Might it be the time for Lou to retire?

TravisZajac

I don't post too often on here..I've seen lots of people(Mainly Devils fans)'s opinions about a new change of culture within the Devils organization. It might have come to the top of the top. The four last playoffs exits has come to two things that's making this team unstable : 1- Not being able to get the right coach(Which makes a lot of different systems over the years, different mentalities from coach to coach...etc) 2- Not being able to fix that D. Teams win with a great D. Just look at the previous champions of the anterior years. Or even the last four teams remaining in the playoffs, they all have great defensemens.

I'm not saying Lou is doing a bad job as a GM..I've loved his moves like I've hated some of his. Lou's gonna be 68years old coming october(I think?), Brodeur's 38 years old(Sixth may) There's 2years-3years TOPS before Brodeur retire, and it'll be hard for the Devils if they do not fix that D or keep being an unstable franchise.

It has to come for Lou to really do something this Off-season. (Which has happened not often in the past.) I'm not that pessimist or optism for the next few years..I'm just saying we should be glad Lou brought the fans(and Brodeur) all the glory to the Devils's organization. It might be the time for him to step down and renew a new culture within the Devils's organization.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted Lou has made a lot more mistakes than usual these past few years (Sutter, JL, Kovalchuk, Peters) but overall I don't think anyone could have kept us so competitive (2010 aside) over the last decade.

Lou is still the best GM in Sports.

The intriguing part of this is that Lou, at 68, could retire anytime he damn well pleases. How Vanderbeek chooses to move forward from there, if there is no current contingency plan (read: nepotism) in place will be an interesting, franchise-defining moment, especially since Brodeur would most likely be gone at that time.

As for his "mistakes", I can't say that Kovalchuk was a mistake. He knew that he had to have a premier scorer on his team to have a puncher's chance of winning the Cup, and based on that he traded for the best scorer available. There's no WAY Lou could have known the team would tank it so badly in the Flyers series.

But knowing that now, and how he reacts this offseason in response, will be a huge determining factor in how the team does moving forward.

Every year people (including me) bitch about Lou doing nothing at the deadline and not reacting to the past playoff failures. Now that he made a move and it didn't work 100%, some would crucify him. Hey, the Kovy deal was right. Sure, giving up a 1st and Bergfors will be a pain if we don't re-sign Kovy. But keep in mind people expected a lot more to go the other way in that trade. Plus, we got rid of Cormier, who would be dead weigh. Oduya wasn't kicking ass this year either and we traded Bergfors after he was held pointless in God knows how many games. So, really, Lou couldn't have given them less. If he traded a guy like Elias or Zajac in that package, it would hurt a lot more.

This year, Lou at least tried. I wanted him to do it, he did it, it didn't quite work out the way we hoped, but it's not like we traded half the team.

Granted Lou has made a lot more mistakes than usual these past few years (Sutter, JL, Kovalchuk, Peters) but overall I don't think anyone could have kept us so competitive (2010 aside) over the last decade.

I am sorry to disagree but the Devils haven't been competitive since 2003.

Since the lockout Lou has made many bad contracts. Lou has lost a number of players that would have been better to be a Devil. The Devils strategy has been a failure since 2003.

Why would you keep him because of his history in this sport that"s as good as yesterday.

Please say Good bye Lou.

Edited by LucifersDog

Since the lockout Lou has made many bad contracts. Lou has lost a number of players that would have been better to be a Devil. The Devils strategy has been a failure since 2003.

Why would you keep him because of his history in this sport that"s as good as yesterday.

Please say Good bye Lou.

+1

Please say Good bye Lou.

Say it ain't so.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Peters is the only one I think anyone could agree with.

Sutter took a team that was supposed to finally miss the playoffs and made them again one of the best teams in the league (regular season wise)

Lemaire had us atop the league at one point on a very injured team. We had a horrible matchup in the playoff and a bad second half. I think if we had any matchup we would have gotten through at least to the second.

Kovalchuk...would have done the deal over again. Would have loved to see him play under Sutter.

Look at the majority of other GM's in the league and I would bet their borderline rearview mirror mistakes would be more significant than Lous.

Besides San Jose I'd say the big shots in the league this year were all built by their team sucking so bad they loaded up with draft picks (pitts, wash, chi)

Detroit and NJ are still the only constant competitors...

Edit: Legit Lou mistakes: Rolston, Peters, & Skimping on D.

Edited by oofrostonoo

Whoa TZ, where the hell have you been?

And.. reading that post... why the hell did you come back? Haha nah, only kidding.

Well you know..Cegep(School before going into University)(27hours etc)+ working 20hours+ of job..

You got into Miami?

To be honest with you, I wanted to be sincere with the Devils's future. Brodeur'll retire(It'll be a very sad day..) and Lou isn't getting any younger. He might be one of the best GMs of all time(Pollock beats him..even though Lou cites him as an influence.) The fact is, this isn't 2003 anymore. I wonder sometime if Lou is really to be blamed for the recent failures.. He had to face the loss of Daneyko,Stevens,Niedermayer and Rafalski. Lou helped the Devils staying on top, but I'll not be surprised when Brodeur and Lou retires, the Devils goes into 4+years of rebuilding

Besides San Jose I'd say the big shots in the league this year were all built by their team sucking so bad they loaded up with draft picks (pitts, wash, chi)

Detroit and NJ are still the only constant competitors...

Does anyone think that maybe in the "new NHL" it's better to follow the strategy of "suck, build high draft picks, win, suck, repeat" or the Devils strategy of "remain at a good, but not elite, level and always build for the future"??

Maybe Lou is using outdated tactics that worked better pre-lockout.. He keeps us good enough to make the playoffs but the teams that build up a ton of superstars (as a result of tanking for years) end up being better and beating us..

The Florida Marlins use the first strategy well in baseball.. They'll suck for a few years, then build up a championship team for a season or two, and then dump all the high priced players for sucky players again.. It makes some years bad but when you have a championship season it feels so damn good..

The thing is - these teams don't use those strategies - usually - on purpose.

Well you never intentionally tank for a few seasons but the Pens went from good in the early 90's to bad when they got Fluery, Malkin, and Crosby.. They obviously did something to go from good to bad, even if it was an error.. I'm just saying, maybe you can't win as easily if you try to be consistently good because there's always going to be a team or two that's going all out to win that year at any cost so you'll lose to them.. Sure, in 5 years they'll have nothing and wont be in the playoffs but you'll be consistently making the playoffs only to lose to the team that's going all out that year

Edited by Colin226

Well you never intentionally tank for a few seasons but the Pens went from good in the early 90's to bad when they got Fluery, Malkin, and Crosby.. They obviously did something to go from good to bad, even if it was an error.. I'm just saying, maybe you can't win as easily if you try to be consistently good because there's always going to be a team or two that's going all out to win that year at any cost so you'll lose to them.. Sure, in 5 years they'll have nothing and wont be in the playoffs but you'll be consistently making the playoffs only to lose to the team that's going all out that year

Yea they were in bankruptcy.

Lou wont rebuild. He's afraid that our delicate attendance situation will hit critical mass. This team needs to rebuild. But can it survive the impending low attendance while it does? We dont really know if Lou is capable of rebuilding anymore. The finances are in the way. We DO know that he can maintain a good regular season team, though.

The Penguins have.

A good way to spot a stupid Devils fan is when they say Lou needs to retire.

Disagree. It may not be the correct answer, but a critically-thinking Devils fan should spend some time considering the question and not just dismiss it out of hand. Like it or not, this franchise is fast approaching a crossroads (if it's not already there). The retirements of Brodeur and Lamoriello are looming, and it's natural to wonder whether we'd be better off having those happen sooner rather than later.

The Penguins have.

And they came pretty damn close to leaving town a couple times in the process.

Peteyvegas makes a good point. The team needs to rebuild, but it may not be able to survive the process. I fear that Lou (or his successor) may end up trying a Rangers-style rebuild where you're bumbling along with no real direction for years, hoping to get lucky with a hot-shot prospect or a gathering of good free agents.

A good way to spot a stupid Devils fan is when they say Lou needs to retire.

Why don't you can it? Your statement is the ignorant one.

I don't think Lou needs to retire, but the suggestion is not as outlandish as you say it is. He has been the GM of a team that has been a playoff flop ever since the last championship. Two times reached the second round, two times dispatched easily. He has not done a great job hiring coaches, and this past year was a clusterfvck with Lemaire vs. the players.

Disagree. It may not be the correct answer, but a critically-thinking Devils fan should spend some time considering the question and not just dismiss it out of hand. Like it or not, this franchise is fast approaching a crossroads (if it's not already there). The retirements of Brodeur and Lamoriello are looming, and it's natural to wonder whether we'd be better off having those happen sooner rather than later.

Peteyvegas makes a good point. The team needs to rebuild, but it may not be able to survive the process. I fear that Lou (or his successor) may end up trying a Rangers-style rebuild where you're bumbling along with no real direction for years, hoping to get lucky with a hot-shot prospect or a gathering of good free agents.

I think he's done an OK hiring coaches btw. Sutter was fine, but then wanted to go home. Lou possibly knew that was coming, but hindsight is hindsight - he led them to two very good regular seasons. When he was hired, it was called a dynamite signing - and many people here were excited.

JL perhaps wasn't - but I never thought he was brought in here to win a cup. I thought he was here as a bridge for someone younger, and was here briefly to teach the Zachs and Zajacs nuances of the game that someone with his smarts could do. I hope he did that. At least earlier in the season, we heard a lot about that.

Julien? ClusterF.

About the Rangers style rebuild - those teams traded horribly and badly drafted. Lou hasn't made that many bad trades, we can go back and forth on Kovy if you want. Drafting sucks when you are #24 every year, but somehow we have Zach, Travis, Josefson, Tedenby, Urbom, and others coming. He's doing a good a job as he can.

Besides, you're going to see Lou help pick his successor. It may even be Chris.

I really don't see this team needs to crash-course rebuild. Alter its style of play, probably. Change the direction, yes. But a rebuild? What a strange word. Does rebuilding mean trading all of the good players away for picks?

We have a very good core here. Up front we Parise, Zajac, down the middle soon we're going to have Zajac, Josefson, and Henrique (this is all, from what we've seen - most likely? no?). If we sign Parise long term - we have our captain for the next decade at least.

On wing, we have a decent guy in Tedenby hopefully, and if they decide to sign Kovy then he'll be here for a period of time as well. Wings are usually easier to sign and trade for.

We need to rebuild the defense a little bit, but it's not like our D is complete garbage. Martin is in his prime and is an excellent D. Green is serviceable. White, Sal are good cogs (they really are people). We have a few good D in the wings. We, without a doubt, need a major impact Defenseman - that will let our D who we have now all be slotted correctly and not have to do things they can't do in crunch time. They need the #1 guy - which is the hardest thing to get in hockey - so it maybe a while.

You can't just actively burn the house down. No one does that on purpose. It's the bad decisions that always lead teams losing, then deciding "we are going to start over." Well - the Devils don't need to do that.

The playoff failures mean something, absolutely. But so does the division championships. For my money, it means we're closer to winning a cup, then having to rebuild.

Edited by HellOnICE

My guess is that they both retire at the same time. Brodeur stated that one of the things he and Lou agreed on when he signed his extension was that Lou would be GM for the duration of the contract.

Oh, I don't in anyway support such a thing. I'm just saying that's how Pittsburgh can manage to get Lemieux, Jagr, Malkin, Crosby, etc. Extreme highs and lows.

It will be so incredibly interesting to see who takes over this team when Lou goes.