2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

How does it result in mediocre teams getting the most ideal matchups?  If you win your division, you play a wild card team, if you finish 2nd or 3rd in your division, you play the 3rd or 2nd place team.  If you squeak in as a wild card team, you have to play a team that won their division.

Right now, we just have one conference a lot better than the other. Not sure why he would complain about the new system. But, whatever 'such a joke league' works too.

The only difference the new playoff format changed in the WC is LA played SJ instead of St Louis. The main problem was Anaheim and Colorado somehow finishing 1st and 2nd.

C'mon LA x 10000000000. I want Gaborik to get his revenge.

I want a Gaborik goal in Game 4 OT to win the Cup in Madison Square Garden. The amount of jokes you could make about a Stanley Cup win in MSG are endless.

Edited by DJ Eco

I heard the Rags' Eastern Conference hats and t-shirts say '2014 Eastern Conference... Well, we had to give it to someone after Boston lost'. Any truth?

I saw the hats on nhl.com and I have to say their locker room t-shirts are much nicer than ours from 2012.

However their locker room hats look like ass.

I want a Gaborik goal in Game 4 OT to win the Cup in Madison Square Garden. The amount of jokes you could make about a Stanley Cup win in MSG are endless.

I also hope Gaborik wins the Conn Smythe and they have to present it to him at the Garden. I may die from laughing if that happens lmao.

That would be just a little too perfect. Given how this season has been, I am not going to hold my breath.

Oh I know... Trust me, I know lol. As long as LA (or Chicago, since I don't want to count them out) wins, I don't care who wins the Conn Smythe- they could give it to the Queen for all I care. The scenario I painted was the absolute dream scenario.

LA or Chicago will absolutely massacre the Rangers. Let us all take consolation that the West has been so much more superior than the East this year. The Rangers have played some awful opponents. They will be in for a rude awakening.

I work in a building with approximately 750 people and so far I have seen at least a half-dozen people wearing Rags jerseys and at least 20 people wearing rags shirts.

All in abosute pristine condition I may say.  Almost like they bought these in the last 2 weeks.

LA or Chicago will absolutely massacre the Rangers. Let us all take consolation that the West has been so much more superior than the East this year. The Rangers have played some awful opponents. They will be in for a rude awakening.

Common sense tells us that and yet the luck factor has been working for the Rangers all month now. Like, I'm just imagining Quick and Williams getting injured in first period of game 1. THAT'S the kind of sh!t that's been going right for the Rangers.

Common sense tells us that and yet the luck factor has been working for the Rangers all month now. Like, I'm just imagining Quick and Williams getting injured in first period of game 1. THAT'S the kind of sh!t that's been going right for the Rangers.

That's what I'm afraid of- injuries. It scares the sh!t outta me that something will happen to Doughty or Quick or Kopitar or Kane or Toews or someone mucho important that will hand the Rags yet another series before it even starts.

I work in a building with approximately 750 people and so far I have seen at least a half-dozen people wearing Rags jerseys and at least 20 people wearing rags shirts.

All in abosute pristine condition I may say. Almost like they bought these in the last 2 weeks.

And this is in Jersey? These people should be embarrassed with themselves. Some people just have no shame and will do anything to be associated with a team that's winning. Probably because they have low self-esteem.

And this is in Jersey? These people should be embarrassed with themselves. Some people just have no shame and will do anything to be associated with a team that's winning. Probably because they have low self-esteem.

Yeah its an office building in Somerset.

Some of the same people wearing brand new Rags crap are the same people who were wearing Devils stuff back at this time of year in 2012.  Low self-esteem is probably right.

Yeah its an office building in Somerset.

Some of the same people wearing brand new Rags crap are the same people who were wearing Devils stuff back at this time of year in 2012. Low self-esteem is probably right.

That's even more pathetic. I just can't take people like that seriously. Its sad that there are people out there that just jump on any bandwagon that comes around without seemingly any discrimination whatsoever, because that's just atrocious.

Just listened to a group of people outside my office talking about what a great game it was last night, how amazing Lundqvist was in "redeeming himself" from game 5, and now "lets make a run at Stanley Cup."

None of these people have ever discussed hockey before today. I have respect for the true fans who are always with their team, but to quote the late great Gorilla Monsoon, "well, Jessie, I hope they reinforced the ring bandwagon for this one."

That's even more pathetic. I just can't take people like that seriously. Its sad that there are people out there that just jump on any bandwagon that comes around without seemingly any discrimination whatsoever, because that's just atrocious.

MD2020, I disagree.. That's how sports and franchises grow. With success breeds more fans. Yes, you have fans that never care about the sport, all of a sudden showing interest, but that's how it goes. Having been part of a city where everything and everyone stopped for a Stanley Cup run, seeing hundreds of thousands get caught up in it for whatever their reasons...it was cool to see. Everyone was on the bandwagon to an extent. 

As for the new apparel..that's par for the course. When the Devils went to the Cup finals, I bet a lot of people picked up new gear. I know I thought about getting a new Kovalchuk jersey to replace my 10-year-old Devils jersey. I wanted to have something new and shiny to wear around town. No one would ever question my fan allegiance before or after a purchase, but for some reason I just wanted something new.

There are some sad people that just need to root for a winner. It's the Bulls fans that became Lakers fans than Heat fans. It's the ones that became Patriots fans or Broncos fans all of a sudden. Those people need to cheer for a winner and be happy, and in a way, I can't blame them. Sports brings so much misery. It's supposed to be a distraction, so why not make sure you are enjoying it. Sure, the good times aren't nearly as good, but it's always good times.

MD2020, I disagree.. That's how sports and franchises grow. With success breeds more fans. Yes, you have fans that never care about the sport, all of a sudden showing interest, but that's how it goes. Having been part of a city where everything and everyone stopped for a Stanley Cup run, seeing hundreds of thousands get caught up in it for whatever their reasons...it was cool to see. Everyone was on the bandwagon to an extent.

As for the new apparel..that's par for the course. When the Devils went to the Cup finals, I bet a lot of people picked up new gear. I know I thought about getting a new Kovalchuk jersey to replace my 10-year-old Devils jersey. I wanted to have something new and shiny to wear around town. No one would ever question my fan allegiance before or after a purchase, but for some reason I just wanted something new.

There are some sad people that just need to root for a winner. It's the Bulls fans that became Lakers fans than Heat fans. It's the ones that became Patriots fans or Broncos fans all of a sudden. Those people need to cheer for a winner and be happy, and in a way, I can't blame them. Sports brings so much misery. It's supposed to be a distraction, so why not make sure you are enjoying it. Sure, the good times aren't nearly as good, but it's always good times.

If you were wearing Devils gear two years ago and now you're wearing Rangers gear, then you were never a real fan to begin with. I can see people in NY jumping on the bandwagon- that's THEIR team. But people from Jersey? No. Sorry, that's garbage. You're from Jersey, and were wearing Devils gear in 2012, but now you're wearing Ranger gear? fvck the fvck right off. People who 'need' to cheer for a winner never had any kind of emotional attachment to a team before. They're fvcking phonies.

Just listened to a group of people outside my office talking about what a great game it was last night, how amazing Lundqvist was in "redeeming himself" from game 5, and now "lets make a run at Stanley Cup."

None of these people have ever discussed hockey before today. I have respect for the true fans who are always with their team, but to quote the late great Gorilla Monsoon, "well, Jessie, I hope they reinforced the ring bandwagon for this one."

Sounds like general water cooler talk. We are guilty of it in other things (since we are all clearly sports fans, it won't be guilty with sports). Try and brush up on something you aren't really familiar with and talk about it.

I know you are dealing with this in NY/NJ, but this is just how the world works. I follow tennis year-round from the lower levels to the main tour. The average tennis fans just watches the Grand Slam if someone from their country is in it. In Canada, we now have a great male and a great women's player for the first time ever. People take notice 4 times a year if they go far. I've been watching these two rise up for 4-5 years and for me seeing someone I want to win would be the ultimate. For others, it would be incredible too, but I know it mean less. It is what it is and if it grows tennis in the country, so be it.

It's a shame, for whatever reason, when the Devils have had their Cup runs, it didn't take over major cities and the state. It's the way it is with their being Flyers territory and a Rangers fans in big pockets. The bandwagon wasn't as strong, but I am pretty sure everyone would love it if everywhere you went it was Devils pride all the time, even if it just started at that moment from people who weren't always interested in Devils hockey.

If you were wearing Devils gear two years ago and now you're wearing Rangers gear, then you were never a real fan to begin with. I can see people in NY jumping on the bandwagon- that's THEIR team. But people from Jersey? No. Sorry, that's garbage. You're from Jersey, and were wearing Devils gear in 2012, but now you're wearing Ranger gear? fvck the fvck right off. People who 'need' to cheer for a winner never had any kind of emotional attachment to a team before. They're fvcking phonies.

That we can agree on. That's some weak sh!t right there.

Edited by devilsrule33

That's pretty much it.  They are not replacing their old Rags gear, they are either buying Rags gear for the first time after never caring about hockey or in some cases trading in their Devils gear from 2012 for 2014 Rags gear.  Pathetic.

Also was listening to Francesa on my lunch (big mistake on my part) and he actually had a Rags fan caller on the line.  The caller actually called Stephane Matteau "one of the greatest players in hockey history."  I kid you not.

That's pretty much it. They are not replacing their old Rags gear, they are either buying Rags gear for the first time after never caring about hockey or in some cases trading in their Devils gear from 2012 for 2014 Rags gear. Pathetic.

Also was listening to Francesa on my lunch (big mistake on my part) and he actually had a Rags fan caller on the line. The caller actually called Stephane Matteau "one of the greatest players in hockey history." I kid you not.

Lmfao. This is the type of idiocy we have to deal with. Yeah, he's right up there with Orr and Gretzky. A fvcking legend rofl. In all seriousness, I'm shocked those clowns haven't retired Matteau's number yet. Wait, that'll be next. And knowing them, they'd wait to do it on a night where we were playing them too. No sports-talk radio today for me, I only listen after Rag losses.

Sounds like general water cooler talk. We are guilty of it in other things (since we are all clearly sports fans, it won't be guilty with sports). Try and brush up on something you aren't really familiar with and talk about it.

I know you are dealing with this in NY/NJ, but this is just how the world works. I follow tennis year-round from the lower levels to the main tour. The average tennis fans just watches the Grand Slam if someone from their country is in it. In Canada, we now have a great male and a great women's player for the first time ever. People take notice 4 times a year if they go far. I've been watching these two rise up for 4-5 years and for me seeing someone I want to win would be the ultimate. For others, it would be incredible too, but I know it mean less. It is what it is and if it grows tennis in the country, so be it.

It's a shame, for whatever reason, when the Devils have had their Cup runs, it didn't take over major cities and the state. It's the way it is with their being Flyers territory and a Rangers fans in big pockets. The bandwagon wasn't as strong, but I am pretty sure everyone would love it if everywhere you went it was Devils pride all the time, even if it just started at that moment from people who weren't always interested in Devils hockey.

Thanks for the lesson on "how the world works." This is a Devils forum, and Devils fans who live in the NY/NJ area are discussing the incoming bandwagon of brand new Ranger fans who can name Lundqvist and 3 players from 20 years ago. We are going to be dealing with these fakes for years to come, and some of us just want to share our frustration with each other.

• Like 1