Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

yes rolston has a no-trade clause. i don't think lou would move him anyway.

I gave Rolston a lot of sh!t early on this season but I still have faith in the guy. He has been streaky as all hell but he has also showed some good flashes and much better effort. I really believe he could be salvaged pending we get somebody do play with the damn guy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far far far from a hockey expert but I'd like to believe that he really doesn't believe that this team is set with the current roster. Maybe they can win a round, possibly 2, but they're not contending for the Cup as currently constructed. Its just not happening.

I agree. But with Elias, Clarkson and Martin coming back (presumably healthy) by playoff time, combined with an acquisition or 2....this team could make a Cup run. I expect any acquisitions to be relatively minor compared to these Kovalchuk bombs flying around today...

Please - can anyone here really see this team winning against any WC team - Chicago, SJ - not happening. Not even WASH.

I have hard time believing that this team could win a 7 game series against anyone in the top 8 right now.

We've been ousted out of two 1st rounds the past 2 seasons:

a.) A bad defeat against a bitter rival

b.) A crushing defeat a the buzzer.

There's a lot of psychological baggage on this team.... and its basically the SAME team.

Add in the that the rookies have yet to prove that they will be key additions.

I am also not on the healthy Elias bandwagon. He's been always hurt, tired, or ineffective in the last 2 playoffs.

Last year, we lost one key player - LAgs - and it no doubt had an effect. What happens if same goes down this year? Are we dead in the water again?

The defense is not ONE person's fault. Simply removing Mottau, Oduya, or whoever won't do it. It needs an upgrade even if its just depth.

I hate to be a negative nelly, but this groups till needs pieces, and we all know what they are.

I agree. But with Elias, Clarkson and Martin coming back (presumably healthy) by playoff time, combined with an acquisition or 2....this team could make a Cup run. I expect any acquisitions to be relatively minor compared to these Kovalchuk bombs flying around today...

I agree that there is a nice foundation to work with here but I just don't have much faith right now that Lou addresses both the defense and the center positions. Obviously we need a center more but I refuse to believe that this defense is going to cut it even with Martin coming back.

Its the same trend every year. Sure there are injuries but you can already see it starting to tear at the seams. This is it now. Teams are battling like crazy for every point and the games get more difficult. The warts are starting to show.

I just don't think that the team getting healthy is going to be enough and I also don't want them to mortgage the future and attempt a run that might not even be there. Its not worth it.

Edited by SickMan

Please - can anyone here really see this team winning against any WC team - Chicago, SJ - not happening. Not even WASH.

I have hard time believing that this team could win a 7 game series against anyone in the top 8 right now.

We've been ousted out of two 1st rounds the past 2 seasons:

a.) A bad defeat against a bitter rival

b.) A crushing defeat a the buzzer.

There's a lot of psychological baggage on this team.... and its basically the SAME team.

Add in the that the rookies have yet to prove that they will be key additions.

I am also not on the healthy Elias bandwagon. He's been always hurt, tired, or ineffective in the last 2 playoffs.

Last year, we lost one key player - LAgs - and it no doubt had an effect. What happens if same goes down this year? Are we dead in the water again?

The defense is not ONE person's fault. Simply removing Mottau, Oduya, or whoever won't do it. It needs an upgrade even if its just depth.

I hate to be a negative nelly, but this groups till needs pieces, and we all know what they are.

Its not being negative, its just the truth. I'm probably one of the more positive people when it comes to this team and even I'm not expecting much out of them. They did so well the first half and the entire time we're thinking how the hell are they even playing this good? Something is wrong there. They're a good team for sure but not not to the point where you can seriously think about playing into the middle of May let alone June.

I guess we'll see what happens but it is what it is at this point. Let the pipe dreams for Kovalchuk commence.

Edited by SickMan

I agree that there is a nice foundation to work with here but I just don't have much faith right now that Lou addresses both the defense and the center positions. Obviously we need a center more but I refuse to believe that this defense is going to cut it even with Martin coming back.

Its the same trend every year. Sure there are injuries but you can already see it starting to tear at the seams. This is it now. Teams are battling like crazy for every point and the games get more difficult. The warts are starting to show.

I just don't think that the team getting healthy is going to be enough and I also don't want them to mortgage the future and attempt a run that might not even be there. Its not worth it.

I feel exactly the same way.

yes rolston has a no-trade clause. i don't think lou would move him anyway.

oh i think lou would absolutely deal him if he could but that NTC ends any and all conversation.

he's got his $

he's got his coach that leaves him alone and doesn't call him out

he likes NJ for his family

think about it, he's got 2 more years at $5MM which could be replaced with a $1MM winger. I mean, if rolston and his salary were gone, if he were so inclined, lou could easily fit $8MM on kovalchuk next year. the rolston contract is an absolute albatross.

rolston/bergfors/oduya/zharkov/ for kovalchuk/kubina/white

atlanta can't get a better return than that for now and for their future. it works for both teams - the devils actually clear $8MM in cap space which will help with resigning martin.

atlanta gets NHL talent - reasonable contracts that keep them over the floor.

the devils obviously get plenty of talent for a run and it changest the dimension of this team for this year.

rolston's NTC makes this whole exercise pointless though.

i don't think the devils, who already struggle to sign free agents, would put the knife in one like that. rolston has at least showed a mild interest in putting in some effort towards this team winning.

I don't think that matters though Tri, ROlly signed here because they gave him that 5th year.

I think the team can acquire Todd White instead of Kovalchuk, given that White would improve the faceoff while providing some offense on our 2nd line team. Of course, we don't need to give up much and White is hungry for his first cup too.

This is a good idea, but I don't think I want White here after this year, and he has another year at 2.5 mill

Oh thank god. :)

Regardless wasn't that why though. He gave him the extra year?

no - he had 4 year deals out there. lou overbid and gave the NTC. if i remember correctly, it was reported that he had about 14 offers of varying degrees but the devils offered the most + NTC.

i don't think the devils, who already struggle to sign free agents, would put the knife in one like that. rolston has at least showed a mild interest in putting in some effort towards this team winning.

why is this putting the knife in him? it just hasn't worked out here - that's pretty plain to see. and i couldn't disagree with you more regarding any interest he's putting in. he is the epitome of a floater of a hockey player - i'm not saying this as a hater or a knee jerk know-nothing fan. i think you know me long enough around here to know that i'll be reasonable and will give some leeway too. but unless the play comes to him, he's filler at best and a liability (like his bonehead turnover on goal 1) at worst.

again - this is semantics - i don't think lou would ask him to waive it because it means he's no longer wanted and he's bound to sulk and rolston likely wouldn't waive it anyway.

rolston and the devils right now are a lose-lose in all cases.

no - he had 4 year deals out there. lou overbid and gave the NTC. if i remember correctly, it was reported that he had about 14 offers of varying degrees but the devils offered the most + NTC.

Boy am I glad that the Devils are the ones who offered the longest contract for him.... :doh1: Hard to believe that 13 other teams were disillusioned by him as well....

why is this putting the knife in him? it just hasn't worked out here - that's pretty plain to see. and i couldn't disagree with you more regarding any interest he's putting in. he is the epitome of a floater of a hockey player - i'm not saying this as a hater or a knee jerk know-nothing fan. i think you know me long enough around here to know that i'll be reasonable and will give some leeway too. but unless the play comes to him, he's filler at best and a liability (like his bonehead turnover on goal 1) at worst.

again - this is semantics - i don't think lou would ask him to waive it because it means he's no longer wanted and he's bound to sulk and rolston likely wouldn't waive it anyway.

rolston and the devils right now are a lose-lose in all cases.

The only way I could see it working to move it if Holik convinced Rolly to go Atlanta. Bobby and Rolly are good friends, and Holik enjoyed his time in Atlanta for the most part. If Rolly is not wanted in NJ, he'd have a guy to call to ask how it might be.

Just something to thinka bout.

The only way I could see it working to move it if Holik convinced Rolly to go Atlanta. Bobby and Rolly are good friends, and Holik enjoyed his time in Atlanta for the most part. If Rolly is not wanted in NJ, he'd have a guy to call to ask how it might be.

Just something to thinka bout.

I don't know how eager Holik would be to help the Devils out by persuading Rolston to waive his NTC to go to ATL....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.