak of futility must have continued given their desperation at free agency time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Daniel

May just be being a worry wort but still not hearing anything on all of the FA's has me really concerned this team will end up in a deep pile of dog sh!t next year with there not being many options in fa players... Why hasn't patty been re signed yet? I mean seriously the guy wants to be here its well known we all figured he would be the easiest to lock up and still nothing. If clarkson walks who the hell replaces him? The offense is already paper thin.. Are other teams making progress of signing their FA's?

Edited by Sik02gt

May just be being a worry wort but still not hearing anything on all of the FA's has me really concerned this team will end up in a deep pile of dog sh!t next year with there not being many options in fa players... Why hasn't patty been re signed yet? I mean seriously the guy wants to be here its well known we all figured he would be the easiest to lock up and still nothing. If clarkson walks who the hell replaces him? The offense is already paper thin.. Are other teams making progress of signing their FA's?

To answer your last question, not really. The last potential UFA signing was when Dallas traded for Gonchar and signed him Monday, and there wasn't much of anything before that. Other than Josi, I can't think of too many RFA's that have signed yet either, at least not big name ones. Things will most likely open up once the finals end, and then there will probably a rash of signings in that 5 days between the draft and free agency.

Negative post warning:

Let's put something to bed right away - Stephane Matteau played 116 games for the New York Rangers.  He scored a huge goal for them but this isn't Ray Bourque and Chris Bourque or something.  In addition, they had the opportunity to draft him and passed on said opportunity.

Second, this terror that a small portion of the fanbase has about everyone going to New York - can't we get over that?  Haven't we seen Holik and Gomez and Driver and whomever else haven't exactly made the Rangers a powerhouse?  And it's not that the Rangers are somehow cursed, it's that signing UFAs, by and large, is a terrible move.  Most of them don't work out.

I love it! Streit can't play a lick of D, is an over 35 contract and is gonna get overpaid

Strang and McKenzie saying he will be looking for 5M and at least 3 years. This would definitely be a Holmgren move, overpay an aging defenseman who has lost his legs.