Is the 6th seed the ideal spot again?

JustinZ

I know most of us wanted the 6 seed to play Florida last year, but we didn't know how tough that series was going to be. I still think everyone was happy with the results. :thumbsup:

I know this thread may seem early, but there are only about 20 games left. I think Boston and Pitt finish 1 and 2. Probably leaves Montreal at the 4th seed. I know they're young, but they scare me a little. 

I think the highest we finish is 5th unless we get really hot. The 3rd seed probably ends up with a point total near the 7th or 8th seed. 

Still the way it may turn out I would rather them than Bos, Pit, or Mon. 

How would the #6 possibly be the best seed when we would at this point either face Carolina - who has a playoff hex on us, or Winnipeg who just played us tooth and nail in three games during a short period?

Thankfully, there is no 'best seed' this year other than anything above 9 :P

we are just not very good with anything southeast. i'm hoping for 4 or 5 seed. least pressure, no one gives hype to high seed or low.

with boston winning their division in all likelihood, 4th seed for us against a 5th montreal would be ideal for brodeur to shine.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

It is, but it's not as ideal as playing Florida last year.  Remember part of the reason to avoid 5th was that it was a virtual lock that we would play the Penguins, who were the strongest team in the Conference (aside from their goaltending which completely did them in).  This year it'd be Montreal.  But Carolina isn't very strong and I don't believe in playoff hexes.

But first they have to get in, which they are far from a lock to do.

Carolina is a horrible matchup for us. They have unbelievable team speed...and with 2 forcheckers bearing down on Salvador, Volchenkov, and whatever other slow defenseman we have trying to corrall the puck, they will cause a ton of turnover. And there transition game in general we will have no answer for. There is nothing the Devils can do to reign in Carolina. Zero

I don't mind the Devils being a 6 seed again just as long as the Hurricane don't win that division.  Like others have said, we are cursed against that team.  Doesn't matter if our team is better like in 02 or 09 or if they are better like in 06.  the way the devils have lost playoffs games to this team still amazes me  (game 7 in 09 was the worst of all, but it was fitting based on all the other ways the devils lost to carolina in 02, 06 and 09)

I also want to avoid the Bruins and I think they'll finish 1st.  Right now I'm hoping for 7, 6 (as long as no canes), or 5.  If they devils are on their game I like the chances against Montreal and Pitt and anyone in the 3 spot (other than carolina if the Jets or Caps end up winning)

I know most of us wanted the 6 seed to play Florida last year, but we didn't know how tough that series was going to be. I still think everyone was happy with the results. :thumbsup:

I know this thread may seem early, but there are only about 20 games left. I think Boston and Pitt finish 1 and 2. Probably leaves Montreal at the 4th seed. I know they're young, but they scare me a little. 

I think the highest we finish is 5th unless we get really hot. The 3rd seed probably ends up with a point total near the 7th or 8th seed. 

Still the way it may turn out I would rather them than Bos, Pit, or Mon. 

agreed, but even if the devils matched up well I wouldn't want to play them.  Our team always finds a way to lose to this team no matter what and until that changes I won't believe any different.  I dreaded that 09 series because of 02 and 06 and the devils came as close to beating a team without winning as they ever have.  not just game 7, but the way they lost the other games in that series too was in typical devils/carolina fashion.  I don't want anything to do with this team.  09 ended up being the worst of the 3.

Carolina is a horrible matchup for us. They have unbelievable team speed...and with 2 forcheckers bearing down on Salvador, Volchenkov, and whatever other slow defenseman we have trying to corrall the puck, they will cause a ton of turnover. And there transition game in general we will have no answer for. There is nothing the Devils can do to reign in Carolina. Zero

I don't mind the Devils being a 6 seed again just as long as the Hurricane don't win that division.  Like others have said, we are cursed against that team.  Doesn't matter if our team is better like in 02 or 09 or if they are better like in 06.  the way the devils have lost playoffs games to this team still amazes me  (game 7 in 09 was the worst of all, but it was fitting based on all the other ways the devils lost to carolina in 02, 06 and 09)

I also want to avoid the Bruins and I think they'll finish 1st.  Right now I'm hoping for 7, 6 (as long as no canes), or 5.  If they devils are on their game I like the chances against Montreal and Pitt and anyone in the 3 spot (other than carolina if the Jets or Caps end up winning)

agreed, but even if the devils matched up well I wouldn't want to play them.  Our team always finds a way to lose to this team no matter what and until that changes I won't believe any different.  I dreaded that 09 series because of 02 and 06 and the devils came as close to beating a team without winning as they ever have.  not just game 7, but the way they lost the other games in that series too was in typical devils/carolina fashion.  I don't want anything to do with this team.  09 ended up being the worst of the 3.

exactly....horrific OT losses (the fvck does Kevin Weekes make that save) us getting goals called off. Carolina getting suspicious powerplays late in the game

it's been horrible.  I mean 06 the Canes were great and were better than our team.  Game 2 was a brutal loss when Parise scored to take the lead with around 30 seconds left and they tied it still and then won in overtime, but 06 was their year and they beat us pretty bad in the other 4 games.

02 and 09 were just so brutal.  02 I remember devils up by 1 goal in the final minute of game 5 (the refs didn't blow the whistle when brodeur froze the puck and carolina kept hitting his pad and knocked it in)  I feel that cost us that series.  plus this didn't even account for game 1 and game 2 when their goalie dove the whole game and that led to power play goals by them. 

and that was just 2002.  2009 was even worse.  outside of the Rangers and Flyers I hate this team more than anyone else.  It would be nice if they just became the Whalers again.

by the way cool pic, #22 one of my all time favorite devils

exactly....horrific OT losses (the fvck does Kevin Weekes make that save) us getting goals called off. Carolina getting suspicious powerplays late in the game

Forgeting the curse stuff, Carolina just matches up well against us. I know Boston is a lot better, but I think our odds of beating Boston are just as good as our odds of beating Carolina.

That said, I just want to get in. Anything can happen when you're there.

Looks like we will finish from 5-8th. Habs and Bruins and Penguins look very likely to occupying 1st, 2nd and 4th (order can be different.). While Canes and Jets are fighting for SE title. Of the five teams mentioned, I would rank Penguins as the best choice given their playoff choking styles the last couple years. Montreal is next because Brodeur plays his best hockey against them. Winnipeg would be my third choice because at least on paper, our team looks better. Canes and Bruins are equally intimidating as Bruins look solid and Canes always have our numbers. So, there are too many variables but hopefully this team won't face Boston and Carolina in the opening round.

As stated before, anywhere 1st-8th is fine by me. After that it is anyone's guess. Not sure we have a SCF roster, may need to bring in a few names in the summer plus we have Boucher coming through which may be interesting. For this season, target surely has to be make the playoffs as a minimum.

So...0-2-1 since this thread was created. Next person to make a bad juju thread like this should tarred and feathered. Just sayin'.