Devils avoid arbitration and re-sign Travis Zajac to multi-year contra

Maddog

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou knows he is our #1 center and has become a very important piece to our offense and defense. Travis has become a excellent two way player and compliments Parise well... Sure some will say that Zajac is nothing without parise but i will argue that point till death. Zajac compliments parise just as much as Parise compliments Travis...... I am THRILLED about this signing!!!

Very smart move Lou.

Thank you Lou, and to boot we definitely got him cheaper than if he went to arbitration so maybe that frees up another million for a 2nd line center

Do you happen to know what Zajac's terms are or just speculating?

no its speculation. But its gotta be cheaper than arbitration

Edited by Elias FTW

"He's developed into a core player and getting him long-term I think is good for both him and his growth and for the organization," Lamoriello told me this morning.

When I asked Lamoriello if "long-term" means longer than two years," he replied simply, "it's long-term."

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/07/devils-avoid-arbitration-and-resign-travis-zajac.html

Very smart move Lou.

Thank you Lou, and to boot we definitely got him cheaper than if he went to arbitration so maybe that frees up another million for a 2nd line center

Do you happen to know what Zajac's terms are or just speculating?

no its speculation. But its gotta be cheaper than arbitration

If it was a short deal maybe, TG suggests its long term, and if Lou is buying some FA years he will have to pay for it, which means an average cap hit close to what he would have gotten in arbitration. but we shall know soon enough for sure.

Rich Chere has an interview w/ Travis. Looks like a four year deal.

Also some news on Shanny -----> http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/07/travis_zajac_signed_by_new_jer.html#more

Lamoriello said he will now have discussions with coach Jacques Lemaire about whether it would help the Devils to bring Brendan Shanahan back. Shanahan is an unrestricted free agent.

Edited by Maddog2009

A bright spot in a dark off-season.

What's been so dark about it?

Did you want Gionta back at the money Montreal gave him?

Did you want Madden back? And Rupp?

Wasn't re-signing Oduya a bright spot?

Is it so terrible that some new blood is coming into the lineup? This team has won two playoff rounds since winning the '03 Cup. I'm all for some change.

yeah an off-season where we signed johnny oduya and travis zajac long-term. so dark.

For some reason Lou re-signing his own guys doesn't count. Only the guys he loses (which all teams in the cap era do).

Elias, Langenbrunner, White, Pandolfo (this one's not looking good so far, but it's hard to bat 1.000), Salvador, Oduya...not to mention some nice RFA signigns like Parise, Zajac, Martin...

Thank god! Now I can buy his Jersey =)

I had his jersey before his first NHL game played. Just knew the player he has become and knew he would fit right into with Parise already here ahead of him.

I have seen lots of Zajac 19 jerseys since then

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/07/zajac-happy-to-be-back-with-devils-for-four-more-years.html

Travis Zajac can now look forward to the 2009-10 season -- and his wedding coming up next month in Winnipeg rather than worry about an arbitration hearing on Friday.

Zajac said he signed a four-year deal, but would not reveal any of the monetary details of the contract.

Is it so terrible that some new blood is coming into the lineup? This team has won two playoff rounds since winning the '03 Cup. I'm all for some change.

Yeah but they didn't even make gionta an offer. You don't think he would have considered taking less to save his family the trouble of the move? I find it strange Lou didn't even make a low offer any offer at all...

yeah an off-season where we signed johnny oduya and travis zajac long-term. so dark.

yeah .. we truly upgraded our team. .. pleeze tri Im giving it a break to somewhere after xmas ... dont get me going again.

Yeah but they didn't even make gionta an offer. You don't think he would have considered taking less to save his family the trouble of the move? I find it strange Lou didn't even make a low offer any offer at all...

Even if he was willing to take less, how much less would it have been? Not to mention that his goal-scoring totals had declined for four straight seasons. I don't think Lou wanted him back, and with former first-rounder Bergfors looking like he's ready to become a full-time NHLer, I think it was the right time to move on.