GDT - 12/23 Devils at Blackhawks

Mike Brown

Except there hasn't been a split.  Marty has played in 55% of the games.  And what does his ability to play the puck have to do with anything?

You seem to forget that the Devils also had a game where they only mustered up 14 shots against the Flyers when Marty was in net.  The disparity is nothing more than a coincidence, and eventually the team will start playing better in front of Schneider as well.  Like I've been saying, Schneider has had great games only to be benched the very next game.  That's what can't happen.  Yet Marty is allowed to have 2 stinkers in a row.

I'd also like to mention that on HF, you told me that .01 difference in SV% is very significant.  Remember when I argued that a .920 SV% and .910 SV% wasn't THAT much of a difference, and you came back explaining to me that the difference in GAA as a result was very significant?  Now you're telling me that a .910 SV% and a .900 SV% isn't significant at all.

I don't post on HF anymore, haven't for a couple of years

Edited by maxpower

Welcome to the Marty & Cory show !

Devils play the Blackhawks the second best team in the NHL. and ;lose 2-5

Devils have on the ice for 18 minutes Merrill a rockie D along with Gelinas another rookie D for 21 minutes and on the offensive side we had Gionta an AHL player for 10 mins, Josefson a ? player for 10 mins, Janssen another AHL player for 7 mins,Tedendy a ? player for 14 mins. And we expect to win or have a close game?

We have DeBoer and his system as coach dump and forecheck against a powerful Blackhawk D that schooled us. And we expect to win?

But now we are talking about a goalie dispute, how does that happen?

The Devils don't belong in the playoffs this season, period ! They are only a thought because the division has so many other teams that don't belong in the playoffs.

When are Devils fans going to understand that with the injuries, these players, DeBoer's bad player selections and marginal goal tending from both goalie to date this team doesn't belong in the NHL playoffs.

Yet the discussion is about the goaltending. Strange

Merry Christmas folks and Happy Holidays

The fact that we only managed 12 shots should be the main topic in this thread, not Schneider's performance.

seriously! its like complaining to the capt of the titanic that your coffee was served cold. the team was completely sufficated. the score was not a reflection on how bad they were handled last night. the hawks had little respect for our skaters, the gaps given were microscopic. only zajac looked like he belonged on the ice with those guys. deboer had no answer in his bag of tricks

Devils shoot 11.1% in front of Brodeur. They shoot 7.0% in front of Schneider. Out of 40 goalies with a minimum 15+ GP, that gives Brodeur the 2nd most favorable SH% support and Schneider one of the least favorable at 36th. Factor in normal regression towards the mean and Brodeur's record wouldn't look as good and Schneider's would look better than what it is now. I posted a few pages back that the Devils only give Schneider about 1.6 goals per game of support which is just over a full goal less than what Brodeur gets. I don't know where that ranks amongst NHL goalies but I imagine Schneider has to be right up there towards least favorable goal support.

Devils have lost 9 games in which Schneider has given up 3 goals or less, including 2 games where he gave up 2 goals.  When Brodeur gives up 3 goals or more the Devils have won 4 of those games. This is why I hate using W-L records since they don't tell the whole story.

This. I guess I missed the part of hockey camp growing up where they taught that the goalie is responsible for his team's offense and not the skaters.

I understand the whole goal support issue, but Deboer needs wins. At the end of the day, it's about getting those 2 points. Cory needs to win games to earn the number one spot. Deboer is going to go with the guy that the team is playing for, and it's up to Cory to gain the confidence of is team mates and coach. 

How come this wasn't a problem in Vancouver? How come his team "bailed him out" there while here is the exact opposite? It's not just him though he has not been impressive at all.

Better team.  If this little theory that his lack of puck playing effects how the team plays is real, it's not really saying anything about him, it's saying something about the team.  It's not doing him any favors, nor is the way Pete using him doing him any favors.  He needs a couple of soft games right now and they might as well have rolled Marty out there last night as the most likely outcome was a loss anyway.

I understand the whole goal support issue, but Deboer needs wins. At the end of the day, it's about getting those 2 points. Cory needs to win games to earn the number one spot. Deboer is going to go with the guy that the team is playing for, and it's up to Cory to gain the confidence of is team mates and coach. 

If it's about getting 2 points, well Deboer will never make the right decision. Right now, Brodeur has gotten tons of goal support and the much much much easier schedule. If you switched the schedule around, would this even be up for debate?

The last two games sum it up. Brodeur is atrocious in Washington and gets the win giving up 4 goals on 22 freaking shots. Schneider goes in against a team that is light years better and takes the loss giving up 5 goals on 37 shots. A good game? Certainly not, but a lot better than Brodeur.

Many nights Brodeur doesn't give this team a chance to win.The Devils lost to the Jackets less than two weeks ago 5-4 when giving up 23 shots. Brodeur did not make one solid save the entire night. When Schneider gets a start against a team like Columbus and loses when the team scores 4 goals in front of him when only giving up 23 shots, then I'll have cause for concern.

It's not really fair when you throw Cory vs Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Chicago, Detroit, and Montreal and Brodeur vs Washington, Tampa, Ottawa, and NY and compare it by wins and losses of the two goalies.

How do you justify giving Schneider 5 starts in a row? You keep saying "look at that LA game!!", but are you really going to tel me in his last few starts he's a bonifide #1 goalie? I don't care how poorly New Jersey played, 5 goals is 5 goals is 5 goals is 5 goals. When Marty let's them in, we all say "turn to Schneider next game". When Corey does, why can't we turn to Marty?

Just stop it...that is too rational a thought for the Marty haters in the room.  Too many people are willfully blind to Cory's mistakes, but are oh so quick to jump all over Brodeur for making the same ones.  Marty is a legend...rightly or wrongly, if Cory wants to take his job, he needs to be lights out and distance himself completely from Brodeur in every statistical category (most importantly in wins).  He hasn't done that yet hence the split.   

Plus, is anyone really surprised we went into Chicago and lost last night?  We are a middling .500 team.  They are the top team in the NHL, and a matchup nightmare for the Devils (they are way to fast in transition for our team to handle effectively).  We stunk but, overall, we are not in a bad position at this point in the season.  If you told me in September we'd be 1 point out of a playoff spot after the roster upheaval in the offseason, and the number of injuries we have had to endure, I would have taken it.

Just stop it...that is too rational a thought for the Marty haters in the room.  Too many people are willfully blind to Cory's mistakes, but are oh so quick to jump all over Brodeur for making the same ones.  Marty is a legend...rightly or wrongly, if Cory wants to take his job, he needs to be lights out and distance himself completely from Brodeur in every statistical category (most importantly in wins).  He hasn't done that yet hence the split.   

Plus, is anyone really surprised we went into Chicago and lost last night?  We are a middling .500 team.  They are the top team in the NHL, and a matchup nightmare for the Devils (they are way to fast in transition for our team to handle effectively).  We stunk but, overall, we are not in a bad position at this point in the season.  If you told me in September we'd be 1 point out of a playoff spot after the roster upheaval in the offseason, and the number of injuries we have had to endure, I would have taken it.

If not for his past couple games, his stats would stand out more. How is Schneider supposed to get in a rythym when, no matter what, he gets 2 games in a row and then doesn't see the ice for another week. I don't want to see Brodeur as the default starter because we all know that Schneider is the better goalie right now. Looking at this season they look like they're close, but over the past few, Schneider has already proven he's better. That's not the question here. Schneider needs to get 60-70% of the starts because he's better, period. Just because Marty got lucky and we score when he's in doesn't make him better. Schneider will get his sh!t together, but I think he needs an easier game to get back into it. One where we actually get a lead so he doesn't have to feel like every goal is another nail in the coffin.

Welcome to the Marty & Cory show !

Devils play the Blackhawks the second best team in the NHL. and ;lose 2-5

Devils have on the ice for 18 minutes Merrill a rockie D along with Gelinas another rookie D for 21 minutes and on the offensive side we had Gionta an AHL player for 10 mins, Josefson a ? player for 10 mins, Janssen another AHL player for 7 mins,Tedendy a ? player for 14 mins. And we expect to win or have a close game?

We have DeBoer and his system as coach dump and forecheck against a powerful Blackhawk D that schooled us. And we expect to win?

But now we are talking about a goalie dispute, how does that happen?

The Devils don't belong in the playoffs this season, period ! They are only a thought because the division has so many other teams that don't belong in the playoffs.

When are Devils fans going to understand that with the injuries, these players, DeBoer's bad player selections and marginal goal tending from both goalie to date this team doesn't belong in the NHL playoffs.

Yet the discussion is about the goaltending. Strange

Merry Christmas folks and Happy Holidays

... Pretty good post here people. And from LD no less, huh

Lay off the eggnog man, it's making you soft :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cory's played 7 games in the last 25 days, his slump ain't about how much he's playing. He's had zero goal support and seemingly always plays elite teams, of course he's not going to win. He's shell shocked right now and it's affecting his game, just look at what he said about the second goal...'that's the kind of thing that's been happening to me all season'. If that isn't a guy that's lacking confidence I don't know what is.

Cory's played 7 games in the last 25 days, his slump ain't about how much he's playing. He's had zero goal support and seemingly always plays elite teams, of course he's not going to win. He's shell shocked right now and it's affecting his game, just look at what he said about the second goal...'that's the kind of thing that's been happening to me all season'. If that isn't a guy that's lacking confidence I don't know what is.

I think you got it. Just give this guy a bone soon please.

If it's about getting 2 points, well Deboer will never make the right decision. Right now, Brodeur has gotten tons of goal support and the much much much easier schedule. If you switched the schedule around, would this even be up for debate?

The last two games sum it up. Brodeur is atrocious in Washington and gets the win giving up 4 goals on 22 freaking shots. Schneider goes in against a team that is light years better and takes the loss giving up 5 goals on 37 shots. A good game? Certainly not, but a lot better than Brodeur.

Many nights Brodeur doesn't give this team a chance to win.The Devils lost to the Jackets less than two weeks ago 5-4 when giving up 23 shots. Brodeur did not make one solid save the entire night. When Schneider gets a start against a team like Columbus and loses when the team scores 4 goals in front of him when only giving up 23 shots, then I'll have cause for concern.

It's not really fair when you throw Cory vs Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Chicago, Detroit, and Montreal and Brodeur vs Washington, Tampa, Ottawa, and NY and compare it by wins and losses of the two goalies.

Well said, agree fully

Well one of 2 things is about to happen... either Cory gets an easier start (Columbus or the Isles this weekend) or if they are going to keep protecting Brodeur, Cory will get a few games to get a rhythm (one of CLB or NYI, followed by Pittsburgh, then Chicago, with Marty getting Buffalo)

What the hell does the Devils shooters have to do with CS stopping the puck in the SO? When you get beat like a rented mule three straight times, does it matter?

CS was a tad late getting off the post in OT.I'm not the only one who said this. otherwise the deflection doesn't go in.

I'm talking out my ass but you're telling me he gets beat three straight times CLEAN in the SO and it's the Devils shooters fault. Alright!

The CS you've seen lately is not the goaltender as advertised. There's something off about his game. A great mind F job by his teammates and coach?

BTW...his save % is Dec is .878. That was before tonight. now, it's lower. He's given up 3 or more goals each game he's played.

and Marty's save percentage for the month of December is right around .850. So is he "mind fvcked" also?

You're looking for something that's not there. The simple answer is that the team has not played all that well, they give up high quality scoring chances on a regular basis.

and Marty's save percentage for the month of December is right around .850. So is he "mind fvcked" also?

You're looking for something that's not there. The simple answer is that the team has not played all that well, they give up high quality scoring chances on a regular basis.

Brodeur is a 41 year old goaltender. He's a coin flip as to what you're going to get each start and rightfully so. CS is in his prime and is regarded as a top goaltender in the NHL. 

I'm looking at what's there. And his month of December shows there's something clearly wrong with CS. He's not making saves and now he's prone to letting in a bad goal or two on his own accord (see stoppable shots, not deflections and flukes) which for the first two months he did not do.

Yah schneider lost confidence... but hey he would need back to back start and more easy matchup... he always goal against top team..

But to be honest none of our goalie is a concern for me... even when schneider is not on the top of his game he gave the devils a chance to win....

My concern is last night we didnt match up against a top team.... 12 shot on goal...no puck possession, not many chance to score make us lose. Because you know what they says « When you're not often in the offensive zone mean your stock in your own zone»

Brunner spark this team offense lately and make a huge difference... well now he is injured. 

Guy like Henrique, Boucher or Clowe when he will came back need to step up....

Patty cant play with bernier and teddy bear forever...

Elias looke really good lately and that help brunner to shine... Now it time to do the same with henrique... (he doesnt play bad games, but he doesnt have points and need to produce )

Marty is the man. I was at the TSO concert at the Rock yesterday and the lead guy had a Brodeur shirt on that's enough for me.

He must know. Marty is the starter. As goes Marty goes the Devils. I don't beleive that. I really don';t believe that.

It's as goes Gionta and Janssen along with Sestito and Harrold goes the DeBoer system of failure, I do believe that !

Enjoy tomorrow, I will with family and friends and I hope you do as well.

2014/15 season is coming for the Devils it is less than 45 Devils games away. The Devils don't belong in the 2013/14 playoffs and you know it.

Go NE Pats.

I agree that the bottom line is they need wins. Even with his rough patch this month, I still think Schneider is the goaltender that gives them the best chance to win game in and game out. As Mike Brown said earlier, it seems to be a coincidence that the Devils go MIA during Schneider's starts. I wouldn't expect this trend to continue this drastically throughout the entire year and I'd expect the teams effort to even out amongst Schneider and Brodeur starts by the end of the year.

Brodeur's been roughly a .904 SV%, 2.36 GAA goalie the past 3 years and now he's 41. That doesn't give me much confidence that he should be the #1 game in and game out.

I agree that the bottom line is they need wins. Even with his rough patch this month, I still think Schneider is the goaltender that gives them the best chance to win game in and game out. As Mike Brown said earlier, it seems to be a coincidence that the Devils go MIA during Schneider's starts. I wouldn't expect this trend to continue this drastically throughout the entire year and I'd expect the teams effort to even out amongst Schneider and Brodeur starts by the end of the year.

Brodeur's been roughly a .904 SV%, 2.36 GAA goalie the past 3 years and now he's 41. That doesn't give me much confidence that he should be the #1 game in and game out.

In bold:  yep.  Will I always be happy for Marty with each win, especially knowing that his career will soon be coming to an end?  Sure.  Do I feel comfortable with him as the kind-of #1?  How can anyone?  His valleys are pretty tough to watch. 

Unfortunately, Schneider can't seem to go on the kind of run he needs to...not yet, anyway.  Some of it has been rotten luck for sure, but 17 GA and an .874 save% in five games isn't going to get it done either.  His season numbers are no longer significantly better than Marty's this season.  It's frustrating...I can't really get on Marty for being what he's been for a while now...he is what he is.  But Schneider is supposed to be better than what he's shown so far.  Hopefully he finds himself in the second half...AND the Devils start supporting him. 

As for the game...always sucks when a team like the Blackhawks reminds you of why you're treading water at around NHL .500.  The second-half sched and meh Metro division should help the Devils at least, or at the very least, give them a shot to make the playoffs.