Schnieder and Greene Get USA Olympic Snubbed

msweet

Jack Johnson and Callahan (in any sort of scoring role) being "locks" immediately kills any hope I had that the US team was being run by competent individuals.

Honest to God, Jack Johnson?  Have they not watched him play?  He's AWFUL in his own zone.  Yet he's a lock...

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.  We are relying heavily on guys that have spent the better part of this season injured.  Plus, leaving a bonafide goal scorer in his prime at home because he's "not intense" and skates "sleepy" is a risky move for a team that will likely struggle to score goals against the top competition.  Yet again, in 2010 nobody thought much of the American team and they came a goal away from gold.

As for Ryan, he's not a play driver, but he does look to be one of the few shooting percentage drivers.  I dunno.  That's a tough call for me, though I guess the US does have room for that.  Still, he wears a defenseman's number as a forward.

so did russ courtnall (thanks to nhl '94, i remember this). to be fair, 9 was taken by michalek when ryan got there.

Jack Johnson and Callahan (in any sort of scoring role) being "locks" immediately kills any hope I had that the US team was being run by competent individuals.

Honest to God, Jack Johnson?  Have they not watched him play?  He's AWFUL in his own zone.  Yet he's a lock...

Johnson's a joke. Callahan's a perfect 4th liner for an Olympic team. Good enough to be there, willing to play the dirty role. If they use him right (limit his minutes, not expect a ton of scoring), he's a good fit.

Schneider really wasn't snubbed, quick and miller were safely ahead of him. Howard is a head scratcher I kind of think they chose him over bishop simply because they wanted a red wing to announce at the winter classic.

And Greene as a snub is a bit of a stretch. He definitely should be in the conversation and is better than orpik but IMO he's about the 7th or 8th best US dman going now, so not really a "snub".

This was good... But im so hoping subban doesnt make team canada. Now THATS gonna be an outcry of epic proportion lol

...don't you want Canada to win? Shouldn't the Norris trophy winner ya know be on the team even if you hate Montreal? 

This was good... But im so hoping subban doesnt make team canada. Now THATS gonna be an outcry of epic proportion lol

I hope so too, Canada putting together a lesser team would be beneficial.

The Habs have outscored their opposition 125–85 at 5v5 with Subban on the ice since 2011. They’ve been outscored 167–201 with him on the bench.

...don't you want Canada to win? Shouldn't the Norris trophy winner ya know be on the team even if you hate Montreal? 

well he's certainly not a lock and Yzerman is hesitant putting him on the team, nothing to do with my mtl hate. Even some Habs fans are admitting he shouldnt be more than a 7th-8th dman on the team. He's still making so many mistakes and he won the norris playing half a season when everything went well for them, in a full season he was not getting it.

Again thing is im watching the games and most of the people here are watching stats sheets. The game against us is a perfect example, horrible turnover that gave us the 3-2 lead late in the game. Then he slewfoot Elias and they get the tying goal while he's on the ice. On paper he was even after those plays, 2 sh!tty plays.

plus earlier this season Therrien was benching him late in games and was not putting him when they were protecting a one goal lead late. Why would you put a guy like that on an olympic roster ahead of guys who are way better defensively and safer. 

Weber, Doughty, Letang, Keith, Pietrangelo, Boyle, Seabrook are all ahead of him on my list and they can all put up points too and are better defensively.

Edited by SterioDesign

well he's certainly not a lock and Yzerman is hesitant putting him on the team, nothing to do with my mtl hate. 

I don't think Yzerman has confirmed that any player is on the team. Obviously that's because no-one is asking about them but everyone is asking about Subban. 

Again thing is im watching the games and most of the people here are watching stats sheets.

Pretty douchy comment, no?

I don't think Yzerman has confirmed that any player is on the team. Obviously that's because no-one is asking about them but everyone is asking about Subban. 

Pretty douchy comment, no?

why would that be douchy? It's like anyone not watching the Kings play at all for example saying that Kopitar is not "that good" by numbers or wtv but they don't watch and see all the little things he does that help and are not showing on stat sheets, it goes both ways. 

And thats why Elias is so underrated and that we know, cause we watch him.

Edited by SterioDesign

why would that be douchy? It's like anyone not watching the Kings play at all for example saying that Kopitar is not "that good" by numbers or wtv but they don't watch and see all the little things he does that help and are not showing on stat sheets, it goes both ways. 

And thats why Elias is so underrated and that we know, cause we watch him.

If the 'douchy' comment went over your head then I guess there's no need to further discuss that. If you don't get that then it says everything. 

Both Kopitar and Elias have terrific possession/territorial stats, so I don't know what you're trying to prove there. Those are players the stats community have known are great for years. If anything they are underappreciated by people who "watch the games", because their eyes don't tell them everything. Stats aren't a substitute for eyes, they add to what the eyes see.

Subban is a top 5 defensmen in the world right now. They'd be crazy not to take him and the hate against him (not necessarily on this board but other areas of the internets) really makes me wonder about the reasons behind it...

Green was top dman in terms of pts and all in 2010 yet he didnt crack the lineup and proved why in the playoffs later that year. Nothing wrong with wanting great 2 way players on your team. PK is not, not yet anyway. Might be a distraction for players too and i heard thats something Yzerman was worried about.

Green was top dman in terms of pts and all in 2010 yet he didnt crack the lineup and proved why in the playoffs later that year. Nothing wrong with wanting great 2 way players on your team. PK is not, not yet anyway. Might be a distraction for players too and i heard thats something Yzerman was worried about.

Subban is a much better defenseman than Mike Green.  He's a better defenseman than probably anyone who makes Team Canada.