Elias to explore free-agent market

LucifersDog

So I guess my point is Lou will offer Elias a lot of money as well. I just hope he remains a Devil. I was already crushed once... with Niedermayer.

Right, but you can't really compare Niedermayer to Elias. Niedermayer wanted to bolt. It was obvious. He turned down a long term deal in 2004, I believe, and also played some games in the IHL while holding out in '00. Elias has made it clear that he wants to stay with the Devils. That was something Niedermayer never did.

Elias is NOT worth 7-8 million.......

I dont care what anyone says.

Devils are a team and franchise that needs fiscal balance.

Supposedly, Lou's max offer was a last ditch attempt to keep Nieds here, and maybe to save face. He knew Nieds was heading west, and offered the keys to the bank to try and convince him.

Question. How much does Brodeur make? 5 or a little more?

I say Elias gets between 5.5-6 and he stays.

1) Since Elias is on record saying they started negotiations, and what the Devils had had to offer is not so close (I don’t care if Neverson passed it on with a negative spin – it is what was said). I think Lou will offer the max before 7/1 (this has to be inline with Derek's numbers above -- no higher if they want to stay competitive) and when Elias says “no,” Lou has no choice but to consider him gone then. This has to be something between Niedermayer and Mogilny/Nieuwendyke negotiations. Elias’s agent, whomever he may be, needs to understand Lou doesn't play games. What is offered before 7/1 is what's on the table - end of story.

**Is there anyone in the hockey business (player or agent) who can set us straight? What is the protocol for negotiations? I can speak from the entertainment industry’s stand point – there is no real code of honor amongst talent agents and cast directors/producers – it’s there but it’s pretty much ignored unless you stand to gain something from respecting it. No code amongst business recruiters because the pool is so huge- turnover so high it doesn’t much matter if you step on toes here or there. Hockey is a pretty small community so I’d imagine some things are just not gentlemanly – thus not done.

What I’m asking is can Lou have the offer out to Elias and once told “we’ll get back to you when we do” a la Epp, can he then extend another offer to someone like Chara effectively screwing one or the other based on who excepts first? It’s not quite cricket – but it’s the only way to protect yourself against what I will affectionately refer to as the “Neidermayer Screw”

2) If Elias needs to take all the time he needs to be happy ??? Honestly as I said in the other post I just hope he understands the Devils don’t have time to wait. How can you all be stoked about this?

It seems we are all sticking strictly to the Elias quotes (not so much writers interpretations of them) reading quotes and interpreting how we may. They are what they are. Like sundstrom, I can’t ignore the fact Patty said basically “I don’t want to struggle during the regular season because it’s no damned fun” Well – Rangers didn’t struggle. What hurts Patty more being swept in the first round or having a great 82 days? It’s a legitimate question and I wouldn’t blame him either way honestly.

Edited by Pepperkorn