GDT: Penguins @ Devils 7PM

PWW

Good game Marty! AGAIN

good to see ryder and brunner seperated,

zubrus and zajak starting to get it, zubies stick handling is back

PP is trash, dont like brunner on the half boards, but the real problem is ENTRANCE! just horrible dumps by harrold & co

all the Dmen were solid with the exception of some last second TOs exiting our Dzone

nice shot by jagr, MAF didnt think there was any room on the short side there

Patty is rusty, deboer still tinkering with these lines

inb4 complaints about how Larsson doesn't show enough emotion on the ice. Kid was alright tonight, but his plays were big plays. His first game below 50% in CF in a long time (had 6 in a row at 50+%).

I was the one who mentioned his demeanor tonight. I actually liked it. He just seems so focused and is starting to break out. Not his best game but yeah did have some nice plays including a wicked shot.

Great win. 7-4-2 in their last 13...the Devils can be tough to watch, maddening at times, but 7-4-2 is pretty solid.

Marty has seemingly turned back the clock 10 years...I have no idea how, but I love that he's proving so many people wrong who thought he had finally run out of steam (I was one of them).

I think they're both doing really good jobs in net, but at the same time, the seemingly random stupidity defensive play has stopped and they're doing a good job of protecting the goalies.   I'm not sure he's as "bad" as he was at the beginning of the season and I'm not sure he's as "unbeatable" as he looks now.   Just a good defensive team game.    

They gave up a breakaway (which Pittsburgh scored on).  Gone are the garbage goals like the one Lucic scored or the one Michalek scored - he's making those stops.  The defense isn't giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and that's helping but he's making the stops on other scoring chances, something he wasn't doing early on in the season.

Ryder looked alright. MAF robbed him on that one where he stole the puck and split the D. He'll get one soon, I think. Marty was awesome last night, the crowd was awesome, and it was a solid win. I haven't seen them lose since opening night... and even that was a just a shootout loss. 5-0-1 !

What i really like about the Devils lately is that it seems like Deboer "opened" his system a bit leaving more creativity to the players. To me anyway this team right now is more "fun" to watch than the team who made it to the cup finals (there's a fine line here, it was AWESOME to see the boys crushing the flyers and Rangers but it was repetitive plays and hard battles along the boards and a very strict structure, not exciting hockey) but we got results, which we're fun

To me this year the biggest change is Jagr and Gelinas, Jagr is SO good at holding on to the puck and keeping possession it's absolutely unreal, and he's making GREAT plays cause he's holding on to the puck and he's looking around for plays he's not simply dumping in behind the red line every time he's pressured. Seems like other players are starting to do the same too. Guys are crossing and entering the offensive zone a LOT more too making plays off the rush rather than dumping every single time too. Way more exciting to watch

Then Gelinas, of course Larsson is older and he's joining the attack a lot more but now when the puck goes to the point im actually excited and expecting a real chance of an offensive threat, rather than knowing even before the puck gets there that the puck is going there to die to Salvador or A-Train. Our system relied on getting the puck to the point from the red line and getting a shot with traffic in front but we had mostly horrible shooters. Gelinas shot is deadly and giving trouble to goalies for sure. The kid has to be here to stay. We seriously dont need Salvador AND A-Train on the ice during a game. Too much of a expensive not that good option lol

Also eventhough i can agree that Harrold may not be our best dman i think he's the best to skate the puck out of our zone. He's really often turning spinning around a forechecker and beating him with his speed entering the neutral zone with 1-2 guys behind him instead of having pass or go through all 5 guys. He also made a fvcking sweet pass to Bernier for that breakaway. I just don't think he's getting the credit he deserves at time.

The boys are starting to get it together we're really damn close to a playoff spot

Edited by SterioDesign

:doh1:  Do people even watch the games anymore?  A professional writer actually wrote this.

SIMILAR SCRIPT
When the Devils and Penguins get together in New Jersey there are a few things that are to be expected. The game will be a tight, low scoring affair and the Devils will clog up the neutral zone to limit scoring chances. The Pens can break through for some quality scoring chances, but on this night they just weren’t able to capitalize. 

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=691872&navid=DL|PIT|home

Gotta be honest though, still don't like what Brunner brings, at all.  I'm starting to think he's really not meant for this system.

I'd honestly consider a trade if the pieces made sense.

He brings speed and a great shot.  He's basically a Sykora, Tedenby, or Gaborik type of player.  The problem is the Devils aren't a team that relies on scoring off the rush.  We're a zone team.  He might not be fit for this system ideally.  Kovalchuk wasn't either.  This team needs physical guys who can score in order for this team to be successful.  I still like Brunner though, and I still think he can help this team.

• Like 1

What i really like about the Devils lately is that it seems like Deboer "opened" his system a bit leaving more creativity to the players. To me anyway this team right now is more "fun" to watch than the team who made it to the cup finals (there's a fine line here, it was AWESOME to see the boys crushing the flyers and Rangers but it was repetitive plays and hard battles along the boards and a very strict structure, not exciting hockey) but we got results, which we're fun

To me this year the biggest change is Jagr and Gelinas, Jagr is SO good at holding on to the puck and keeping possession it's absolutely unreal, and he's making GREAT plays cause he's holding on to the puck and he's looking around for plays he's not simply dumping in behind the red line every time he's pressured. Seems like other players are starting to do the same too. Guys are crossing and entering the offensive zone a LOT more too making plays off the rush rather than dumping every single time too. Way more exciting to watch

Then Gelinas, of course Larsson is older and he's joining the attack a lot more but now when the puck goes to the point im actually excited and expecting a real chance of an offensive threat, rather than knowing even before the puck gets there that the puck is going there to die to Salvador or A-Train. Our system relied on getting the puck to the point from the red line and getting a shot with traffic in front but we had mostly horrible shooters. Gelinas shot is deadly and giving trouble to goalies for sure. The kid has to be here to stay. We seriously dont need Salvador AND A-Train on the ice during a game. Too much of a expensive not that good option lol

Also eventhough i can agree that Harrold may not be our best dman i think he's the best to skate the puck out of our zone. He's really often turning spinning around a forechecker and beating him with his speed entering the neutral zone with 1-2 guys behind him instead of having pass or go through all 5 guys. He also made a fvcking sweet pass to Bernier for that breakaway. I just don't think he's getting the credit he deserves at time.

The boys are starting to get it together we're really damn close to a playoff spot

The Devils didn't just dump it in against the Flyers and Rangers - I can think of tons of goals they scored that were off the rush.  I don't think DeBoer has changed very much at all, it's just that the Devils' ability to get chances off the rush depends on the transition game, and that has improved a great deal from the beginning of the year.

As for Brunner, he had some terrible shot off a cycle play that made me think he doesn't quite understand the concept yet.  He had a dynamite rush against the Kings which almost resulted in a goal, but yeah he's got to figure out how to get scoring chances.

Like Tri said...I don't think PDB changed anything. I just think a) Larsson is playing better b) Gelinas c) no Sal/Volch. Better transition, better passes from the d-zone, better breakouts...not a change in system but better execution. And some different players suiting up.

The Devils didn't just dump it in against the Flyers and Rangers - I can think of tons of goals they scored that were off the rush.  I don't think DeBoer has changed very much at all, it's just that the Devils' ability to get chances off the rush depends on the transition game, and that has improved a great deal from the beginning of the year.

As for Brunner, he had some terrible shot off a cycle play that made me think he doesn't quite understand the concept yet.  He had a dynamite rush against the Kings which almost resulted in a goal, but yeah he's got to figure out how to get scoring chances.

i dont agree, during the playoffs you'd never or rarely see a guy with the puck on our blueline making a cross neutral zone pass to winger on the other side of a rushing center it would drive me absolutely crazy, they'd play safe chipping the puck along the boards and would always play the puck along the boards even breaking out in the offensive zone they'd mostly always going on the outside no matter if they had options down the middle. They certainly had the options but they simply wouldnt do it. I understand the risk in tight games to make cross neutral zone passes though but like i said you see a LOT more X plays in the neutral zone now than before, they stay on the same side as they breakout from their zone.

Trust me on this, i see this as a big positive and for sure they we're not doing it as much before.

Like Tri said...I don't think PDB changed anything. I just think a) Larsson is playing better b) Gelinas c) no Sal/Volch. Better transition, better passes from the d-zone, better breakouts...not a change in system but better execution. And some different players suiting up.

its a possibility but i the way they we're restraining themselves absolutely NOT making obvious passes in the neutral zone even if it was right there compared to now, i really think DeBoer twisted his system a little. 

I clearly clearly remember our winger passing our blueline with the puck on one side and pusing the puck between the winger and boardsat the other blueline to the opposing dman while we had a cutting center or winger wide open on the other side, it was clear they we're directed to play safe along the boards. I'd be extremely surprised if it wasnt the case. 

Great win. 7-4-2 in their last 13...the Devils can be tough to watch, maddening at times, but 7-4-2 is pretty solid.

Marty has seemingly turned back the clock 10 years...I have no idea how, but I love that he's proving so many people wrong who thought he had finally run out of steam (I was one of them).

This isn't the first time he's done this. The first 3 months of the 2011-2012 season were a disaster and Hedberg was playing well at the time. Brodeur had a 3.06 GAA and a .884 save percentage, and we know how well he rebounded in the 2nd half of the season and in the playoffs. (situation discussed in this thread: http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115425&hl=%2Bsituation) It's funny reading that one and reading people saying the same thing two years ago. But this is what the great ones do.

The issue was, unlike in 2011, there was no goalie like Schneider behind him to take over. So, I don't think anyone is wrong for wanting Brodeur out of the nets since he was awful last season and atrocious to begin the season. And you have a friggen stud behind him in nets. Even Deboer and Lou and were ready to go in another direction as Deboer had sat down with Marty telling him they were going with Cory.

Although, we were probably a little unfair to him after missing a portion of the pre-season and dealing with the death of his father a few weeks before the season started. We dismiss the human element so often in sports, and it's more of a shame when we do it when it is so public as well. 

I'm as happy as anyone that Brodeur is playing so well, but I still think Schneider is a better option than Brodeur at his best right now. I think Schneider has been average so far, and that's been pretty damn good. But having two great goalies has never been a problem. So if Marty keeps playing at this level, I won't care too much about who gets any starts, and I'll just enjoy watching a legend play so well a little longer.

Edited by devilsrule33

They gave up a breakaway (which Pittsburgh scored on).  Gone are the garbage goals like the one Lucic scored or the one Michalek scored - he's making those stops.  The defense isn't giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and that's helping but he's making the stops on other scoring chances, something he wasn't doing early on in the season.

That wasn't really a lapse, though, it was just an old guy getting caught flatfooted.    I mean early in the season they had an issue where both defensemen were going to the wall and no one was covering the back door, and it was happening right and left.  And of course the infamous GWG against Calgary where the Flame went backdoor and skated right past both defensemen and neither reacted... lol.  They just seem alot sounder defensively and I think it's carrying over to the goalies as well.

happy as hell about the win. Was at Streetlight Manifesto and had to keep checking the twitters. I was with my ranger fan friend, he was always booing everytime the devils scored haha. But sucky for us, the rags won too. Oh well.. Love winning against the Pens. Hopefully they can keep this up

SD, if the Devils lose two out of three on the West Coast road trip (a tough one), will you promptly go back to bitching about Lou and DeBoer? 

DR33, re:  Brodeur, I've statistically pointed out the surges before in 2010-2011 and 2011-12, but let's face it, at Marty's age, it makes sense to be more and more cautious as the years pass.  2011 was almost three years ago, 2012 was almost two...feels like a while ago already.  Just because he's done it at 38 and 39 doesn't mean anyone should expect it at 41.   

I'm as thrilled as anyone that Marty's doing this...it is truly awesome.  It's great to click on to ESPN, look up Marty's numbers, see the projections and see numbers that are right up there with Marty's best seasons.  No, he won't keep this up, and he'll probably have another shaky stretch in time, but right now, this is really really fun. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976