Scott Stevens No Longer on Coaching Staff

DevsMan84

I have little doubt this was mostly Lou's decision, and most likely based on Stevens not being a great fit for the younger defensemen.  Who knows, maybe the players gave the same message in the exit interviews teams tend to do.  Not that they told Lou what to do, just that Stevens was negatively affecting their play.

As to the timing and the official explanation, I imagine it might have something to do with Stevens having the ability to land a coaching job somewhere else.

I have little doubt this was mostly Lou's decision, and most likely based on Stevens not being a great fit for the younger defensemen.  Who knows, maybe the players gave the same message in the exit interviews teams tend to do.  Not that they told Lou what to do, just that Stevens was negatively affecting their play.

As to the timing and the official explanation, I imagine it might have something to do with Stevens having the ability to land a coaching job somewhere else.

I'm not sure this makes much sense. I don't think Lou is that petty and if it really was Lou's choice, he obviously didn't think Stevens was a good coach so why would he care if he went elsewhere? It's not like Scott Stevens the assistant coach is bringing fans in

I'm not sure this makes much sense. I don't think Lou is that petty and if it really was Lou's choice, he obviously didn't think Stevens was a good coach so why would he care if he went elsewhere? It's not like Scott Stevens the assistant coach is bringing fans in

I meant the opposite of what you're getting at.  That is to make it seem like it has nothing to do with performance issues, in order to allow him to get a job somewhere else. 

lol you guys really WANT there to be more to it, especially since it fits the meme about him being detrimental to the kids. News flash: Some things are actually true at face value. I guess people forgot how long Stevens resisted getting into coaching in the first place because of family concerns.

I meant the opposite of what you're getting at. That is to make it seem like it has nothing to do with performance issues, in order to allow him to get a job somewhere else.

Again they couldn't have concocted this in July? Three months after/before the season? Waiting to announce this now gives him basically zero chance of being on a staff this year if that was what he wanted.

lol you guys really WANT there to be more to it, especially since it fits the meme about him being detrimental to the kids. News flash: Some things are actually true at face value. I guess people forgot how long Stevens resisted getting into coaching in the first place because of family concerns.

This. I remember him taking that "consultation" coaching position first so he could still be with his family. Then he jumped on full time when Robinson left if I remember right.

He is unsure, but my theory is was the first step to encourage him to re-sign.

this is a bit silly, no? To think that Lou would allow an unsigned rfa to somehow dictate coaching decisions- never mind the fact that the coach in question is perhaps the greatest player in franchise history.

If Lou needed to fire a coach to encourage gelinas to re-sign, I'm sure Lou would have traded gelinas' rights long before he even thought about caving in.

""Scotty Stevens will not be coming back this year. There is nothing to read into," Lamoriello stressed. "It's not the organization. It's just a decision he made.

"I'm sure it's not something that will be long term. I'm sure he will be back in coaching, hopefully here some day. It's just a personal thing. Personal or professional. Any way you want to look at it."

Stevens had been reluctant in past years to accept an assistant coaching position because he did not want to travel so often. He agreed to return to the road as a member of DeBoer's staff in 2012.

Albelin has been an assistant coach with the Albany Devils (AHL). He is also a former NHL defenseman.

"It's the perfect scenario without Scotty because of Tommy working with the young guys we've had in the minors," Lamoriello said.

Lamoriello said Stevens would not be returning to the Devils at any point this season.

"No. I don't believe that will happen," the GM said."

What I find strange is the timing of this announcement. I also get confused with the language from Lou: "Scotty Stevens will not be coming back this year."

"Lamoriello said Stevens would not be returning to the Devils at any point this season."

and then "I don't believe so"????

"No. I don't believe that will happen," the GM said.

Are you kidding me? Is Stevens trying to coach elasewhere?

I don't believe this was done to get Gelinas to re-sign.

""Scotty Stevens will not be coming back this year. There is nothing to read into," Lamoriello stressed. "It's not the organization. It's just a decision he made.

"I'm sure it's not something that will be long term. I'm sure he will be back in coaching, hopefully here some day. It's just a personal thing. Personal or professional. Any way you want to look at it."

Stevens had been reluctant in past years to accept an assistant coaching position because he did not want to travel so often. He agreed to return to the road as a member of DeBoer's staff in 2012.

Albelin has been an assistant coach with the Albany Devils (AHL). He is also a former NHL defenseman.

"It's the perfect scenario without Scotty because of Tommy working with the young guys we've had in the minors," Lamoriello said.

Lamoriello said Stevens would not be returning to the Devils at any point this season.

"No. I don't believe that will happen," the GM said."

What I find strange is the timing of this announcement. I also get confused with the language from Lou: "Scotty Stevens will not be coming back this year."

"Lamoriello said Stevens would not be returning to the Devils at any point this season."

and then "I don't believe so"????

"No. I don't believe that will happen," the GM said.

Are you kidding me? Is Stevens trying to coach elasewhere?

I don't believe this was done to get Gelinas to re-sign.

I think this all fits into Stevens not being comfortable as a coach and wanting to spend time with his family. He's definitely gone for this year, and then maybe he and Lou will revisit it.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Similar to when Carpenter "left" the organization. He left to take of his ailing dad in Mass. & never heard again from the guy.  Like he was in witness protection.  Only later to coach his daughter's hockey team.  

Something soured along the way. Think it may have anything to do with Marty's exit? Curious situation.  Makes you wonder when this was done. (shortly after last season)?

Since we have assumptions going one way... lets try it the other way. Stevens retired with more than money than he will ever need. His kids are older now and not living at home. It could be time to spend with his wife and not leave her alone for road trips and so much travel. Coaches spend more time at the rink as well.

Another option is he didn't love coaching or felt he could relate to younger players.

This could have been known for months and Lou only waited until note because Tommy was always going to be the replacement.

The idea of any young player complaining about a legend like Stevens to Lou is pretty far fetched in my opinion.

Similar to when Carpenter "left" the organization. He left to take of his ailing dad in Mass. & never heard again from the guy. Like he was in witness protection. Only later to coach his daughter's hockey team.

Something soured along the way. Think it may have anything to do with Marty's exit? Curious situation. Makes you wonder when this was done. (shortly after last season)?

How does THAT prove anything? Carpenter didn't go to another NHL organization. If Stevens is coaching in Washington or St. Louis (etc) next year then you guys can talk about how Lou shoved him aside, until then it's baseless speculation.

According to Chere some players are saying that Stevens was disappointed that some of his strategies were not used after missing the playoffs two years in a row. Stevens hated the travel and being away from his family also the long hours at the rink so he felt that the travel wasn't worth it if his ideas weren't going to be used. His relationship with DeBoer was good.

Here's why Stevens resigned as Coach

According to several current and former Devils players, it is believed Stevens did not feel enough of his ideas were being heard on a club that has missed the playoffs two straight seasons.

The former defenseman does not like the grueling travel schedule and being away from his family, which was a major factor. While his relationship with coach Pete DeBoer seemed solid, Stevens is said to feel the travel isn't worth it unless he could institute more of his own strategical ideas.

Um...Does this sound a little... "prima donna" to anyone else?