2013 NFL Draft

Daniel

Anyone up for using the chat room as a split discussion between the Devils game and the NFL draft on Thursday?  I don't think it would violate any board rules.

Draft starts at 8, but I'm going to try to make it home by 5:30 to watch the pre-draft analysis.  I don't know what it is, but the NFL draft is one of my favorite sports related events of the year.

FWIW, I love the idea of the Dolphins taking a gamble on Eiffert at 12.  The draft guru types would say it's a reach, but these days everything revolves around the passing game, and you can never have too many offensive weapons.

Is anyone really going to be in chat for a completely meaningless game for both teams anyway?

Now I'm pissed I'm stuck going to the home finale on Thursday now that I remembered that was the first round of the draft, fvcking NFL...it should be Friday-Sunday :rant:

Oh well, I hate the Jets today anyway, not going to be in a celebratory mood but was curious what they wind up doing with the top 13 picks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Is anyone really going to be in chat for a completely meaningless game for both teams anyway?

Now I'm pissed I'm stuck going to the home finale on Thursday now that I remembered that was the first round of the draft, fvcking NFL...it should be Friday-Sunday :rant:

Oh well, I hate the Jets today anyway, not going to be in a celebratory mood but was curious what they wind up doing with the top 13 picks.

Ha, that reminds me that I was at a Devils game when the Jets made the infamous (or in my opinion, hilarious) Kyle Brady pick.  Given no smart phones back then, I'm not sure how news of the pick made it into the crowd (maybe someone watching it in one of the boxes), but there were a few Jets fans that had that catatonic look that only Jets fans watching the draft seem to have mastered. 

For the benefit of those that can't make it into the chatroom, we could also discuss on the main board, like any other GDT.

I tossed this idea out with a few of my Jet fan friends. If  I'm the Giants, I give the Jets a call and ask about the 13th overall. I'd trade Cruz straight up for it. It really benefits both teams. WR is a position of strength for the Giants and the Jets need a quality receiver badly, not to mention the big name Woody would love. This allows the Giants to address their two biggest needs in Oline and LB with picks at 13 and 20 and still have a good WR corps. They could take a speed slot guy in the later rounds. 

I tossed this idea out with a few of my Jet fan friends. If  I'm the Giants, I give the Jets a call and ask about the 13th overall. I'd trade Cruz straight up for it. It really benefits both teams. WR is a position of strength for the Giants and the Jets need a quality receiver badly, not to mention the big name Woody would love. This allows the Giants to address their two biggest needs in Oline and LB with picks at 13 and 20 and still have a good WR corps. They could take a speed slot guy in the later rounds. 

Tennessee is also an intriguing option if you wanted to trade up and get either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper...it's possible that they'd be tempted to do that deal assuming Tennessee has the cap space to sign Cruz to a long term deal..

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Ignoring that the Jets and Giants wouldn't do a deal 'these' days after the made-up rivalry has been amped up the last few years, it's not unreasonable.  Thing is we have smallish receivers (Holmes, Kerley), what we really need is a bigger target than them or Cruz, especially with Keller gone.  Braylon's old/hurt and Hill sucks.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Ha, that reminds me that I was at a Devils game when the Jets made the infamous (or in my opinion, hilarious) Kyle Brady pick.  Given no smart phones back then, I'm not sure how news of the pick made it into the crowd (maybe someone watching it in one of the boxes), but there were a few Jets fans that had that catatonic look that only Jets fans watching the draft seem to have mastered. 

For the benefit of those that can't make it into the chatroom, we could also discuss on the main board, like any other GDT.

It wasn't even so much picking Brady (though he was like the second straight first-round TE on the heels of the Johnny Mitchell disaster), but the fact they passed up Warren Sapp to do it.  But yeah that was definitely one moment where everyone but the guys picking knew that would backfire.

I wouldn't even mind the guard from Alabama, anything that speeds up getting Ducasse off the field and off the team is fine with me.  Not crazy about picking the TE this year cause of our checkered past with first-round TE's (Mitchell/Brady/Becht/Keller) although the league's going that way thanks to the Pats, Jimmy Graham/etc.  And we do need a big receiver.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Everyone seems to like our pick.  He looks like a hitter with good hands.

Irvin loved it so much he almost cursed out Jerry Jones for NOT taking him on air.....

Irvin loved it so much he almost cursed out Jerry Jones for NOT taking him on air.....

Good to know.  If Jerry liked him I would be more concerned about us picking him.

I had a hard time watching last night.   I love Mel Kiper and Adam Scheff, but Gruden is an unbearable idiot.   NFL Network Draft cast just seemed like a bunch of brown noses looking for NFL management jobs.

The NFL Network guys were fine for me....I'd rather watch a test pattern over anything ESPN still :P

The field day of text messages, FB posts and the friend who was here with me made that the most entertaining draft round I ever watched :D

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys-jones-boys-deflate-own-football-people-draft-130339621.html

Cowboys’ Jones boys deflate their own football people with draft ‘philosophy’

Best quote: "But the primary issue was that the Cowboys, a team that has drafted pretty horribly over the last few seasons, seem to have done it again in the wrong direction."

Wow, Crasher if you had seen the Jerry Jones press conference, I think you would hate him even more.

I can't hate him anymore....I'm past the point of emotion and I'm in the acceptance phase where I know only a scorched Earth philosophy is gonna save the Cowboys (or some well placed food poisoning....)

Overview: The Ravens entered Thursday with an AFC-high 12 picks. They proceeded to replenish a defense picked apart in free agency with first- and second-day value grabs that address immediate needs. Elam and Brown are plug-and-play starters who add physicality up the middle. Experienced covering slot receivers, Elam is an upgrade on outgoing Bernard Pollard, while Brown's game tape was arguably indicative of a top-20 overall player. Williams is a quick-footed 340-pound nose tackle with pocket-pushing ability. Simon draws comparisons to James Harrison as a stubby, if stout rush linebacker prospect with a deceptively explosive first step. Juszczyk, Wagner, Lewis-Moore, and Anthony look like future role players. Mellette was another terrific late-round value pick. Once GM Ozzie Newsome gets left tackle Bryant McKinnie re-signed, the Ravens' 2013 lineups will near completion. And I think the product can be better than what Baltimore put on the field in 2012.

Grade: B+

I think the Boldin, Reed and Pollard moves will haunt us the next few years, but overall this Draft year helps long term.

Baltimore Ravens

Picks: FS Matt Elam, ILB Arthur Brown, DT Brandon Williams, DE John Simon, FB Kyle Juszczyk, OT Ricky Wagner, DE Kapron Lewis-Moore, OT Ryan Jensen, WR Aaron Mellette, CB Marc Anthony.

Analysis: The Ravens are an unflappable organization built on a consistent approach to the draft. So even after losing Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Anquan Boldin, Paul Kruger and Bernard Pollard, Baltimore patiently waited to rebuild through the draft rather than pay retail prices in free agency. The result is that the Ravens picked at least two guys (Elam and Brown) who should start right away and three or four other players who could be significant contributors. In particular, Elam has a chance to be an excellent player, as long as fans aren't expecting the second coming of Reed. This is the kind of approach that has kept long term success sustainable in Baltimore.

Grade: B

Consistent evaluation